Lumi Zone fogging

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Lumi Zone fogging

Post by Cossack »

I'm done hunting but would like to get back to shooting for fun. Problem is both my bows are decked out with Lumi Zone scope. Have read elsewhere about them fogging up from significant changes in temp. I keep my bow indoors but would be shooting in temps that are at least 50 degrees colder. Anyone with experience around same situations?
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i hunted on some cold days 0 to -2 F on a couple time ......i was very pleasantly surprised how well the scope performed
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

warningshot

Had the bow been inside prior to hunting? If so, it presumably went from 70F to 0 on the same day, right?
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Is this something specific to the Lumi-zone? My son's Vortex has the Varizone on it and we keep it inside. We've never had a problem with it fogging up when going from inside temps to outside temps. It might fog when you initally take it outside but once it's been acclimatized it shouldn't fog up unless you're breathing on it.

Dave
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

hey cossack you are correct... i have heard of the problems .. but i had no problems with fog up in extreme temps ....hunted in every kind of weather....sun, rain, snow and freezing rain ...ended up shooting a decent buck in minus 17C or 0 F...the bow and scope performed to my expectations ....
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

I live in S. Ga. where it gets real hot and humid in the summer time . My scope will fog when I go from inside to outside . I keep the house at around 72 deg. in the summer and it may be as hot as mid to high 90's when I go out to shoot . Do to injury have not been able to hunt this winter (only had a few cold days so far ) so can't compare . But notice the fogging is on the outside only , therefore no problem.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

I think it may be a leak in the scope itself. Scopes are supposed to be gas filled to prevent fogging, no?
Stash

Post by Stash »

We've sold quite a few Lumizones at our store, and as far as I know we have not had a single one returned, and I have not heard a single complaint from a customer.

As for the Varizones, in the past 3 years, I can only remember maybe 2 that have been returned fogged up. That's out of hundreds and hundreds sold.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My lumizone has performed flawlessly . My varizone fogged up this year after bear hunting , made a call to Excalibur and had a replacement in 2 days :D :D . If you have a problem they will fix you up .
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

For the record, I am very pleased with the performance of my 2 Lumi Zones. I picked up some chatter (here or elsewhere) about instances of INTERNAL fogging, i.e. seal failure, apparently under circumstances where a significant temp change was involved. Just following up to see if was an individual instance or if others had similar experience.
fletch

Post by fletch »

mine goes from 22c to whatever the temp outside -12c is the coldest yet but never had a problem yet.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I have been tracking all warranty at Excalibur and the Lumi-Zone has been the most trouble free model ever (and we get about .05% of all scope models sold back for warranty which is outstanding) and I have had very few come back due to fogging problems, maybe 3. I also have been using a Lumi-Zone this season and it worked perfect. We're happy with the quality of our scopes.

Peter
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

That's what I've been looking for Peter. Thanks for the substantive reply.