Wishlist for Crossbow Design Changes-All In & All Done?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Wishlist for Crossbow Design Changes-All In & All Done?

Post by Hi5 »

OK folks.

I had tried to start a discussion about some changes or improvements that could be made to crossbow design. I'm not trying to start a gripe session about our host's product.The Excalibur product line is excellent. However, like everything else in life, there could be inprovements. What improvements or changes would you like to see? Surely the state of design has not yet attained perfection!! Maybe we can even offer some ideas that would be helpfull?

I am most bothered by the noise. I don't mean the noise of firing. My Exomax is noisy when it fires, but that noise doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother game, either. The majority of game I have shot have lay down within 50 yards. They didn't die immediately, so the reason they went down was because they were hurt badly, but not frightened despite the noise of firing.

No, the noise that bothers me is the ""clunk", "clink"or "thump" that the stock, riser or stirrup makes. If you are in your tree stand and some piece of your equipment, such as the buckle on your safety harness, your game call, (whatever), comes in contact with any of the components of your crossbow, you likely have scared off your game. If not, you have put it on high alert.

The same concern applies if you are stalking. Branches that touch the bow on those parts make unnecessary noise. Now, I admit that the limbs are noisy too when they contact something. Nothing much can be done about that, however, without sacrificing bolt speed.

What I would like Excalibur to do would be to bond the parts I have mentioned with so some sort of soft compound such as rubber. Hogue does that with gun stocks, so it's not rocket science. It could be camo-ed for those who want it.

To me, that would be an option worth paying extra to get. That's the kind of bow noise that costs game...not the noise of firing.

Does anyone have suggestions as to changes they would like to see? This doesn't have to be a gripe session, folks! Surely we can talk nice!

Edited01/02/08
Last edited by Hi5 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Inexpensive camo moleskin to certain stock locations might help. I'm just more carefull when stalking in regards to branch to stock contact.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

From one Norm to another... :D

The sound of the bow firing is something I don't care about. It's the noise of the bow when it's contacted by brush or equipment that concerns me.

In real-life hunting, in my opinion, that costs more game than shooting noise does.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Trying once more to get a discussion started!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'd like to see stocks that were adjustable for length of pull or the availability of one as an accessory.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:shock: WOW!! I thought I was the only one looking to improve perfection .(TEFLON ,FOAM, silencers ECT.) There is a lot of things that can and will hapen in crossbow design,in the very near future ! but rember every step we gain there are a lot of archers who hate crossbows , so rember lets keeep pace , not exceed archery standerds of speed and stelth, in vertical bows . I think that way because the growing popularity of our sport will not be diminished , and put back into the relm of a poaching weapon ! I am one who is always looking to make a great product better , but this is a touchy subject in the archery world (STILL) I have heard a lot of crap on other sites ever since a crossbow broke the 400 F.P.S. speed (STRYKER). so lets keep our wishes to a even line for a while , there are still a lot of places were we arnt welcome GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

An adjustable leng\th stock would be nice along with an adjustable cheeck piece

The 400 fps territory is now being hit by the High Country Iron Mace , so it it is not only crossbows increasing maximum speed.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Adjustable length of pull
Adjustable comb height.
FULL CAMO on all but the bolts (maybe a soft touch quiet camo)
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Esox

Post by Esox »

I think it would be good to have all the changes have been talked about before and customized on our own x-bows.......

However, if we're looking for production improvements for Bill T to see ... well....

Teflon and foamed rail.
String dampening system Mathias Style (w/o speed loss).
Adjustible stock (length of pull and cheek height).
Dryfire inhibitor has been discussed before (maybe there's something new that can be done).
A Dan Miller or Groundpounder style quiver mount (sorry guys the side bracket needs improving).
The Crankeroo's not exactly user friendly compare to say Ten-Points Acu-Draw 100 (my opinion).
Some like camo options (OK but not essential).
A quieter stock material like Hogue makes (prevents the sound of branches hitting the stock).
Oh Yeah, please add nut bosses where stock mounting bolts attach (I've had to re-drill and tap mine for larger cap screws because I stripped the threads on the thin metal rail material).
A pistol grip forearm option might be cool and of course...
Lighter weight....

Other than that they are...... "Perfect".....
wabi

Post by wabi »

An adjustable stock length would be nice for women & youngsters.
Most of the things like sound dampening can be done after you get the crossbow, and taken off if it doesn't suit you, but if I cut the stock to fit my wife or son it can't be undone. A short stock with an adjustable butt pad would be usable by all.
wabi
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

Some neat idea's here. I am getting even more idea's how to personalize my Exomax.
I don't see a lot of these idea's making it into production but you never know. Making changes in a production facility like Excalibur is not going to be easy . That is simply the nature of a productioin facility. I am a hobby machinist and this gives me a small insite in what it takes to change setup in a production machine. Marketing will also play a role in what happens. what may seem like a great idea to me may sound stupid to the rest of the world.

As long as we are tossing idea's around I would like to see thinner and more rounded trigger profile. a couple of wood stock options , and a deeper groove for the rope cocking aid.
sunset

improvements

Post by sunset »

I can't say enough about how good these bows work, right out of the box...everyone of them. I've added the Groundpounder quiver mount and several friends now have installed them on their bows. Although the supplied side mount is economical to make I believe Todd's option to be superior. Maybe these parties should talk?

Hi5 ~ excellent topic for the off season.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Thanks for the compliment, Sunset.

I know our hosts are smart enough to see this thread as NOT trying to knock their product.

Keeping ahead of the competition is how to succeed in business. I hope some of our suggestions are seen as ways of helping to do just that. That would be a win-win result. We would get things we want and there would be more product sold.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I made the greatest improvement to my bow, I installed a Groundpounder mount. Why these things aren't factory standard is beyond me. :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am with boo on the adjustable length of pull, would be nice to have that option. M&M