Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lp3

Extreme Shrink Fletch Blazer

Post by lp3 »

First time on,take it easy. What about the shrink blazers,any good
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Good first post, I was going to ask about this as well.

Welcome aboard!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I don't have any first hand experience to share, but I remember these coming up a year or so ago, those who used them liked them.
I don't know what they are called or I would help you search out those threads.
Welcome to the forum!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Shrink Blazer worked very well for me before I started making bolts from components. Easy to put on and take off, tough as the "real thing". Only downside I experienced is that the shrink tubing the vanes are attached to adds weight to the back of the bolt which lowers FOC ratio a bit.
(About like using wraps). If you aren't concerned about that or don't like gluing on fletching, that's the way to go.

Some tips on application:
1) Get the water quite hot, but not boiling, in a container tall enough to immerse back of arrow past the leading edge of the shrink tubing.
2) Position the unshrunk tubing onto the prepped* arrow to exactly where you will want it, paying attention to where the cock feather goes if appropriate. Once shrunk on it will not move!
3) Lower the arrow and blazer tubing into the hot water slowly (take about 3-4 seconds) to allow the air trapped under the tubing to escape.

*I make sure all old glue is scraped of and clean off back of arrow with acetone (carefully, if you have plastic nocks, acetone disolves plastic).
saxman

Post by saxman »

I don't know about the wraps but
WELCOME to the forum
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Here's another question.

If the FOC is a bit off, can you not go to a heavier broadhead? I know changing the insert would help, but some guys may not want to start tinkering with the arrow components.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I guess you could change for a heavier broadhead. However, I changed out a 45 gr aluminum insert for a brass one weighing 65 grns more. That would amount to a 165 grn broadhead in my case. I'm concerned that one that large may start steering the bolt.
My best accuracy comes from smallish, 4 bladed broadheads... 100 grn Slick Trick Mags to be specific.
lp3

Shrink Fletch Blazers

Post by lp3 »

Hey there,Thank you all. I just keep learning more