O/T Scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Maritimer

O/T Scopes

Post by Maritimer »

I am looking to buy a scope for my shotgun and I am curious what other forum members are using. I cannot decide between a traditional style scope or a red dot scope. :? I will be using buckshot.
Last edited by Maritimer on Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Are you using it for slugs or shot?
For slugs I use a regular 4x9 rifle scope, for shot I love the red dot! My reds dot is cheap, but works great, both eyes open and it has seen hundreds of shots witout any ill effect.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Allan

Post by Allan »

Pydpiper,
what brand red dot do you have?
Esox

Post by Esox »

Look into Aimpoints... The real ones, not the knock-offs.... Especially for buckshot ranges (under 50 yds). They're paralax free, so the lighted dot is on the center of the target no matter where it is in the in the scope sight picture .... Check out their website.... Then keep an eye out on E-bay for Model 9000 or the older Model 7000....I like 'em a lot!!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mine is the Red Head from Bass Pro, both my shotgun scopes are actually. The red dot stays on the target wherever you move your head which I found terrific in some of the awkward positions I got myself into during turkey season. I think I paid all of about $60 for it, and again it has been flawless, covered in snow, pouring rain, on and off the gun...
I more recently picked up a newer Bushnell, the one that gives the option of different red dots, crosshairs, circles.. It is a nice one too, but the smaller tube diameter almost requires you to close one eye and I do not care for that.
One other thing worth noting on the Red Head, it has see through rings, so you can still use your shotgun the way you would if it had no scope.
If money isn't important to you then you may like the Holosite by Bushnell, it is a very impressive site too. I only use mine for turkey so I would get no benefit from the ability to acquire a target quickly. :D
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflesc ... eral%20Use
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
BryanOney

Scopes

Post by BryanOney »

Putting a scope on my shotgun for deer hunting has helped my accuracy a ton. I tried a red dot, but I did not feel comfortable with it. I prefer a scope with crosshairs. There is a bushnell/banner shotgun/muzzleloader scope that is only sold by Bass Pro online that I really like. It has a 6 inch eye relief so the scope does not cut you. It has a FOV that is 32 to 75 I think which lets me see the whole deer in the scope when it is only 10 foot from me. It costs around 100 dollars, but I think it is worth the price. I used to use regular scopes on my shotguns, but there were times when deer were close and all I could see was brown hair because they had a low FOV. Hope this helps.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pydpiper, nothing can match the combination of speed and precision of the Bushnell Holosight. It has a one minute of angle dot in a clear heads up display that is parallax free.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Boo wrote:Pydpiper, nothing can match the combination of speed and precision of the Bushnell Holosight. It has a one minute of angle dot in a clear heads up display that is parallax free.
I have read lots about it, your right.
My red dot is also parallax free, what I was saying is that I have no need for fast target acquisition, no such thing when your turkey hunting, thats all I use mine for. :D
With the Holosite you are getting a precision sighting instrument, I could see the benefit of that on a single projectile but for a scatter gun it may be overkill for the average wallet. I just noticed it comes in camo too..Great. :shock:
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Burris makes a new that redot ooks interesting: The Super Bead. Fits between the stock and receiver on two piece shotguns like Baretta, Benelli and Remington. Mounts closer to the eye, less issues with parralex, "lost dot".
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

help me understand this...what good would a scope do for you if you are using buckshot as you dont have any control over where your buckshot goes after the shot? a scope is used for pinpoint accuracy, something you dont have with buckshot.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Jay, some do not have the experience to shoot a moving target like a flying bird or a running deer instinctively. Scopes are a benefit to those who do not shoot hundred of shells a year a birds and then use buck shot on running deer. Charging dangerous game are sometimes shot with low powered scopes like 1.5 power because it does work. It helps to center the shot pattern on the intended target just like shooting turkey.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

ok I guess it works but for me I want a full sight picture when shooting buckshot.
jay
Boo

Post by Boo »

Given the right scope, red dot or Holo it works really well and you use it with both eyes open. Some of your boys fighting overseas use the same type of system for fast target aquisition over longer distances that instinctive shooting doesn't allow. You can easily engage a target at longer ranges with deadly precision with low powered devices like a red dot scope, Holo or low powered scope.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

My opinion is red dot for moving deer in close or magnified scope for lower light conditions. I took a couple deer with the red dot (using a slug though) but with my poor eye signt I needed and swithced to a magnified scope for better dusk and dawn shooting.

F