Broken stock?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eltin

Broken stock?

Post by Eltin »

I recently purchased my first excalibur, an equinox. I've got to say, i love it, but after a few weeks i'm starting to have some problems.
I'm not sure if it's just paranoia but thee are tiny cracks and lines all over the face of the limbs. I assumed this were just cracks in the paint and don't have anything to do with cracks in the limbs. I've shot the bow many time and didn't have a problem, but just to be sure, should i be worried?
My second problem is what concerns me most. The Metal part of the stock doesn't seem to be correctly attached to the synthetic hande part.
There's a gap of about 1/8 of an inch between the the safety latch and the part of the stock that has the bracing grove.
The bow was shipped this way so i didn't give it much thought untill recently i noticed the metal part actually moved a little of i applied pressure to it.
This is resulting in huge accuracy loss; one moment it's dead on, the other i'm overshooting the target.
I'm afraid one of these days the stock is just going to fall apart in my hand ...
What should i do?

-A concerned costumer
saxman

Post by saxman »

I would call x-cal or e mail your concerns.
I would not shoot it untill I was satisfied everything was alright.
For the limbs you can run a cotton ball up and down the limbs if the cracks catch cotton you could have a limb problem.
As for the stock,I have a small gap also on my equinox but not 1/8.
You will be pleased at the level of service you receive.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Unless you dry fired it or used excessively light bolts (uner 350 grs) it doesn't sound like your libs are cracking, just the surface paint checkering from being bent. Same thing happened with my Vortex.
Make sure all the screw (bolts) are tightened. Those that hold bow to handle as well as those that hold trigger to bow. Those two actually hold the scope base in place and if loose will result in poor accuracy. Mine did that too. I used (blue) LocTite to keep them from backing out.
If those don't fix it, apply previous mention remedy.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What Cossak said.

All bolts loosen with repeated shooting unless loc tited in.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
peter p

Post by peter p »

The tiny grooves are normal in the face of the limb.
Tighten your screws that hold the stock and rail together and see if that tightens everything up.
Eltin

Post by Eltin »

I took apart the stock and the rail and pushed the stock back into position.
It looks about right now and the rail no longer lifts out of the stock!
I'm going to take a few shots with the bow later to see how it goes but it seems ok again

Thanks for the quick responses and the great help :)
navaman

Post by navaman »

hey woody, I use the the heck out of loctite red. I havn't had any problems with ANYTHING working loose.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Anyone experienced in horizontal compound bow shooting knows well the value of periodically checking and tightening all bolts and screws in a rig.

It is a habit crossbow shooters should get into too.
Grizz