keep losing arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newbi

keep losing arrows

Post by Newbi »

I hunt from a ground blind because I really don't feel comfortable in high places. I've had good success from the ground, but I have a very had time locating my arrows after the shot. I have a great hunting spot, but it's covered in brush and knee high grass. With pass through shots, which they always are, the arrows seem to head out into eternity, never to be seen again, no matter how hard I look. I do my best to mark the shot, but have only found one out of the last 5. Is there any solution to this problem short of climbing a tree, or should I just consider this a part of my hunting trip?
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

It's part of hunting from the ground .... hard to find arrows from pass thru's ... they usually enter the grass or cover with low tragectory and get burried ... some travel a long way !

Newbi wrote :
the arrows seem to head out into eternity
They dont go that far .... but dont be surprised if you get a phone call from a Woman in Germany saying " Stop doing that " ! :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Long Trang

Re: keep losing arrows

Post by Long Trang »

Newbi wrote:I hunt from a ground blind because I really don't feel comfortable in high places. I've had good success from the ground, but I have a very had time locating my arrows after the shot. I have a great hunting spot, but it's covered in brush and knee high grass. With pass through shots, which they always are, the arrows seem to head out into eternity, never to be seen again, no matter how hard I look. I do my best to mark the shot, but have only found one out of the last 5. Is there any solution to this problem short of climbing a tree, or should I just consider this a part of my hunting trip?
What about neon vanes and such?
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

If you're shooting aluminum, you could use a metal detector....or even try luminoks ??
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I am using florecent chartreuse vanes, so that hasn't helped. I looked into the lighted nocks, but read some poor reviews on them and wasn't sure I wanted to put out the bucks if it didn't work. Has anyone here tried them? If they do work, they might be worth a try. I could check after dark and maybe have some luck.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
bbbwb

Losing Arrows

Post by bbbwb »

Just an off the cuff suggestion:Try using the fine thread that some use to follow/locate game.I hae not used this but have read about the use of it. This may provide a means of locate.
bbbwb
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hunting from the ground I expect to loose the arrow in most cases. I'd say 1 out of 5 is fairly typical for recovering the arrow.
wabi
crutchracing

Post by crutchracing »

Ive shoot 3 does this year with pass threws just waited untill i had a tree behind them on 2 of them didnt hurt the bolts eather. The 1st one i shoot i found the blood in the snow where the bolt whent.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I spray the back 7" of mine with white lacquer, then overspray the first 2"(of the sprayed part) with florescent paint that matches my Blazers. Makes the bolt much more visible in flight without adding the weight of lighted nocks.