duravane question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowkidd

duravane question

Post by xbowkidd »

i want to switch from 4" to 3"vanes, will this effect my shooting?
Team Dryfire
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Slightly.. What you will notice is that your arrow will be a bit less susceptible to a side wind due to the smaller surface area. my experience has shown me that the smaller the vane the more particular you have to be with broadheads selection and alignment.
I use 4" and 2" with absolutely no difference in point of impact from 10 to 50 yards with a field point, but with a broadhead I get better results from the smaller vanes.
3" in a nice compromise, but I have not seen/tried those.

Have fun, the biggest thing here is that you are willing to try new stuff, that attitude will lead you to a great shooting combination.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I went from 5 inch fletch goldtip lazer II's with aluminum inserts and 100 grain montec's to 4 inch fletch goldtip Lazer II's with brass front insert and 100 grain SST hammers and for the life of me cannot get them to group at all, they are all over the place, I mean all over, even missed the target once. So I went and got one of my old arrows with the 5 inch fletch and bango-bulls eye. The only thing I could figure was the the 4 inch fletch wasn't stabilizing the arrow properly.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I had the same problem, after much trial and error, My finding were that the stiffer the vane the better the arrow shot. My exocet is over 320 fps with a 355 gr bolt. The faster the bolt the bigger the problem got. When I was 299 fps, 400 gr bolt a 3 inch duravane was purrfect. Got a ff string, fixed bolts to weigh 355 gr, went crazy. I take 4 inch killer vanes and cut them around 3 1/2 in. With a paper cutter. Field tips and slick tricks are in the same place. This works for me, Good luck!!!

Stosh
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Go figure, I went from stock Excal bolts, GT Lazer II and 5" vanes and so so accuracy to GT's with 110 gr brass inerts and 2" Blazers, shooting 100 gr Slick Trick mags. Got a dramatic improvement in accuracy. Could it be your choice of BH? I'm finding smallish 4 bladed fixed BHs fly best from my Vortex.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I switched to the 2" Blazer vanes also on my gold tip lazerII with brass front inserts & 100gr tips & i got a little more speed and the accuracy is awsome at all distances , they clam they are a very good Broad head vane , i really like them .