O/T: Saxman, few board mounts for ya

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

O/T: Saxman, few board mounts for ya

Post by crazyfarmer »

below is a few I can get into the pics.. I have 6more but they arent pictured on boards. Oneday il gonna try to get everything together with the head mounts and take one big pic. So far, 29 total deer on board and head mounts 8) The smallest is the 6pt 16inch one which was killed when I was little. The biggest pictured is a 7pt which is 23inches wide, but its a 6 and 8pt close in size.. as you can tell, I ran out of space in my house so these are just in the shed:) Big ones stay in the house. But years and years of hard work are pictured

saxman

Post by saxman »

Very Nice Crazy. I hope to achieve that one day.
Did you do the mounts yourself?
Thats how I want to do mine.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

saxman wrote:Very Nice Crazy. I hope to achieve that one day.
yes sir, I do them all myself.. Most of the ones pictured were practice ones. Its takes 5-6 to get the feel for them. But its pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The hardest parts getting the skull trimmed to fit perfect under the cap. The caps a PITA sometimes also since some antlers arent straight :lol:

I usually do about 20 per year for friends also, and those pay for the ones I mount LOL :D I also started doing them since usually it takes a taxadermist 4months to get them done. If I get it cleaned its only a 1-2week turn around time :D
saxman

Post by saxman »

crazyfarmer wrote:
saxman wrote:Very Nice Crazy. I hope to achieve that one day.
yes sir, I do them all myself.. Most of the ones pictured were practice ones. Its takes 5-6 to get the feel for them. But its pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The hardest parts getting the skull trimmed to fit perfect under the cap. The caps a PITA sometimes also since some antlers arent straight :lol:

I usually do about 20 per year for friends also, and those pay for the ones I mount LOL :D I also started doing them since usually it takes a taxadermist 4months to get them done. If I get it cleaned its only a 1-2week turn around time :D
Are there kits available?
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sure is:) I order all mine in bluk seperatly though and save 3-4 bucks... Lowes and etc has the tac's you use on the vinyl cap also for .98 cents while they sell them for 2bucks.

but if you want everything, its in the below link.. cabelas also sells the kit

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01508660/
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Very nice display C.F.

And some nice Bucks too. :wink:
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

You do a hell of a job on the board mounts CF. I have a couple of racks lying around that we plan on doing like that. We are going to order from Cabelas.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Very Nice Mounts
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thanks everyone.. its a addiction :D

I just like those mounts, espically the walnut trimline boards. Ive got about every buck Ive shot from 15 years ago in boards or something. Just something to show my kids and others when I'm to old to get out of a wheelchair oneday.

if anyone wants them done, you can UPS the antlers to me LMAO :lol: Shipping would cost more than its worth though :P
rutman

Post by rutman »

Great job and nice racks!
Congrats!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thanks for the info and link CF. Think I'll give it a try.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Country

Post by Country »

Nice display CF. I hunt Virginia also and yours look like the typical Va deer. Brow tines are often small or missing and mass is hard to come by. I don't think this is all genetics though. A friend hunts an area that Im not allowed to hunt where all the deer he takes sport massive heavy beams. What does his area have that mine doesn't? Is there something lacking in the soil such as Potassium that causes the racks to be smaller? People have purchased live record book deer for their property only to see the antler size quickly dimminish in the new location. There has to be a scientific explanation for this. I plant different kinds of deer browse so my deer are getting plenty to eat and I put out deer chow once the season ends. My herd is as healthy as it can be but something is missing. Do you have any ideas on increasing antler mass? I do put out the mineral blocks but I can't tell if it's having any impact.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

those mount look very good my son has a nice group in his garage we have collected ,if i can ever figure out how to post pictures i will take some pictures & post them. we have a few nice ones

hatchetjack
they say he is still up there.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Country wrote:Nice display CF. I hunt Virginia also and yours look like the typical Va deer. Brow tines are often small or missing and mass is hard to come by. I don't think this is all genetics though. A friend hunts an area that Im not allowed to hunt where all the deer he takes sport massive heavy beams. What does his area have that mine doesn't? Is there something lacking in the soil such as Potassium that causes the racks to be smaller? People have purchased live record book deer for their property only to see the antler size quickly dimminish in the new location. There has to be a scientific explanation for this. I plant different kinds of deer browse so my deer are getting plenty to eat and I put out deer chow once the season ends. My herd is as healthy as it can be but something is missing. Do you have any ideas on increasing antler mass? I do put out the mineral blocks but I can't tell if it's having any impact.
mainly its food source, age, and overall deer health that make the mass.. But like you said, different soils produc different bucks. Ohio and Ill have awesome soil, so big bucks seem to come from there. Also, bigger body deer have more mass. We oly have 150pound deer here so its gonna be hard to find a 200+ inch deer here. But then again, those 300 pound deer like Cdn has, wouldnt survive here since they are to big and bulky to handle the summer heat. Deer are their sizes because they have adpated to grow for that area. If the foods good, of coarse deer will over time have better racks there. In southern Va massive deer are very common due to peanuts;) But to have a massive rack, food and age come into play. Most deer here only see 3.5 years of age if that. Let one reach 5.5 and you have a gaint :D

Minerals will help, but you still have to rely on hunters to let them work.. if you feed a deer minerals for one year, it wont so much effect. Let that deer have a good 2 years of feeding and it will start to show. but since most are killed so young, they never show the gains. This is just my opinion and im no antler pro:)