Turning deer scraps into hamburg/sausage?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Princess Auto had everything I needed, on sale. :D
Got a #32 meat grinder, 8 pound sausage stuffer and a jerky gun..
I am still a long ways into making any kind of food though, I need to figure out where the skin of the sausage comes from and which way I would like to try first..
Thanks!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
catcher

Post by catcher »

Hey pydpiper what you are after is called sausage casing and you should be able to buy some from your local butcher. If he makes his own store made sausage there. It should not be a big deal for him to sell you some.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You can also make sausage patties (like breakfast patties) - no casing required.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Big John

scrapes

Post by Big John »

I also make a lot of Burger form Venison as well Bear and Goose. I to like to use ground pork. I use about 20% ground pork to whatever Game I'm grinding. When I grind, I make packages about 2 lb. each for freezing. I only add spices or bread crumbs or other to it as I un-thaw a pack for use right then, since it is always used for different things, otherwise the flavour of some spicing might not match the purpose I want it for. The only difference I see in your question is Your's is frozen, and I do my grinding fresh when butchering, then freeze. If I cant find any ground pork burger I'll use a pork shoulder (fatty) roast.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

My Favorite
ITALIAN DEER OR PORK SAUSAGE

YOU CAN USE ALL PORK OR MIX PORK AND DEER ½ AND ½

FOR 1 LB OF SAUSAGE

1 TSP FENNEL
1 TSP PARM. CHEESE
¼ TSP EACH> SUGAR, BASIL, OREGANO, SALT, BLK. PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER,
½ TSP CRUSHED RED PEPPER

FOR 10 LB. OF SAUSAGE

10 TSP. FENNEL
10 TSP. PARM. CHEESE
3 TSP. EACH
SUGAR
BASIL
OREGANO
SALT
BLK. PEPPER
GARLIC POWDER
5 TSP. CRUSHED RED PEPPER FOR HOT I USE 8 TSP.

PUT ALL SPICES IN A BLENDER WITH A LITTLE WATER, LIQUIFY, MIX WELL. MAKE PATTIES OR MEATBALLS, FRY UNTIL JUST BROWNED, COOK IN YOUR SAUCE.

FOR THE SAUCE, 1 QT JAR ANY BRAND SPAGETTI SAUCE , ADD 2 TSP SUGAR, 1 TSP OREAGNO, 1 TSP BAZIL, 2 TBLSP OLIVE OIL, 1 TSP GARLIC POWDER
FRY 2 LARGE PEPPERS, 1 MED ONION, ADD TO SAUCE FOR LAST 15 MIN OF COOKING TIME.

Enjoy, Stosh
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Looks like I have a few great recipies to go through, thanks a bunch! I am really liking the thoughts of that bacon in there.. :D
Looks like around 30% is the average for pork filler, and no curing nessasary?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am going to practice on some beef, do the same +/- 30% pork apply to that as well?
I just want to try to make some meat sticks for snacking..
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

No fat need be added to any meat intended for jerky / snack sticks ... if you use beef, you'll get some grease on the outside of your sticks as they dehydrate, and you should wipe that off.

Lean and mean is the name of the game for that sort of stuff, though some fat content is acceptable in summer sausages and salami and the like.

No curing is necessary for ground meats and sausages that you'll be cooking alone or in recipes. Cure is used for snack sticks, jerky and sausages that will be smoked.

It is recommended (because of the possibility of parasites) that wild game meat be frozen for 60 days prior to using it for jerky, snack sticks, and sausages that will be smoked.
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I may have overlooked something Grizz.. Once the meat is made into snack style forms I need to smoke it? I need a smoker now? I always thought that was a whole different form of cooking..
I had best head to the library or something before I end up poisoning myself. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

No, you don't need a smoker. :D

Though that's the best excuse I can think of for getting one, and I'm sure your wife would accept it: "But honey! Grizz said I've got to have one!" :wink:

Smokers are different from dehydrators, although you can dehydrate something by smoking it (confused yet?) ... you just can't smoke something by dehydrating it! In fact, most spice mixtures for snack sticks and jerky use liquid smoke to get "that taste" ... but smoking is never necessary. You can even make summer sausage and salami and such using only your home oven.

I think smoking is the best way to make sausages meant to be eaten cold, like summer sausage, salami, bologna, and the like ... but you dont have to have a smoker.

That said, they sure are nice ... smoked chicken ... smoked turkey ... smoked brisket ... smoked moose (well, it is difficult to get a whole moose in there :wink:) ... smoked duck. You get the picture! :D
Grizz