Crossbow King target review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Crossbow King target review

Post by Rich »

Bought the Crossbow King Target after reading several post about it. Here is my first shot at 20 yards. The target stopped the bolt dead about halfway. I was very impressed with the stopping power of the target. However, when I went to pull the bolt out I had to lay the target on it's side put my feet on the sides and just about pulled my shoulder out of the socket before it let loose of my bolts. I didn't shoot another bolt after this one, I hope the target loosens up a little with more shots.

Another note, this was my first shot since deer season, I removed the Rage 2 Blade and put a field tip on and shoot. No difference at all in POI.

Rich

DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Couldn't have asked for a better shot! That target looks nice! Is it more expensive than the BLOCK targets? I have one and its get shot up pretty bad, It will soon be time for a new one.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Big John

target

Post by Big John »

Hi Rich:

I think I see that you are shooting a field point on the target and not a broadhead? If that is correct, then you should be shooting "broadheads" at that target only. Field points at a Bag target. Then you will have no problems. If you had on a Broadhead, then nevermind my statement. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Rich

Post by Rich »

Droptine,

Sorry I was gonna post the price but forgot to. The price was $39 from the factory (plus S&H about $10). I spoke with the lady from the company and she said Gander Mt sells the Crossbow King targets under the Gander Mt name. I also did see the compound bow model at Bass Pro for $39 too, don't know how it will hold up to a crossbow though. For $39 this was the best stopping target I have used, can't say how long it will last but was impressed with the one shot (pulling the bolt out was hard though).

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

Get a Dan Miller puller for those arrows! (on the right)
Grip the shaft, give it a slight twist to "break it loose" and pull it straight back. The heat generated from the friction of the arrow tends to "glue" it to the foam most times. Dan's puller lets you grip the shaft so you can twist it to break the bond.
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have one and I have been happy with it. It seems to be holding up well after about 100 shots. You can't beat it for the price. Arrows can be hard to get out so I agree with Wabi, get an arrow puller. The target will loosen up over time and it will be easier to pull the arrows. It is a broadhead target and if you shoot a field tip into it it is a real bear to get them out.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I always flip my "block" target on its side to pull mine out also, but they come out fairly easy though and im not big guy either. Rich, im sure it will keep its shape longer than the ones that let you remove the bolts easier:) Im gonna have to get a new "block" one this year since mine swore out after 2 years
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: Get a Dan Miller puller for those arrows!
Gotta second Wabi's advice on that ... best $12.00 you'll ever spend on archery shooting. :D
Grizz
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Trick i learned from 3 D shooting . When shooting field tips , lube with dish detergent and water just enough to wet shaft . Use a washcloth soaked in dish detergent and water and keep it handy.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Rubbing bar soap on carbons seems to work, amour all or silicone lube seems to help arrow removal as well.
Rich

Post by Rich »

John,

I asked the question about shooting field tips into a broadhead target when I ordered and they said it would not make a difference, they said the opposite, not recommended shooting broadheads into a filed tip only bag. I'll lub up my bolts as mentioned and use the arrow puller I have for 3-D shooting. I just didn't expect it to be that tough on the first shoot, plus I was excited to try it out and just grabbed the bow and shoot.. Thanks all for the tips.

Rich
Rich

Post by Rich »

I stand corrected, I called again because someone else also told me the same thing about "no field tips". I spoke with Tammy and she "oh no, you'll never get the bolt out if you shoot a field tip, broadheads only".

Rich
Big John

target

Post by Big John »

Told ya!! :)
I wouldn't try to fool you. They were partly correct in saying that not to shoot broadheads at the bag target as it will cut the bag to shreds in no time.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Try rubbing a bar of soap on your bolts, then shoot them into the target. Should make removing them easier. Nice shot.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I own "The Block" as well and can vouch for it too. Mine is designed for Crossbows - field tips & broad-heads (fixed and mechanicals).
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.