found one I lost in ML season while scouting!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

found one I lost in ML season while scouting!

Post by crazyfarmer »

I was moving a stand in the area where I had shot and crippled a nice buck during ML season today. I like scouting for tree's to hang and putting tree steps in them this time of the year since its not HOTT and no bugs are out. Anyway, I trailed that deer for 250 yards into some thick cover where the blood trail ran out. Me and 3-4 others spent a whole day looking for that buck with no luck since I hate losing any deer, espically a nice buck. When I was walking the edge of the thicket today about 200 yards from where I had stopped looking I could smell something dead. I started to look and about 50 yards from where I smelled it I found the buck. When I had shot the buck I knew I hit him pretty far forward and from what I could tell of the remains he had a hole in the lower part of his neck and out the opposite shoulder, nothing major was really hit but it was enough to kill the deer. I didnt have time to count the points on the buck before I shot, but I knew he was atleast a 21-22inch wide 6 or a decent 8. I actaully have this deer's shed from last season to so I know its him. Anyway, I cut the antlers off since it was all I could do to not puke LOL. He had been dead for atleast 2months and was pretty much decayed. Here is a pick of the antlers below. He was a 21.5inch spread 6pt. Definitly not one to lose. I get to put him on a board afterall. This deer had actually made a hard right turn and somewhat back towards where I had shoot him which is what through us off trying to find him. First of the year scouting and moving stands does pay off. You never know what you might stumble across. From now on, im gonna do 90% of my stand locating in Jan-Feb for the following season:)

Rich

Post by Rich »

CF,

Glad you found him, I have lost a few nice ones over 30 years of hunting and it always makes me ill when I wonder what happened to the deer.

Rich
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Great that you found him, Crazy!

I'm surprised at the stuff and stink, though.

Around here, a deer isn't anything but scattered bones, a leathery rib-cage, a dirty looking spine and a dried up hide after a week or so!

At least you could saw the rack off!
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

At least you know what happened to him.
Around here they don't last long either. Usually after a few days scattered bones are about it. Plenty of scavengers take advantage of the feast, but coyotes are becoming much more common as one of the main scavengers today. That's the big reason I'm a lot more selective in my late evening shots anymore. Often if you have to leave one overnight it's ruined by morning.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

he was bascially bones and hide. I know when I sawed the rack off he didnt have any brain material left. The stink was from left over magots :o

btw, is the pic working for everyone? Its only half loading for me
wabi

Post by wabi »

Pic is loading fine for me!
wabi
huntman

Post by huntman »

Nice 6 pinter a little small for you! lol
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

huntman wrote:Nice 6 pinter a little small for you! lol
he's not to small.. I usually have a 20inch wide rule or 18 and up decent mass rule. The land he was killed has 4-5 other hunters whom will hunt it this season also, so anything with 4 legs will get shot now. Thats why I was moving stands way out into the cutover so I wouldnt be near them hunting.

I got a few pics from my cell to the PC of the deer. Its not for the light of heart. In one you can see it was just hide and bones. Nothing fleshy was left since it had dried like a mummy :shock: I wish I could have found him that day but atleast he did get found afterall.

Deanmac

Post by Deanmac »

Good deer, glad you found him, better late than never
Take a kid hunting and you will be rewarded
rutman

Post by rutman »

Good find
Unique Rack!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles