Should I or Shouldnt I????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dick195252

Should I or Shouldnt I????????

Post by dick195252 »

Image My wife wants me to cut a ATV trail down the middle of the 10 Acres :o i want to keep it thick and wild for the BIG BUCK What do you all think :? :? ? This picture is from my tree stand. I will be moveing my stand this year now that i have an idea how the Deer travel the area :D :D
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

i really don't think a atv trail will hurt as long no ones riding it when you hunt may even help
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Deer do tend to like to take the easy route just like people, may be a dual purpose trail for you.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Won't hurt a thing.

Make it like a snake, and you probably won't have to do much cutting.

Deer feel more at ease on a trail with bends and crooks in it than they do on a long straigt trail.
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

A trail may be a benefit as long as the ATV use is limited near/during season. We keep several trails open with a "bushog" where I hunt, and the bucks often have scrape lines right in the trail.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

In the woods I hunt the deer generally prefer the trails... unfortunately this past year they were used more heavily by people with ATVs and dirt bikes. Hopefully things quiet down a bit next season!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
diesel

Post by diesel »

I agree with the above, enough said.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I think a ATV trail might be useful to you and the deer , you could curve parts of it and also make some short straight spots and use these as nice shooting lanes , the deer will use the trail , walk it all out and flag it and make it so you dont have to do any tree cutting or very little trimming.
VTX4

Post by VTX4 »

I cut ATV trails so they lead to my tree stand. Deer often walk the trails right to me. However, I do not ride the trails during deer season except to pick up my dead deer.
Excalibur Vortex
Custom Boo String
Excal LumiZone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Bolts
NAP Spitfire 125
Lumenocks
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Cut the trail....then plant it in clover. I'd likely keep it to one side tho. to leave a bedroom if possible My 10 acres just don't seem big enough to hold a buck with much disturbance going on.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Design the trail to take advantage of prevailing winds and for stand sites and then you both win.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I'm in the process of trying to modify a tree climber so that I can pull the bottom part up with my arm strength and not my legs. (Any suggestions welcome) anyhow, we made a 4 wheeler path along a mile long beautiful ridge that's full of white oaks, red oaks and others. The bucks cruise up and down this ridge and it usually has a scrape line down it every year. Yes, this is the place that the guy sabotaged my ground blind and sent me to the hospital. I've just not had any luck with ground blinds around here and the ladder stands are not comfortable to me. You can get to the ridge from 4 different directions as not to get winded. Anyone got an idea on modifying the climber? :wink: .

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

raydaughety wrote:I'm in the process of trying to modify a tree climber so that I can pull the bottom part up with my arm strength and not my legs. (Any suggestions welcome) anyhow, we made a 4 wheeler path along a mile long beautiful ridge that's full of white oaks, red oaks and others. The bucks cruise up and down this ridge and it usually has a scrape line down it every year. Yes, this is the place that the guy sabotaged my ground blind and sent me to the hospital. I've just not had any luck with ground blinds around here and the ladder stands are not comfortable to me. You can get to the ridge from 4 different directions as not to get winded. Anyone got an idea on modifying the climber? :wink: .

God Bless,
Eye bolts??? Drill through the frame, attach eye bolts, to both top and bottom portions of the climber. Feed rope from top to bottom, pull on rope to bring bottom up????

Not sure how easy it would be to get the placement of the eye bolts just right. Could be done though.

If you have a big enough knot in the rope, the top and bottom shouldn't become seperated by any more than the length of the rope.

Just ideas off the top of my head.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Yea, something like that with some T handles like those use for a lawnmower pull start or our rope cocker? I'm going to start another thread in this. Thanks for the ideas.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray