Looking for a new GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Looking for a new GPS

Post by Pydpiper »

I currently use a Rino 120, and love it for the simple fact of excellent reception in the thick of the woods, but I think it is time to come out of the black and white world and try something in color.
Is there a good place to do some research?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rich

Post by Rich »

Pydpiper,

Try this link: http://www.maps-gps-info.com/gp-rvws.html I have used the Magellean Meridian (not color version) and the Garmin MAP 60C. Both are very functional and practical GPS'.

Rich
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I have the Garmin Map 60C and it works well. The colour screen is definietly nice. One thing I don't like is the compass function does not work unless you are moving. On the newer models, I belive the 60CX, it does.

I bought mine largely on the availability of free maps... :wink: :wink: :D

Dave
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i have the garmen GPS-60csx and the compass works fine on it.
thanks philip
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I recently bought a Magellan 500LE. It is a colour model. I got a fairly good deal on it as was on sale at Crappy Tire at the time and had a few big gift cards. Bought 2 batteries and a charger on E-bay for peanuts. I've since bought the Canadian topo map for it.

I love it, however I'm still learning with it as I've never had one before. It was highly recommended by a friend.

Jay
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I went the whole Nine Yards and bought a Garmin 76CSX with compass, altitude and all.. Great unit!!! I also travel to different parts of the country so bought the City Navigator software and it is soooo cool! I can drive in totally foreign cities and it's just like I lived there all my life. Turns pop up on screen and just follow the directions it gives you and you can drive to any address. In the woods it is just as cool. Great unit - get one!!!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

try http://www.gpscentral.ca/

great to deal with and good prices...
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks for the links and experience!
I need a small one, waterproof or at least water resistant.. I only need it for hunting, I have dedicated unit for the car. Color is important for topographic stuff, so that is my only reason for wanting to switch.
I really like the Bushnell onix, it can give Google maps overlays, and real time weather, but I also hear parts of it do not work in Canada yet..
http://www.bushnell.com/gps/gps_onix400.cfm
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
sunset

colour GPS

Post by sunset »

I second GPS Central. You can compare several models from their site. As well they have links to independant reviews on most models. I'm also partial to Garmin products and have had several. The one I'm currently using is a 60CS...can't go wrong.
Boo

Post by Boo »

David, wait for a while. I got a GPS for Christmas. A Bushnell. You can download Goggle map and aerial photos over top of the base map and they are geo-referenced. BUT they do not have it for Canada yet.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
seeelk

Garmin 76 CSX

Post by seeelk »

Try this link, http://www.consumersearch.com/www/elect ... views.html I own several, but the best I have by far is the Garmin 76 CSX, it has the best atenna, it can acquire and hold the satellites in the deep dark timber.
Excalibur Equinox
Black and Blue, Boo String!
Vari-Zone Scope
GrounderPounder Mount
Crankaroo (due to injury)
Cabela's Stalker (417.6 gr. with broadhead)
Wasp Boss 100 3 blade
Vert Archer as of 1973, Crossbow Hunter as of 12/07
MasterCaster

Post by MasterCaster »

Heres the one I just bought yesterday - I'm loving it - the internal memory holds all of ontario from the topo canada maps and the rest of canada fits on the 4 gig SD card.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11019

MC
Sudbury ON

175 lb Pheonix
FFF String
Gold Tips
Varizone scope

Some fathers put sunscreen on the kids SOME - "Put Doe Urine"
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

boy ...them are a ton of money
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Fair enough!
I wonder why they can't make it work, the maps are here, the satellite images are here but I have read many similar results as yours... Did you contact them as to when it may be available?
A lot of guys are saying the XM is being provided free to Onix users until they figure out how to integrate their billing.
Boo wrote:David, wait for a while. I got a GPS for Christmas. A Bushnell. You can download Goggle map and aerial photos over top of the base map and they are geo-referenced. BUT they do not have it for Canada yet.
WMU 91
Boo string