Turning deer scraps into hamburg/sausage?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Turning deer scraps into hamburg/sausage?

Post by Pydpiper »

Wife was just mentioning tacos for dinner and it got me thinking about all the meat I have in the freezer still, All the scrap meat I have is good meat, good end cuts with no fat. probably about 25 pounds that I was going to bring in to get processed into pepperettes.
Being my first deer and doing all the processing myself so far I think I would like to keep it that way and do something with it. I have a couple questions. Anyone have any good techniques for turning some of this into hamburg?
Does it have to be "cured" too? I recall reading a thread on here about curing the meat and my lack of experience made it hard to understand.
Any other ideas of what I can do with this meat without going to a butcher?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rich

Post by Rich »

Pydpyper,

I make hamburger (burgers) with this recipe:

1 lb ground venison
1 lb ground pork
1 packet Liptons onion soup (dry)
2 cups bread crumbs

This will make a mean burger.

I also use the burger for chili, I do not use any cure. I also don't freeze mine with any pork/beef fat, I'll add it when I prepare the meat for cooking.

Rich
catcher

Post by catcher »

You have to remove the bones. Then grind it. Do not worry about trimming the meat of fat and silver skin because you need that for moisture and flavor when you make pattys. You can thaw it as well but keep it cool do not let it get warm. Try not to let it get completely thawed when you are grinding it. But you will need a grinder. But no you do not have to cure it to grind it.
Last edited by catcher on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper,

It makes a difference what you want to do with your ground venison.

If you want to make a general purpose burger for use in frying and dishes, you can simply combine your ground deer with an appropriate amount of fat. One of the easiest ways is simply to combine two pounds of deer meat to one pound of fatty ground pork (unseasoned). You may also combine two pounds of deer meat with one pound of fatty (cheap) hamburger. Or, you may use straight beef tallow or straight pork fat (your butcher may cooperate).

One delicious method is to combine three pounds of deer meat with one pound of ground bacon ... fries very nicely, and has a "baconburger" taste.

Feel free to experiment. That's the beauty of it ... there are no hard and fast rules, and there is no one "right" way. It's all a matter of taste and preference and use.

Good luck! :D
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Hey Rich, I'll take one burger with mayo, onions........ :lol: :lol: . That's what we do here also, the onion mix make a great burger. Might have to fire up the grill tonight :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

I don't like to mix any other meat with deer meat. Defeats the healthy low-fat advantages of the deer meat.
The problem with ground deer meat is that it doesn't have enough fat to bind the pieces together when cooking it as patties (burgers). I've found that mixing in 1/4 cup of crushed saltine crackers to a pound of ground venison helps hold it together. Haven't experimented much with this method, but so far it has helped greatly. I mix the ground meat, crushed saltines, and spices then press the patties forcefully with a hamburger press.
For chili, tacos, and recipes that use ground meat I just use it as-is.
wabi
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

we get one processed into hamburger every year and one into saug.
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
Rich

Post by Rich »

Another option is to make summer sausage. I use the kits that will make 10 lbs. If you do not have a sausage stuffer, it can still be done by hand. I use the summer sausage kit from Con Yeager Spice Company http://www.conyeagerspice.com/conyeager ... store.html .
Last edited by Rich on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camper

Post by Camper »

I'm Hungry!!
Last edited by Camper on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Pydpiper,

If you are going to mix anything with the venison I always used 2 or 3 parts venison to 1 part of ground pork (just enough to give it some moisture for cooking).

I have seen some hand grinders at Princess Auto as well for around $30 if you are looking for a grinder (also some decent prices on sausage stuffers :wink: )

Let me know what time supper is :D

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys!
When we speak of pork do I buy chops from the grocery store, is there a certain cut to look for?
I am going to Princess auto right now to get a grinder and see what else is available.. I just may get this done for tonight..
This thread has made me hungry. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Just get inexpensive ground pork.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bbbwb

Deer scraps --hamburger etc.

Post by bbbwb »

Before I purchased a grinder I would contact a local abattoir and ask if they would grind the "fresh" venison not previously frozen. I generally had to take it to them on a Saturday at closing time as they would grind it last before cleanup for week. I do not add anything to the ground venison. They would package it for me as well. If I understand you correctly, your meat is presently frozen --- 25 pounds. To thaw and grind, I am of the understanding that you must then process ( cook) before freezing again. Of course if your frozen meat is in small packages then you can thaw and grind and use immediately. For the larger thawed and ground lots, I have had this made into sausages or pepperettes and then refreeze.
I have since bought a grinder at Home Hardware which works very well. Have had it for 4 years.
I use ground venison as I would ground beef --- meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, and any dishes that require ground meat.

Good luck
bbbwb
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I grind our venison using the attachment on a spam mixer. Works great - done in no time. We freeze it without mixing any other meat to it. (Some butchers will mix pork into it for you right when they do it.)

When the time comes to use it, I usually add medium ground beef - (more fat than lean beef). I prefer using beef, but I've also used pork (purchased from the store already ground).

Grizz's comment about using ground bacon sounds awesome! I don't buy bacon often because it doens't get used up at our house - we'll use a bit and then the rest sits in the freezer for months. Grinding it and mixing it with venision sounds delish! Guess what's going on the BBQ tomorrow? :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

we ground to types for customers on our farm

one is Deer sausage which is simply deer meat mized with pork fat and sausage seasoning

For deer burger we grind beef fat into the deer meat

the amout of fat just depends on the amount of meat used. You want about a 25% mix of fat atleast, but no more than 35%. Enough fat to add favor and grease when you fry or cook

I personally perferr deer sausage over pork sausage also, since its a better taste in my opinion :D