What to Buy????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fork Horn

What to Buy????

Post by Fork Horn »

First off I have "most" of the basics ie hang on tree stand, Scent lock gear,gun bow etc
I have $500 in "MAD" money I'm not sure what to do with.
I was thinking climbing stand but thought I would put it out to all you and see
what everyone thinks is more important. I would love to hear all suggestions.
Camper

Post by Camper »

Summit Climber take your pick!
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Yeah, get a Summit. But don't loose any sleep over what exactly to spend your $500 on. Trust me, once bit by the hunting bug, your wallet will empty every time you go into a hunting store :lol: .

This won't be your last decision :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
bbbwb

What to Buy???

Post by bbbwb »

Ecoaster has informed you correctly. Now that you are hooked, it will be decisions, decisions,decisions. Each hunter will have his own ideas as to what equipment one should have. I take by your comment that you have a number of the larger items e.g. tree stand etc. The gadgetry that is out there will overwhelm you, however there are a number of things that one can make or improvise to keep you satisfied. It all depends on the location and accessability. I mostlyhave hunted alone as well as some distance from my vehicle. Most often I hang the deer over night at kill site, dragging it out the next day. Consequently, I invested in a small brass block and tackle with 1/8th" nylon rope . This has been a valued tool because lifting a limp deer as you try to pull a rope to hoist the carcass up is no fun. Do not invest in one with plastic or nylon pulleys as it will not stand up to the task. This along with a small hatchet and break down saw will serve you well.
That is just a start but you can assess your needs as you speculate the different scenarios you may encounter.
Good Luck
bbbwb
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

I bought a summit goliath this fall and it's the best "hunting" money I've spent in a long time. I'm 240 lbs and not real fond of heights but this is comfortable.
Grizzly Adam

Re: What to Buy???

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bbbwb wrote: Most often I hang the deer over night at kill site, dragging it out the next day.
Man, that wouldn't work around here! :shock: You wouldn't have anything left but your tackle and a frayed rope ... and the bears would surely love you! :D

I do believe in boning out game killed in remote areas and just carrying meat home, though. I don't mind if the bears get the hide, bones and guts!

As for gadgets and accessories, it's been a long time since I bought anything much. I've found that I just don't need them. I kill as many deer as I want to with the same old stuff I've been using for years.

I recommend making some of your gear, if you can ... it's very satisfying.
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you're married I'd suggest spending a portion of it on the spouse. :wink:
A little gift now and then is good insurance that you will be graciously allowed to use the hunting equipment when you want to. :lol:
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The one gadget that I got a couple of years ago that I don't think that I could do without is my range finder. It gives me the confidence I need to make accurate shots :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

If you do not have one already I would suggest a hand held GPS, one of my most used hunting and scouting tools, also great for fishisng etc etc.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
bbbwb

What to Buy???

Post by bbbwb »

[quote]Grizzly Adam Wrote:
"---- and the bears would surely love you"

There are bear in the area but I don't know what the population numbers may be. I leave something that is of strong human scent at the site and so far have not had any problem. Maybe I have just been lucky.
I concurr with Grizzly Adam as well, that the gadget gear I have has been with me for many years. The block and tackle that I mention was bought 20 +/-years ago.
I may have misunderstood you ForkHorn, but I assumed that you were just new at this deer hunting and were interested in what to spend your $500 on.
You will have fun for sure and good luck.
bbbwb
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

range finder, good pair of optics, good boots, etc etc... it all depends on what you want. I personally dont like climbers since I hate sitting them up. They are nice for scouting new land before I actually hang a stand, but even with the summit viper I hate taking it down and putting it back again. I like stealth so I want my stand ready to use so I just have to climb in:)

i'd just put the money aside in a box and wait untill the next season, then you will be happy to have 500 when you need it to spend;)

I bought 4-5 new stands(ladder and hang ons) after season though since what was normallly 100 bucks were only 30-40bucks each :D
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

Thanks for the ideas
:D
huntman

Post by huntman »

raydaughety wrote:The one gadget that I got a couple of years ago that I don't think that I could do without is my range finder. It gives me the confidence I need to make accurate shots :wink: .
I agree with Ray a rangefinder has been one of my best investments. You can pick up the bushnell lower model for $249.00
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Spending some on your wife is a good idea too! :lol: (Personally, I'd love a rangefinder and a Double-Bull Matrix blind! :wink: )
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
munch

Post by munch »

i think beer and chicken would be the best idea that way you can invite all us poor soles(who have already spent every spare dime we had on hunting gear) over for a BBQ and then you could just borrow what ever you wanted from your new found friends :lol: if you don,t have a sentlock ground blind that mite be something to look into