Call a Trapper
3%
You Would Have to Think About It
9%

Total votes: 34

Rage_A_Holic

Question of ethics.

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

This situation has long since passed, and we dealt with it as ethically as we could. But now that I look back on the situation, I feel MAYBE I'd deal with it differently. Just curious to see where other members sit.

We used to live in the centre of Brampton. For those who don't know where that is, it's a city about 30mins from Toronto, with just under 400,000 people. We were getting ready to move to our current house, and began cleaning out the garage. Our garage had a VERY high roof, so my Father and I built a platform larger than 3/4 the size of the garage to add a second level. we used the upper platform for seasonal storage, and the lower floor for the cars. Let me tell you.... There was A LOT of crap up there. Bicycles from my childhood, scrap wood, camping supplies, backyard furniture, old BBQs, you name it.

Since we were moving into a considerably smaller house, we couldn't afford to take unnecessary things to the new house. We began taking truck loads to the Salvation Army, or the dump, months before the planned move.

Within the first few days, we found that there was a raccoon living up there. He tore A LOT of stuff up, including our tent. He also punctured our inflatable air mattress. When we realized he was up there, we called an animal trapping service, which came to clean up the feces, fix some superficial damage, and trap/remove the raccoon. After $461 their sardine baited traps couldn't catch the raccoon before the move.

We ended up moving with the raccoon still up there. I suppose it's the new owners problem now. That was over 2 years ago now, and we haven't heard anything about it yet.

So here's the question. Now that I own a crossbow, I think I would at least considering shooting it myself. I saw the big guy SEVERAL times, and had LOTS of shot opportunities, but at the time didn't own a weapon.

Cons for killing it myself-
- I understand it's not legal to discharge a weapon within city limits
- I only ever saw him at night, and night hunting is obviously illegal... Especially within a city!
- If a neighbor found out, they may hold a personal grudge, and/or call the authorities.

Pros for killing it myself-
- I could be pretty certain to rid the garage of the pest, whereas the trapping method failed.
- It would have been free, rather than +$100
- Often times when trappers release the raccoons, they do so in the same vicinity. Often times the raccoon ends up coming back. If I shot it, it wouldn't be coming back.

Potential justification of illegal actions-
- I would use the plastic bludgeoner tips, to ensure if i missed the raccoon, the bolt wouldn't shoot though the plywood garage, potentially endangering the neighbors.
- It would be in a closed garage, no one would ever see it.

I think if I was in the situation again.... I'd have to think really long and hard about it. I don't like breaking laws, so I'd probably end up calling the trapping company again. curious to see others input.

Free, reliable, unethical, illegal way.............. or expensive, unreliable, legal, and ethical way.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I wouldn't have to think about it, and the other two alternatives I would decline also.

From my armchair, with the benefit of hindsight, here's what I would do.

Seal that building up tight. I mean tight. TIGHT!!!

Then I'd park my car in the garage and leave it running overnight. Next day, I'd open the doors & windows, and after it has aired out, with a large garbage bag haul away the late raccoon.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I would whack the disease carrying, over grown rat myself assuming it was in an attached garage. I doubt it's a legal issue in that circumstance.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
huntman

Post by huntman »

He would of been wacked a long time ago and the neighbours would be made award of it. When its under my roof it becomes my problem and ill deal with it whatever way I decide. The only question i would ask myself would be the vortex or the exomag? lol
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I have to say that I would have practice the 3 "S" rule. Shoot, shovel,& shut up. My fear would be if the new homeowner had kids and they came in contact with the rodent. Again, "THUMP"......."WHACK" :D
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Re: Question of ethics.

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Rage_A_Holic wrote: I understand it's not legal to discharge a weapon within city limits.
Who needs to discharge a weapon to kill a 'coon?

Is it illegal to swing a ball bat in Brampton?

Believe me ... there was no need to do any shooting.

And do I think it's all right to kill a destructive 'coon in your own garage? Let me answer in three ways.

YES!

YES!

And:

YES!
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

huntman wrote:The only question i would ask myself would be the vortex or the exomag? lol
[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... 201041.gif[/img][/img]
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

We have had problems like that over the years. Squirrels can be just as bad as coons only they are a little smaller. I don't think twice of shooting either. I do not live in a large city but in a built up area of eight houses on the outskirts of a small town. Laws are the same but not as strict as the city. You could borrow a 'have a heart trap' and then do the little buggers in latter. I would not turn them loose. These animals carry many diseases,and will attack pets and people if cornered.As Ray says the 3 s's are the best bet. :roll:
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd trap it myself. I own a couple different size live traps for similar situations. A good (species specific) bait for raccoons is marshmallows. :wink:
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

Its probably better to practice year round with your Max. even on coons.
Safely of course.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Take the CRITTER Down :!: :!: :wink:
Esox

Post by Esox »

I had a raccoon as a pet when I was a kid... They're very smart, cute and cuddly, and very easily trained. They make the coolest pets...

......but in your case shoot the rabies carrying vermin.....

..... just don't wake the neighbors or make a big mess....
Boo

Post by Boo »

Looks like the major consensuses is a dirt-nap!
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Oh boy I had some laughs reading these!

Thanks a ton guys, looks like there is a pretty standard consensus.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If it were my house in the city I would put a sub-sonic .22 in the chamber and let him(her) have it, not likely to exit but big enough to do the job..
My business is taking animals like that out of places like that, so I would more than likely take a different approach to fixing the problem than messing up an attic with blood (I have had my moments though).. Anyone can catch, kill, wound, deter an animal in an attic, it certainly isn't difficult. The thing that a lot of people overlook is what happens next. An animal in an attic is more than likely a female (initially), her job is to create the home and maintain it, she does this by putting her scent everywhere, she marks the wood, the attic goodies the insulation.. This pheromone is in place to attract the boys when she needs them, getting rid of the animal does not get rid of that smell.. It is there so the males know where to look for her when the moment of truth comes. It also lets other females know that the place is now inhabited.
When spring comes around sometimes you get lucky and no males are in the zone of the scent, but more often than not the boys will get into that attic to find her, thats when you start hearing stories about torn down soffat, ripped shingles, torn roof vents..
From a legal standpoint, here in Ontario with each and every sale of a home there are papers to be signed, just like everywhere else in the world, but these papers specifically ask "are you aware of any rodent or pest related problems" and the seller has to initial that box, every time. What ends up happening is the purchaser realizes the health issues with rodents/animals and skips the removal process and goes right for the hazardous wast clean up, and the seller can and usually is responsible for the costs that follow. Raccoon feces is highly toxic, especially when disturbed by a guy/gal climbing through the attic, whether it be an electrician, inspector, or the guy with the gun/bow, when raccoon feces goes airborne by being kicked up it can cause serious respiratory issues in the unsuspecting. Infants, seniors or anyone else with previous respiratory problems will find them highly accelerated by the presence of raccoon feces. The actual names are Roundworm or Baylisascaris Infection.

Raccoons need heat in order to create a bowl movement, that is why coon feces is often found on roofs, attics, rocks, tree stumps, or anything else that is capable of retaining heat after the sun goes down. That is why it was where you found it.

So, my advice is not to try to block the hole once you kill it with anything very strong, you will not be able to stop a coon from getting in, you can only reduce the temptation. I have seen houses where coons have gone through 3 layers of shingles, then plywood to get in, looks like a bowling ball dropped from an airplane, takes about 5 minutes for them. 8 years ago I seen a guy block a hole with steel to keep out a female, she got 13 bricks out of the house to get in to her kits.
Wear a face mask in an attic known to have had a coon, bats or mice.. Their feces is disgusting, but contact can kill you.

Although my business is humane solutions I never have to deal with my own home.. I still vote for a subsonic and a shovel if you can do it legally and safely. I did this to two homes since this (the humane version) since this thread got started.

*EDIT* I am not a trapper, I do wildlife control, two very different businesses in the eyes of those who oversee animals. A trapper is excellent at what he does, but the left over stuff that has to be dealt with should be left to a company who deals with residential issues. All my trapping is done in live traps, the laws are very different than the ones that restrain a trapper. Open your phone book, there is a company like mine in every city, trapping animals and removing residential issues are two very different jobs.
Oh, and my vote is to call a pro.. But I am biased. :D
Last edited by Pydpiper on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string