Turkey Chokes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Turkey Chokes

Post by DropTine »

I am thinking of getting a Extended Ported Turkey Choke for my 870. Is the number of kill pellets and range difference noticable between a factory Full choke and an Extended Ported Turkey Choke? I will be shooting 3 1/2" shells, Any preferences, shells and chokes, that should work with this gun?

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

That is a loaded question for what works in my gun might not in yours .But here is what I use an 870 with forcing cone lengthened,ported barrel with a briley straight rifled turkey choke, shooting kent high speed turkey load in #5`s.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Doe Master,
what distance is that shot pattern from?
TPM

Post by TPM »

Doe Master is on the right track with whatever works in one gun may not work in another. If you have the opportunity to try different choke/load combinations that's the best way to go. The extended straight rifled turkey chokes seem to perform best but I would avoid using a ported choke for a couple of reasons. Porting was originally developed for target guns to help reduce muzzle jump thus allowing you to get on your second shot quicker. Ported chokes soon after became popular with waterfowlers for the same reason. Not quite sure why you would want one for a turkey gun as turkey shooting is usually a one shot proposition but it may may those heavy loads a bit more comfortable to shoot. On the down side, ported chokes are very noisy. Muzzle blast for you and those around can get uncomfortable. They are also a pain to clean as plastic from the shot cups and residue from the powder tend to build up in the ports.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

This is what I use…. Expensive, but worth it.

Choke...

http://www.rhinochokes.com/main.htm

Shells....

http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition. ... ey%20loads
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use the tube that came with my mossberg 835 because it is not as tight as some of the aftermarket tubes.
At shorter ranges a tight tight tube can cause you to miss so I want my pattern to be a little more open.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Peter P. I really don`t remember what the distance was ,but most times I shoot from the 30 yard mark at the club.(dead turkey!!)As for the porting it does help with felt recoil ,as for the cleaning it is a bugger when you shoot cheap shells like federals for sporting clays :shock: .As for the nitros from what I have read they are a good shell but we don`t seem to be able to get them here.Another option is heavy shot ,I know it is more expensive but how many chances do you get .It amazes me people spend all this money on camo,guns ,decoys ,the latest greatest calls but balk at an extra 2.00 $ they would probably spend on a extra large double double after the hunt . :) My best advice would be to get some different shells and try them through your gun .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That picture is an outstanding pattern!
I use the undertaker choke with good results in my 870.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I tired 3-4 different tubes in my 11-87 and the cheaper Tru Glo Gobble Xtreme beat them all. With #4 HV 3inch shells the patterns were unreal at 30 yards. I dont shoot much farther than that, so its a perfect combo for mine. Best advice is buy one good choke tube and about 6 different types of shells and find the best combo for that tube. If you buy 3-4 tubes like I did and 6-7 boxes of shells it gets expensive and the cheaper 19buck tube ended up doing the best for me
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i have a 870 & use a remington turkey super full,,,lead shot only,, it will shoot 80% at 40 yards. i only shoot 3 in. mags . this thing is amazing .

have a goodin hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
JRS

Post by JRS »

I use the Remington Ventilator Extended choke in my 870, along with Winchester high velocity loads in #5. It is an improvement over the Undertaker choke that I had previously.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: With my old 870 12guage I used the Undertaker choke and it was awesome...now that I have switched to an 870 20 guage i'm not sure what choke i'm going to use. Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ill vouch for the undertaker doing well also.. that was 2nd on my list

and for 20-30bucks you cant go wrong either :D
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Mike, The first thing you want to do is get that 20 gauge to a smith and get the forcing cone done.

Now for Chokes the Porting in a aftermarket turkey choke is for one thing - To leave your shoulder on your body ! super Tight chokes kick the day lights out of you.

As I can see it in all the testing I have done and I have built two turkey guns over the years is that You do not need that added shoulder blast of 3 1/2 in shells.

A custom turkey gun is built to do one thing, Place as much of an even pattern around the kill zone of a turkeys head/neck and keeping the highest percentage of shot in that area.

Woody Williams has forwarded bellow a shells thats called Nitro and yes they will open your eyes at the pattern, BUT you can not use these shells in Ontario. Regulations state 4-5-6 shot for turkey hunting. I have been told if caught with these shells in the woods here you will be charged, Heavy shot or not.

I have tested and used these loads in the USA for hunting and I also have tested the same choke a Rhino and I have beat their choke pattern with a Ontario based Choke as well.

Doe Master has shown a target that is shot to heck, but if that target was at 30 yards, thats a good choke combo , but Not the best.

I am in the middle of still testing chokes and what I have found is that a good turkey gun needs a forcing cone lengthened. This helps to form and keep a even pattern in the shells you use. Most new turkey gun modles out now all ready have the forcing cones done in them and they don't have to be done.

A Clean barrel is another good point along with a proper trigger pull in the gun and after you have this gun built , then your shooting a rifle at very close range. I scope my turkey guns, as the optics help keep the pattern where I want it - right in the center of the cross hairs.

Here's my last custom turkey gun
Benelli Nova 20 gauge

Here's a pattern with the Nitro's after testing
and that is 40 yards.

As I have tested on, with this gun, choke and shell combo I have produced a pattern that we here in Ontario can get with the Hevi-13, 3 inch #6

I do not have any target for that load that I kept, but am with no problem placing 145 shot in the 10inch circle at 40 yards.

Don't worry about how many shot hit the head/neck of the target, worry about how many the gun will place around the head/neck at a full 40 yards.....
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
MADMAX2

870 for Turkey?

Post by MADMAX2 »

When I have to use the gun :lol: I use the undertaker in my 870 but I perfer to use my exocet!
The best things in life are not things!!