Gander Mountain Closing In My Area

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I use the internet nowadays, and let "Brown" bring it to me.

We don't live within an hour of any significant resource anyway ... though there is one local firearms dealer I do some business with.

Sorry for your losses! :D
Grizz
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

The new CABALES they opend in EAST HARTFORD CT is also doing poorley , They laid off 118 people . you go in there store on any week day and there is mabey 3 people in the whole store !! very sad, but we have to rember just about every thing in there is frivilese and not needed to live , Now with fuel prices going thru the roof , and every thing else like the mortage rates and home foreclosers , it is not a good time for sporting goods stores
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
saxman

Post by saxman »

We have two brand new Gander MTN's in my area.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm lucky, have a Gander, Sportsman's Warehouse and Sheel's within 50 miles as well as a local sporting goods store that will order just about anything I ask them to. The former three are all in Fargo, which also has several other sporting goods outlets. Seems to me the market isn't big enough for all three. I'm guessing by the traffic and prices that the Sportsman's Warehouse would go first.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

We have just the opposite going on around here. Bunch of new places openning up, and Yankees with sacks full of money moving down here making things difficult. I was in our local Walmart last week and noticed all the gun cabinets, ammo, archery tackle and anything worthwhile going in there for, was gone. Asked the local boy working the department what happen? He said bunch of new people from New York, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, what have you complained to local manager they didn't like all that stuff. Local manager caved. This place has changed dramatically in the last 25 years. I wish all these people would just stay the hell up there where they belong, but it won't happen. So in the immortal words of Davey Crockett, "They can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas!"

Joe
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

pokynojoe wrote: "This place has changed dramatically in the last 25 years. I wish all these people would just stay the hell ... where they belong, but it won't happen."
Sounds like something an Indian might have said when your ancestors came into the region, Joe. :wink: :D
Grizz
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

fuzzy wrote:
Grizzly Adam wrote:
pokynojoe wrote: "This place has changed dramatically in the last 25 years. I wish all these people would just stay the hell ... where they belong, but it won't happen."
Sounds like something an Indian might have said when your ancestors came into the region, Joe. :wink: :D

tou-che'

No slight intended, of course! :D
Grizz
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Griz:
I guess what is obvious to some, is not obvious to all. My futile attempt at levity clearly missed the mark. I forget, sometimes, at just how one dimensional, and literal the internet can be. My comment was made with tongue firmly embedded in cheek.

That being said, I hear many lament the closing of a favorite emporium as if this is a new or recent trend. When I read a post such as this I'm reminded of my parents sadly lamenting the close of Woolworth five and dimes; W.T. Grants; Kresges, and many others. This is nothing new. The world is rapidly being reduced to one point, events like the one Bob speaks of will become more frequent. Sociologists call this the "McDonaldsization" of America. In my little neck of the woods there has been a tremendous retail boom, and I have access to just about anything I could wish to purchase. I suppose they are just following the money.

In closing, when I was a young man and travelling throughout the South, I would often hear the following refrain:

"Cotton going West; Cattle coming East; Yankees coming South; and the money's roll'in in!"

My State, and in particular the Eastern Grand Division, in which I reside, is very dependent on the dollars "snowbirds" and others spend whether they are visiting or just passing through. And on the whole, they are welcome.

As for my ancestors? Griz, I am descended from a family of wanderers, and I can tell you nothing past my grandparents. Geneology was not something my Father was even remotely interested in. I guess you could say I am from everywhere and nowhere.

Regards
Joe
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

pokynojoe wrote: I guess you could say I am from everywhere and nowhere.
A true American! We're all descended from immigrants. :D

Changes come to us all, I guess. I'm sure glad I live in this one stoplight county (the least populated in all NC ... around 4500 folks) ... still lots of open land, big water, vast woodlands, clear horizons and black nights here ... but I wonder what will become of it in the future.

Our situation has become rather strange, I guess. I still can and often do buy gas, get hardware, do banking, shop for groceries, have my car fixed, buy a meal or purchase building supplies from independent business owners that I know personally. Many of them are my friends ... but the only reason they're still in business is because we're so far from any urban center (two hours in any direction).

That geographical isolation has been our salvation so far ... but now a high-speed, limited access four-lane highway cuts across our county like an ugly asphalt scar ... and because it is an artery, it will pump transformation our way ... slowly, perhaps, but inevitably.

That road isn't about us; never was. It's for the tourist trade on the Banks. All we are to that region is a potential bedroom community for it's servants.

Changes have come of late; more in the last ten years than in the prior fifty ... and they'll keep coming ... and you're right: the dollar calls the tune, and people do the dance.

That's especially true when locals sell off their inherited landholdings to developers from elsewhere, who develop it for people from elsewhere ... who can see what a good thing we've really got around here, and hasten to take advantage of it. Who can blame them?

Too few natives value the land for it's own sake nowadays; for a little transitory cash they quickly sacrifice the one thing that can endure the generations ... if people value it more than money. Used to be folks did cherish their land above all else. Most don't anymore. Lots of times, no sooner does granddaddy or daddy pass away than the real estate signs go up. Or, because the handwriting on the wall is all too evident, granddaddy or daddy sell it themselves because they know it will be gone the minute their kids get the deed.

The result of this unprecedented rural land transfer from the hands of locals to the hands of developers is painfully evident.

When locals complain about the loss of culture and flavor that has so recently accelerated, I cannot help but say that it isn't outside influences that are to blame ... it's compromised local values that are responsible ... at least around here.

A hard truth ... but truth nonetheless.

There seems to be a new creed in rural America:

Dollars and dimes!
Dollars and dimes!
To be without money is the worst of all crimes!
To get lots of cash, and keep all you can
Is the first and the highest and whole duty of man.

Dimes and dollars,
dollars and dimes!
An empty pocket is the worst of crimes!
Gotta get money ... we'll sell the farm;
Put the signs up; go sound the alarm:
Let the bidding start! Who'll see me higher?
My soul's for sale; will you be the buyer?

Dollars and dimes,
Dollars and dimes ...
To be without money is the worst of all crimes.
Grizz
hawg hunter

store closersure

Post by hawg hunter »

Wally World in our area shut down its firearms section of sporting goods. We had 2 Sportsman Warehouse they shut down one. Bass pro is here and they are not doing so good. Just a sign of the times. We still have a no of local gun shops in area and have at least on or two gun shows a month within 50 miles of here.
curmudgeon

I understand, I had to get the H--- out of there too.

Post by curmudgeon »

But Gander Mtn and Bass Pro are both doing well on the main route to the Smoky Mtn's. Heck, even Dolly Parton left, but she took a couple of the mountains with her. I retired and moved about 70 miles west so I can still visit those stores. I believe the Yankees are supporting them as they sure spread those Yankee dollar's on cabins, novelties , and such, heck, they'll buy anything. So far they ain't hung around long enough to mess up the TN hunting as far as I know, no wonder everything is posted ,I'm sure we will take their Non -resident fee tho.
Have a good hunting life.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

I live 10 minutes from Bass Pro and Gander Mtn. ; 1 hour from Cabelas. I enjoy going to the stores to window shop but I miss the more knowledgeable local stores I used to deal with before I moved here. Still, it does make it nice when you decide to buy a food vacuum sealer and can walk into a store and play with six different ones to see which one you like best. Better yet is to hit the Cabela's website, read the reviews and let "brown" drop it at my doorstep. Won't do Wally World. (5 min away) They ticked me off when they stopped carrying guns and did away with lay-a-way.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog