Headshots?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eltin

Headshots?

Post by Eltin »

Would would happen if you were to shoot a deer in the head?
I tried out a few practice shots on a fallow deer skull and came up with this:

I used an equinox with 2216 aluminum arrows at 30 yards range.

The chipped part on the lower right is where i hit it with a broadhead. The bolt did fly wya off course after hitting the skull.

The second shot was with the same arrow but with a 100 grain bullet targettip. as you can see, it left a clean hole the size of the arrowshaft. The arrow would flown completely through if it wasn't for the solid brick wall behind the skul.

Now my question is: is this doable in the field? and what would it do to the deer?
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Who would want to take a head shot at a deer?? Not much room for error and a great chance to wound a animal. No one wants that.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Eltin

Post by Eltin »

yes i know, but if you got a clean shot, upclose, would a headshot be better? would the deer drop dead right there on the spot?
rutman

Post by rutman »

Not recomended!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

THIS IS WHY YOU DON"T TAKE A HEAD SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out the pics in this thread from the "BOWSITE" I like to get the boys going over there every once and awhile. Good site but a little too anti X-BOW
http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/t ... 53&forum=4 :D :D
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

A head shot is not an ethical choice .
Boo

Post by Boo »

First let me say please don't take this as a flame.
If someone were to take a shot like that no one can stop them but I hope the person can live with themselves with the results. You will only immediately destroy what the arrow tip or broadhead contacts unless the animal lucks out and the arrow damages a vital spot in the brain. There are a few pictures around of animals found much later alive with an arrow sticking into their heads. When you hit an animal in the boiler room the brain dies very quickly because of lack of oxygen to the brain. A ludicrous shot like that would be despicable and only supply one's self pride. A small reward for a high cost paid by the animal. What happens if the shot is off by a few inches and it just damages the jaw or damages an eye? Deer are a gift to us and I don't think we should be experimented on. Please don't do it and if you do I don't want to know about it.
I would appreciate it if you delete the contents of your thread.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Eltin

Post by Eltin »

I haven't done this and I'm not planning to, I was just wondering the reason behind it being a bad idea. Since there were no other posts about it on this forum i thought i'd ask.
Thank you for explanation though.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Eltin the reason why it is highly not recommended is keep in mind that a arrow kills by hemmorage and a bullet kills by shock .The head shot with a bullet effects the surrounding area in the brain and spinal column that is why it can be effective.But conversely the arrow does not have that shocking power to have this effect .Don`t want to come off like we are preaching but it is OUR responsibly to have a quick and HUMANE kill if at all possible .
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

If and when you get the chance for a really close shot , put it through the HEART that will shut down a deer very quick . there are alot of pics out there that show exactly where the heart sits in a deer it can be pined.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Eltin wrote:yes i know, but if you got a clean shot, upclose, would a headshot be better?
Absolutely not! Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

In no case is a head shot the best shot.

Stay with the classic heart/lung vital zone shots.

Trust the collective wisdom of experience.

Good hunting.
Grizz
Digger

Post by Digger »

THE LAST PLACE I would shoot for is the head for all the above reasons, plus who wants a head mount with an arrow sticking out of it.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

http://www.wyomingoutdoorsradio.com/gallery_of_odd.htm wrote:Some things you just have to see for yourself! Muzzleloader Season. You won't believe this one. I was hunting out in Sidney this past weekend for my muzzleloader buck. Well I got him. I'll make a long story short. First off, Mike kept telling me he saw a buck with an arrow through his head. I thought he was full of it, but he kept telling me he saw it again. Saturday evening we saw this buck jumping around going out of control from about 350 yards away. Mike told me it was probably the one with the arrow in its head. The buck was with another one that night. The next morning I sat up in the tree stand and waited, all of a sudden at about 10 minutes after sun up, there were two bucks that came right to the side of my stand, 30 yards. I saw the arrow instantly and didn't know what to think. Anyways, he ended up giving me a shot and I took him. Looks like the arrow was in there probably at least a couple months or more. No blood or anything and you could move the arrow. Thanks Duane!
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
tmeasel

Post by tmeasel »

Now thats a miserable way to a slow starvation death.
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Wonder if the shooters were just stuck on the antlers instead of the vitals and that's where they shot on accident?,,,,, "Buck Fever" kinda thing.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done