Coyotes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MG

Coyotes

Post by MG »

I figured out why I havent seen any deer lately. Tonite I was just about to leave my stand when I heard something walking through the snow about 60-70 yrds away. Thinking it was a deer I stayed a bit longer. Finally I see two coyotes appear about 30 yards from my stand and I can hear several others walking off in the brush. Unfortunatly I didnt have a shot. It certainly seemed as though they knew I was there as they kept looking my direction and had their noses up sniffing the wind. I watched them for about 10 mins and they disappeared. At this point it was pretty dark and I was a bit unnerved as I had to trek back through the woods to the road. Im wondering has anyone ever had problems with yotes attacking them. I mean if it was one thats no biggie but 7 or 8 is a bit scary. I've heard they can get pretty brave after dark. I find myself wondering if I should even walk to or from my stand in the dark with this many animals around. I've never really thought much about this situation till now.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have never had any real problems with coyotes walking through the bush in the dark. However as i mentioned in another post a buddy of mine had a pack of 8-10 come 10 feet from him. They didnt "attack" him but it was enough for him to be looking for toliet paper. I dont think you have anything to worry about i was always told they are more scared of you then you of them! Good luck
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

huntman wrote:I dont think you have anything to worry about i was always told they are more scared of you then you of them! Good luck
I would exercise caution, when the coyote was doing this to my leg I have very little doubt I was more scared than him. This was in the middle of the day too. Most will run away from people, but not all.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

All the more reason to get the new 243wssm Browning Varmint Stalker out and blast away at some yotes!!! I would like to hear more about your incounter with them? I have had them close to the stand befor daylight but never felt threatend by them.

RyanB
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

I was out rabbit hunting on boxing day and two minutes after sighting in with seven shots into a stump, I see a yote running right at me. He was about 70 yrds or so and stopped, I took a shot at him with the
.22 magnum. He was facing me I aimed for the centre of his chest.
He jumped and ran off, I tried to track him but couldn't find any tracks.
I was very surprized that he would come so soon after the shots. I had the wind in my favor but still.
I plan on hunting them this weekend with a bigger weapon :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Here is an older post we discussed coyotes on..
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... coyote+leg

I have been having a problem with them on my own property lately, they are getting closer and closer every day. On the night of the last meteor shower my wife and one of my 3 kids were laying in the lawn staring into the sky, a coyote came ripping up the road and came to about 10 feet of where we were laying, again I was unarmed. We never did see that one, but the noises it made coming up the road made the hair on my neck stand up.
I have modified a Wingmaster to deal with these things in the future :D .
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
rutman

Post by rutman »

There on to the baitpiles and they set up and wait. I just got a doe and just after the shot a coyote intercepted it's death run. By the time I picked up my buddy and tracked it the coyote or him and his buds had eaten the tail off and the top of the hind quarters to the base of the spine. A friend of mine had a weak hit, gave it time and came back with his son. the deer was still alive so he opted to come bak in the morning. Bad choice, the deer was completely eaten only the hide and head left. He said it looked like an axe murder seen. :shock:
The flashlight idea is a good one, act like your hunting for them and they will not likely ever bother you. I've been hunting around deer yard packs and never had an opportunity to shoot one with the bow.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
fletch

Post by fletch »

This is a big problem right now in the subdivisions a few miles from me. The coyotes seem to be adapting to the neighbourhoods and easy meals. And I have seen 2 deer carcasses and 5 turkey remains on the land I hunt. After deer season is over I will try to lower the pop of the coyotes.

Family warns others after coyotes kill pet
Geoff Nixon, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Wednesday, December 19, 2007
A Greely family is warning residents to beware of coyotes lurking in their backyards after a fatal attack on their beloved family pet, an 11-year-old Lhasa Apso named Kailas.

Derek Marcotte described yesterday how Kailas was snatched from their backyard two weeks ago.

It was a frigid night of -20 temperatures -- too cold to stand around and keep watch while his dogs did "their business" -- so he let them out unsupervised.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****"I took a look around, there was nothing," Mr. Marcotte said yesterday. "Everything was quiet."

Moments later, Kailas was gone.

"I came out not two minutes later and there was a big, rather large, coyote in my backyard, but it did not have my little Lhasa Apso -- there was at least two that were stalking the house."

He spent hours looking for Kailas that evening, only to find coyote tracks as well as a telltale trail of his dog being dragged along with them.

The next day, he found her remains.

The family has now built a fenced-in dog run for their other dog, a six-year-old Golden Retriever named Karma, in hopes of protecting her from the same fate.

And while he worries about Karma, he worries even more about his two young children.

In recent weeks, he has had two coyotes advance in his direction -- once when he was out with his nine-year-old son, another time when he was by himself -- and it has left him a little unnerved.

"This whole thing hit way too close to home," Mr. Marcotte said.

He and his wife, Gillian Leyland, have also hired trappers to come look for the coyotes and to determine what can be done to prevent them from hanging around their property.

The family has also reached out to other pet owners in the community only to learn that they are not the only ones to have run-ins with coyotes in recent months.

According to what they've heard, at least two other dog owners have lost pets in suspected coyote attacks in recent months, and at least 10 area cats have gone missing over the same period.

They've spoken to the Greely Community Association which has sent out an e-mail warning its members to be wary of coyotes.

"We just really wanted everyone to be aware that this is becoming a problem and to take precautions," he said.

"We really saw signs, but we ignored them. Who thinks of a coyote attacking something in their own yard?"

© The Ottawa Citizen 2007
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

we have a coyote problem where i hunt i never go to the woods without my 6 shooter dont much time to strap it on,,,,,,,they get very brave . last year my son killed a turkey & before he got to it a coyote grabbed it & ran off,,,,you need to do some house cleanning ,get a rabbit squealer set it up 40,50 yards away , take that rifle & hammer a few.we are going to do some house cleanning soon,we hunt on a cattle ranch always a dead cow now & then they feed on tha carcus.

have a good day hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

u need to even the odds for sure and start taking a few out
rutman

Post by rutman »

What we have here aren't really coyotes. A real coyote averages 22 lbs.. The ones here the ministry has refered to as coydogs. They are crossbreeds, have timberwolf genetics and I would say are more a brushwolf than a coyote. They average about 35- 40lbs. They do require respect when it comes to children and pets. Some kids here last year were chased from the bus stop into the house by a small pack.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Where I deer hunt is loaded with turkeys, which seem to attract the coyotes. The last 2 times out I have wound up shooting a coyote. Maybe if I start hunting coyotes I will shoot a deer. :)
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

BigTiny,

Shoot a deer and then hunt the coyotes over the gut pile for the next few days :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Ive had coyotes take the offensive stand when there was many of them they get brave when in numbers. speacially when they are hungry..I came up on a downed deer i let expire due to a what i thought was a bad hit and when i got there they were munchin away bunch of them I scared them off with crazy redneck dancin but they didnt like like it a bit and stayed close. Even as I drug the deer to the truck in the dark I could here them runnin all around...DONT take them for little dogs..Always be on the ready to defend yourself..Ilike Ecoasters Idea done it it works....or not just agut pile but after you bone out your deer take it back and hunt over it a day or so and thin out the yotes..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

I made a number of posts last week about the coyote problem and the fear being expressed by one mother living in the suburbs as the coyotes are getting more aggressive.

We lost an entire deer except the head after a shot in the last 10 minutes one evening in mid October. We were unsure about the exact locaton of the hit so decided to let it lay for the night as we have done many time before. By morning only the head, neck and bones remained. They had totally stipped all the meet and only the intact skeleton remained. We were very POed.

I will state it again. MNR is totally unaware of the menace that is building in the coyote population. I wonder how many attacks on children by coyotes it will take before MNR decides to act to cull the coyote numbers. I truly hope these desk jockeys are reading this forum and bring back the boundy. A $100 a head would bring some action and cull the numbers. However, we all know it will take the loss of humans before MNR does anything. The loss of pets will blamed by MNR on the pet owners not keeping an eye on the pets or keeping them inside. MNR will tell eveyone the coyote is only exhibiting its natural behavior in killing pets. What will they say to the parents when the coyotes starting attacking children or hauling them off into the woods. Wake up MNR as Ontario has a coyote over population problem. The hunters, the folks actually in the bush, are telling you there is a problem.

I hope that is plain enough language for them to understand.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur