It's Been A Good Day In Dixie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

It's Been A Good Day In Dixie

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Didn't have much to do today ... all my prep work was done yesterday, so I sort of "took the day off."

Went for a long walk this morning ... 60 degrees, t-shirt weather ... saw the record of many critter's in the dirt of our road, but I didn't see a car!

Piddled around until 10:30, when I left to meet my daddy-in-law and a friend so we could take Mr. Willard Cooper, a 92 year-old man from our congregation, out to eat.

We went to the Cypress Grill in Jamesville, NC ... the last remaining "Herring Shack" in the South ... basically a glorified shed by the Roanoke River that opens from mid-January through April every year during the herring run. It's a bit of nostalgia, and one of the very few places in the US where you can get a plate of fresh-fried river herring. We all had the usual ... herrings, boiled potatoes, cole slaw, hush puppies ... all washed down with sweet tea, and topped off with a slice of coconut pie. Shewww-dog, now! You talk about good. Mmmm, boy. :)

Came home mid-afternoon, checked the forum and replied to a few posts, then went and watched the end of an African Safari DVD my honey got me for Christmas ... I want to go to Africa some kind of bad ... some day maybe I will.

Got to thinking about that, and about it being a good thing to be free to shoot when I want ... so I got out my Ruger 77/22 and went through a box of Federal solids shooting at a new chicken spinner target my brother got me for Christmas. I love that 77/22 ... it's so much like my M77 .30-'06 ... wonderful for practice. Of course, I wasn't seeing a metal chicken ... I was shooting charging cape buffalo and hippos ... and the odd lion and leopard for variety.

Sat outside watching the Carolina Blue sky go red as the sun sank low over the Hollow Ground Swamp ... listening to Tundra Swans and Great Horned Owls serenade the end of the day.

And now here I am telling my cyber-friends about it.

Yep ... it's been a good day in Dixie. :D

But then, they all are, when you think of it.

Bet they are where ya'll live too. 8)
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Well said Grizz, well said. It's supposed to be near 70 degrees tomorrow, so Tyler backed the old Dodge up to the boat and got everything hooked up for a journey up the Trent River to wet a line in the morning. We'll probably pick up a couple dozen minnows on the way and see if we can find some crappie. Then again, anything that'll bend the pole will be fine :wink: .

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
saxman

Post by saxman »

Grizz Wrote

herrings, boiled potatoes, cole slaw, hush puppies ... all washed down with sweet tea, and topped off with a slice of coconut pie.

Does it get any better?I think not.
Glad you had a good day grizz,cherish it my brother.God is good.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Made the mistake of eating in a resturant on a pier in Florida a few years back. Special that day was fresh shrimp - one of those all you can eat for a set price deals. Thought I was a big eater, but I couldn't eat all the shrimp in that place! :lol:
I like that kind of place to eat. Nothing fancy, just real food at a reasonable price!
wabi
the elf

Post by the elf »

Hey Griz-----you are so right---------HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

hey i have heard of that herring shack up in jamesville, i think i have even seen it from the river, but have never been there to eat those herring yet. when i was a kid we would sometimes eat herring on the creek bank right after the grown ups caught them in a net out in the creek. it was a great time!
thanks philip
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

nothing like a good southern day 8)
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Wish i could sell my house in Florida :( then i could join the ranks of the RETIRED to do just what you are doing :D :D {anything you want to do :D Not what you HAVE to do}
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Grizzly that sounds like a great day . Makes me want to head south for vacation after reading your post .

Tuesday / Wednesday this week we started out with snow , then a major rain , then later Wednesday Freezing rain for the ride home from work. A little more than an hour after arriving home in the freezing rain I walked out to 4 plus inches of snow .
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Wow, sounds great Grizzly Peter. :lol:
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

grizz,
while deer hunting this morning in the back of my property I heard countless bobwhites calling a mate and would you believe the gobblers are already gobbling down here!!!!! life is good
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Sound like a good time. Tell you what, grab your snow camo and head north to us and you can come goose hunting with us in a few days. Just another way to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. If you want to see what it is like check out R.J.s pictures from around Feb 23 2007.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Apple_Orchard wrote:Wow, sounds great Grizzly Peter. :lol:
What's up with the "Peter", Apple? :?:

My name really is Adam. :D
Grizz