Modified Climber

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Modified Climber

Post by raydaughety »

I'm trying to come up with a way to modify a tree climber so that I can pull the bottom part up with my arms and upper body strength rather than using my legs( they don't work well enough.) I would like some opinions from some of you tinkering types PLEASE. I have a buckshot climber that has the aluminum bars that go all the way around the tree. The good thing about this stand is I TRUST this climber and have had it for years. I just have been unable to use it due to poor lower body strength and loss of feeling in my legs and feet What I don't like about it, it takes a while to set up and it's not that comfortable. To the average guy it may be fine, but I loose the feeling in my lower back, buttocks and legs if I'm not sitting on something really comfy with back support. I sat in a Summit Goliath with the surround seat at ground level and that thing is the cat's meow as far as comfort but I don't know if I would trust the cable. I'm a big boy and not afraid to admit that I'm not that fond of heights but as long as I trust my equipment I'm ok. What do you guys think. The ultimate to me would be to find a way to put bars on the Summit or a sling type seat on the buckshot. Either way, I have to figure out a way to pull the bottom section up with my arms. Am I making any since at all :? If anyone has an ideas please post them. If you've never seen a buckshot climber here is what they look like.
www.equalizertreestands.com/ Then click on Magnum Treestand.

Thanks and God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
the elf

raising with arms

Post by the elf »

Ray--I presume you hook your feet into something and lift the lower section--if so run some strong rope from one foot strap area up and across the top section and back down to the other foot strap on other side. it would look like a staple upside down and be adjusted to suit your dimensions.You could grab the rope with both hands and lift the whole lower assembly till it suits you----and the 2 parts of the climber would be joined with less chance of the bottom piece sliding down the tree.Hope this helps. Lon.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Hmmm, that would work. I really need to find someone that has a summit climber and try it in the yard. Thanks Lon
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

one thing i'd like to point out is if i'm going to carry it in for that much wt. of the stand i'll get me a tree lounge
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
Daniele

modified climber

Post by Daniele »

Ray, the Elf idea seems to be in the right direction, i am looking at it from a different prospective......putting a rope/cable controled from the top part of the climber, hooked to the bottom and instead of using your arms/shoulders, step into stirrups/loops from such cable/rope and use your body weight to raise the bottom part of climber....maybe?
Just my 2bits, Daniele

P.S. i have used a tree lounge, comfy.....but getting there..up...and down....not ergofriendly :wink: :wink:
Good hunting, be safe.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My climber has straps on the bottom part that you are supposed to put your feet in and when climbing you have to pull up with your feet/legs while pointing your toes downward. This is where the problem lies, I don't have the strength in my legs to do this because of the nerve damage in my lower back. I'm going to pick up some small diameter coated cable used for offshore fishing and some sleeves and a pair of crimpers and see what I can come up with. I might have to buy a couple of ladder stands but I'd much rather be mobile and not have to depend on someone to move the stand for me. Thanks for the ideas guys, keep em coming.

P.S. I'm going to try ELFs idea, I've got rope on hand. Maybe I'm making it too complicated.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

safest climber i know of is the tree lounge
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string