Dry Fires

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JBO

Dry Fires

Post by JBO »

I've been told its just a matter of time before almost everyone one has a dry fire. It hasn't happen to me yet but I'm sure my day is coming. From the advice on this forum I try to use the same procedure over an over every time I cock and shoot to prevent it from happening.
I'm sure someone has asked this but why doesn't Excalibur have a dry fire safety on it's crossbows? Is it that complicated of a system that it would drive the cost up?
Just wondering :?:
Vortex
Custom Boo string
Lumi-Zone
Slick Tricks
NRA
rutman

Post by rutman »

Doesn't have to happen!
Treat your cocked bow with a respect level of nitro glycerine.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I knew Bill T had addressed the issue, so I did a search..........
Bill T's response to the same question:
We stay away from antidryfire devices because it is possible to cock the crossbow and latch onto the antidryfire device by mistake, thereby making the bow unfirable until it is cocked properly, plus they make manually uncocking the bow somewhere between difficult and impossible so you have to fire an arrow to uncock. On top of this they increase the price you would have to pay for the bow. If you dryfire using the dacron string that comes with the bow they are virtually bulletproof anyway, however with the FFF string it will occasionally damage a limb with the bigger bows we produce.
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

Straight from Bill T in a previous post:
Bill T wrote:We stay away from antidryfire devices because it is possible to cock the crossbow and latch onto the antidryfire device by mistake, thereby making the bow unfirable until it is cocked properly, plus they make manually uncocking the bow somewhere between difficult and impossible so you have to fire an arrow to uncock. On top of this they increase the price you would have to pay for the bow. If you dryfire using the dacron string that comes with the bow they are virtually bulletproof anyway, however with the FFF string it will occasionally damage a limb with the bigger bows we produce.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If it makes you feel better I have not had a dry fire since my first Excalibur purchased in 92, and I have shot alot for sure. I make 100% certain that a bolt is on deck before touching the trigger. My wife does the same.
Welcome to the forum!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Rich

Post by Rich »

Wabi you beat me to the punch, I had to log in about 12 times and 6 invalid sessions before it would accept my post.

Rich
Normous

Post by Normous »

Rich wrote:Wabi you beat me to the punch, I had to log in about 12 times and 6 invalid sessions before it would accept my post.

Rich
Funny when that happens :lol:
We are just too helpful here :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

9 times out of 10 it will happen when you cock your bow and set it down... then you forget you didnt load it. Ive dryfired mine once like that. If it happens, dont hide it. Just tell excal and they will fix it for ya no charge :D

Also, pay attention if you shoot with friends. Talking with others gets your attention off the bow and things can happen
Rich

Post by Rich »

Both my dry fires came from breaking my routine, I cocked and laid the bow down and picked up my range finder to range the distance. After I knew the distance I aim and shoot without loading a bolt. Now I instinctively look down at the bolt with my left eye prior to pulling the trigger, this has saved me several other dry fires.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Rich,
At least we both had the same answer! :lol:

I have had a few dry-fires over the years and all were from being distracted during the cock-load-shoot process. Another reason I like dacron strings - no damage at all (to the Excalibur) on any of the dry-fires. My ego sure got damaged, though. :lol:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I agree with Bill that bows with anti dry fire devise can be cocked partially then not go off when it's time to shoot. Happened to me several times with one of mine. Fortunately I was fun shooting at the time. The greatest factor for causing dry fires is distraction..IMHO. I've done that two with my Excal. Broke the routine and fiddled with something instead of setting safely first.
I now treat it like a loaded gun. Cock and put on safety. ALWAYS. EVERY TIME!