new crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spatsizi

new crossbow

Post by spatsizi »

Just sold my PSE thunderbolt and picked up a Excalibur Vortex. I can't wait to go after a Bull Elk this September. Here is a question from the newbie. Are the carbon arrows and string that is sent in the accessory package ample for big game or should I upgrade anything?
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

i really think that is ample but you can get a real nice string that does ware out as fast from boo on here myself and many others use his strings
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The bolts, string, broadheads, and bow will all be capable of doing the job. They do require testing, however, and you will need practice in order to get the most out of the equipment. You need a target butt designed for use with broadheads, and test each bolt and broadhead. Sometimes you get a wanky bolt that won't shoot worth a darn. Same for broadheads.

Start by doing a bolt test. Take a felt marker and mark a number or letter on each bolt. Use a good rest so you are steady and shoot a bolt at the target. Then extract your bolt, and mark where that bolt hit the target. Switch that same broadhead to another bolt and shoot it at the target. Mark where that one hit the target. Do that till you have tested each bolt, using that same broadhead. Set aside bolts that don't shoot into a decent group, after reshooting them--maybe you pulled on your shot. If they won't shoot into a group, put them aside for remedial work later.

Now take your good bolts and put new broadheads on each one and test fire them. Don't shoot more than a single arrow at the same spot on the target face or you may well end up with a Robin Hood and that could mean two ruined bolts and broadheads. That's an expensive lesson if it happens. When you have done this test you know which of your bolts are accurate with those broadheads.

You will have to sharpen each broadhead before you hunt with it, but they should only need a little touch up--except for the one you used for the majority of your testing. That one may need more work, or, replace the blades.

I imagine that Excalibur still provides a video or DVD explaining how to load the bow. Pay carefull attention. The learning curve with a Xbow is an easy one, but you must be consistent in the way you perform the various steps. You also must pay attention to the safety issues they explain.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Practice, Practice ,Practice :!: :!: This gives you the confidence you need to make the shot when it arises :) {You need to know your equipment and it's limitations as well as yours} Good luck on your hunt :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

The package items will work just fine, I myself upgraded to the following:

Custom made GT II's, 2" blazers, brass inserts (the heavier bolts flew much better)

Custom Boo string

Follow Hi5's advice of sorting out your bad bolts.

Rich
Sopchoppy

new crossbow

Post by Sopchoppy »

You'll love the Vortex. It's my first bow of any kind and it's everything it's cracked up to be. The only change I made after reading a lot on this forum was to get a string from Boo. Just tell him what you want it to do (less noise and or more speed) and he'll make the string you need. The best advise on this forum is to KEEP YOUR FINGERS BELOW THE RAIL!!! The speed of that string can take off the tip of your finger. The Vortex is wickedly accurate and deadly. Shoot often and safely.