Shotgun Choice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Shotgun Choice?

Post by bbbwb »

Just a question that I am fielding for some advice. A friend who has xbow hunted for the first time this past deer season is awaiting his PAL licince. He does not own a firearm. He is interested in purchasing a firearm for general hunting --- upland game, migratory bird, small game(rabbits) and deer. He has asked what he should buy? I suggested that for southern Ontario, a general purpose gun would be the shotgun --- 12 gauge as it would provide the opportunity to hunt all including deer with slugs.
The make offered another dilemna. The choice needs to be a good reliable unit that would not cost a fortune.
I thought that this would be a good place to hear opinions as to what others would do. I realize it could lead to a multitude of different ideas but at the same time give many valid points to consider.
Look forward to all thoughts.
bbbwb
huntman

Post by huntman »

Without any hestation i think your buddy should be looking at a remington 870 express. Its cheap and will do everything he needs it for. I would go a step further and have him buy the combo with the fully riffled barell for deer. He may not understand why right now, because he is new to the sport but he will regret it in the future if doesnt. Just my 2 cents i think bang for your buck that is one of the best!
Big John

shotgun

Post by Big John »

I would agree with huntman 100%. 12 ga. Rem. Express combo can't be beat. and if he or she is small in stature, the 20 ga. combo will do the exact same. I have three express Shotgun's. Never a problem with any of them yet. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, someone's got to be different ... and while I am fully aware of the Remington 870's stellar reputation and affordability in the Express line, I've got to admit that I like the Winchester 1300 better myself.

They haven't changed it's name to "Speed Pump" for nothing:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 0&cat=019C

My old 1300 is slick as grease. I like the rib better, and for me it points better ... and in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot it, it is faster, because of it's bolt design.

Don't want to start anything! :D 870s are fine guns.

I just like the Winchester 1300 better ... and I recommend it heartily.
Grizz
TYE

Post by TYE »

Grizz They don't make those anymore . . . I would go With a Remington 870 over any shotgun.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd vote for the Rem. 870
Not that the Winchester isn't a good gun, but Remington is more popular. The company and that model will probably still be around in a few years if parts/repairs/accessories are needed.
I would agree a pump action shotgun is probably the best choice for an "all-around" gun. I've owned a few 870s over the years, and had a couple that woud shoot slugs very well out of a standard barrel. With today's choke tubes one barrel can do abut all that's required. I have a good friend that uses an 870 for small game, deer, and turkey. He added a custom thumbhole laminate stock (and matching forearm) that was claimed to reduce felt recoil by 40-60%, and it actually does tame those magnum turkey & deer slug loads!
That's another advantage to the 870 - many after-market accessories available. I had a Timney "speed-lock" trigger in a trap grade 870 I owned years ago and it made the trigger pull better than a lot of rifles at the time!
wabi
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

I was told you can't get the WIN 1300 anymore..I went with the Benelli NOVA
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

The Remington 870 combo is a grat choice. I have it in 12 gauge. It has a 28" barrell and a 20" rifle sight barrel. Never had a problem withit in all types of weather.My girlfriend has the 870 youth in 20 gauge. She is really happy with it. We have taken lots of deer and small game with these shotguns.
Duey

Post by Duey »

Benelli very good choice.

Duey
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

870... with the rifled slug barrel..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
scratcherky

Post by scratcherky »

My vote is for the Remington 870 Wingmaster Light Contour in 12 gauge. I do not think there is a better all around shotgun.
Don
Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another vote for the 870 combo, rifled/cantelevered barrel..
Outstanding gun.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

Grizz They don't make those anymore . . .
They're back in production at a different plant. They're no longer called the 1300. They're now the "Winchester Speed Pump".
Back to the original question, I think most are on the right track here recomending a 12ga. pump. That's about as versatile and reliable a set-up as you can get. The 870 Express is a good recomendation though Remington has been having some quality control problems lately. A number of them have suffered from rough chambers which has led to extraction problems. This can easily be fixed with a chamber polishing which is quick and easy to do. Trigger pull is also hit and miss with the Expresses but again this is something that can be fixed. If you do look at Expresses try handling both the wood stocked ones and the synthetic stocked ones to see which feels best. The synthetic stocked ones are a little more barrell heavy do to the lighter butt stock but the butts can easily be counter weighted to bring the gun more into balance. If your buddy wants to pay a bit more the 870 Wingmaster is well worth the extra money spent. It is more highly finished inside and out and it has a Light Contour barrel which definetly makes the gun more "lively" handling. The 870 can also be field stripped in a matter of seconds for easy cleaning and maintainance.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bbbwb

Shotgun Choice

Post by bbbwb »

Thanks everyone for your replies and factual information. I will provide this information to him and it will be his decision. We are going out and take the time to shop, handling etc to see just what feels best as well as look to the price. There is no rush as it is a couple of months before turkey season.
Thanks again to all.
bbbwb
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I perferr a the Rem 11-87SP for deer and turkey. I mainly use my 870 express for geese and dove hunting.. both are nice and shoot the same.