Has anybody tried recoil pads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mercyfulfate

Has anybody tried recoil pads?

Post by mercyfulfate »

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried the recoil pads on their Excals? That picture of the Y25 has got me thinkin ;)

Something like this.. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0
Digger

Post by Digger »

One of my Henegar stocks with recoil pad.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
mercyfulfate

Post by mercyfulfate »

Very nice Digger! I love those wood stocks, I wish Mark (i think) was still making those.
What are you thoughts on the recoil pad? Do they do much? I was going to get one purely for comfort but now I'm wondering if the recoil supression could improve accuracy.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I thought about putting one on to increse the LOP.
I like the thumbhole of the Equinox but the LOP of the ExoMax.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I think the issue of a recoil pad becomes personal preference,as I believe the recoil on a crossbow is forward,and not towards the butt as in the case of a rfile or shotgun.
Bob Vandrish.
mercyfulfate

Post by mercyfulfate »

That makes sence
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

I added one to the VORTEX I sold to Norm & Patty I liked it and it did deadon some vibration

1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Its a Killer :)
Thanks Craig!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mercyfulfate

Post by mercyfulfate »

Nice! Is that one of the "grind to fit" recoil pads or is there one that fits directly onto it?
Esox

Post by Esox »

Adding a recoil pad will do a couple of things.

First off, it will reduce the felt vibration some (x-bows don't have recoil like a shotgun but they do vibrate), second, the rubber will grip your shoulder and lock in your stock better, third it will balance the x-bow a little better (but not much, it depends on your hand placement). X-bows in general tend to be a little nose heavy...

However, if you're just adding a pad to the butt plate it'll lengthen your stock.... That may or may not be a bad thing.....If you have long arms that may make it feel better to shoulder, but if your arms aren't that long it may make it feel very uncomfortable... And if you're hunting with heavy clothing on it may get in the way of shouldering the bow...If you don't need the extra "length of pull" and you still want the recoil pad on then you'll have to cut the stock and that may be a problem....

I like them but my arms aren't that long, so I had to take off the recoil pad the Mark put on the wooden stock on my Exomax and make a thinner wooden version...

Recoil pads are nice, but not needed.. but if you find one that wasn't so bulky and add too much to the length of pull then you might try to add one for yourself....

Nothing wrong with a little customizing.....
Esox

Post by Esox »

Here's a pic of Mark's stock that I worked on to shorthen the butt plate and raise the cheek piece for my Exomax. It fits me more comfortably, but I still would like a rubber pad to help it grip better....

bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I thought any recoil in a crossbow was forward jump and not back against the shoulder,maybe i am wrong.
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

I had one on my old exocet, just to lengthen the stock, it worked great for that. I had no problems with heavy clothes. :!: :!:
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

i enjoy recoil pads!The stock Mark made me a few years ago, allows me to shoot comfortably no matter the weather. Has never been fun being a boney guy when it came to shooting firearms without padding.
Stash

Post by Stash »

bstout wrote:
bait pile willie wrote:I thought any recoil in a crossbow was forward jump and not back against the shoulder,maybe i am wrong.
Yes, a crossbow has forward recoil same as an air rifle.
Umm, no it doesn't. The limbs and the arrow move forward, so the bow moves back. And an air rifle doesn't have forward recoil either.

We've had at least 2 first-timers trying crossbows in the store who didn't know enough to keep their eyes well back of the scope and needed minor first aid to stop the bleeding.