My little guy is growing up..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

My little guy is growing up..

Post by Pydpiper »

Actually, this was pretty good shooting for anybody..
He shoots a little .22LR Cricket, a 30" rifle made for kids his size. This 25 yard, 15 shot group was done with iron sites, I couldn't even see the targets center at that range. He shoots a lot, this time some of the senior members seen him come in and followed him down to the range to watch him shoot, The whispering stopped when he began to cycle his gun. :wink:
Even the way he handles the rifle is neat to watch, considering he is 5. :D
He likes to hunt with me, but I find the more he shoots the more he prefers to spend his time at the range instead of the woods, that's OK by me.
He will be sitting in on the Hunters Education class with my wife in a month, as well as taking a range officer course with me, he loves to learn about this stuff and I believe this is a fine time for him to do it. :D

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Pydpiper! :D

Start 'em young, teach 'em right ... it's a good plan.

Good looking young man.

Good looking group!

Those mini-rifles are so neat! I'd have loved one of those!
Grizz
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Wow, The little man has a good teacher!!!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You are a proud father, and with good reason. I congratulate you for having him use both safety glasses and ear muffs. Good for you for teaching your son about firearms at an early age.

His smile is worth a million bucks.

I do wish though that you had posed him with the muzzle more clearly away from his upper body, but still in a safe direction. I couldn't see by the photo that the action was open, but I assume it was. I don't doubt that you are very safety conscious. However, appearances are extremely important, and even more so where you are involving children.

Please regard my comments as intended only to be encouraging you in the path you are taking your son, and intended to be helpfull rather than insulting.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Very good shooting.

It's so much fun watching the children grow up and excel.

Makes me wish I had a boy . . . .maybe I'll talk to the Mrs. about that tonight. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

The little Piper shoots purdy good. Good to see you have instructed him safely. Thats a nice little group for sure!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

AWESOME!!! Great to see him so into shooting in such a good way! We're hoping to raise our little guy into the sport as well.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

That's some awesome shooting little guy. I bought one of those for Tyler and he loved it. He went through it pretty quickly and on to a Rossi .22/410 combo.
http://www.rossiusa.com/products/produc ... ATCHEDPAIR

Now that was a sweet little combo especially if you do any upland bird hunting or shoot skeet. Man, you got me wanting another little guy but that ain't happening.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Very Good Shooting :!: :!: They grow up so Fast :) My father started me with a 22 at the ripe age of 8 Years old Squirrel Hunting :wink: i had to keep one shell in my pocket {like Barnie on Mayberry} while i learn't how to cross fences and carry the weapon in a safe manner. when the opportunity would arise that i could get a shot he would let me take the shell out put it in the weapon and take a shot. We allso spent a lot of time at the Rock Quarry Practice Shooting :) That was 47 years ago my Father has since passed but i still remember all the Good Times with him and the Safety and Fair Hunting pratices he Taught me :D The practice must have worked i Qualified in the Marine Corp As an EXPERT Shooter
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys and gals! He always does good down there(the range), this day was just particularly excellent. I don't suppose the promise of a pass through the McDonald's drive through as an incentive had anything to do with it.. :wink:
We tried to get that gun out of that position for the picture but he had a hard time holding the target at the same time as the rifle. That particular rifle needs a key to operate the bolt, very much geared around a child. He is like a machine on a range, he would never step behind the firing line with the action closed, he's been shooting that rifle for almost a year now.
Hunter also has the Rossi Matched pair in the youth model, a .22/20 Gage. I have a case of Fiocchi "lite" shells on order, they say they have no recoil at all, time will tell. He really wantIn the meantime I put it to good use.
He wants a scope, actually he started with a scope on that gun but it was a fixed 4X and he had a hard time acquiring close targets so I took it off. I decided that I would not put that scope or any other on his gun until he became proficient with irons, I think that day has come.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
roland

Post by roland »

excellent shooting. that is good to teach him at a early age.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Very nice groups for a youngster. The smile says it all. :wink:
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats a mighty fine Jake you got there and a fine shot as well.
Way to go Dad
:D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

Go figure, his name is Hunter! LOL! For the record the bolt was open, I couldn't help myself because I know the kid and couldn't believe it was closed so I blew up the pic and indeed it was open.
The little guy is a hardcore shooter for sure! When Dave and family was at my cottage last year Hunter was in all day shooting mode with his crossbow! I've been around him a bit and he really is unbelievably safe and proficient with firearms and bows. I am always taking a double take whether it's shooting something or riding on his quad. Dave, I know you're proud of your little guy and you should be. He's just as retentive as you are when it comes to doing something right! LOL, maybe worse/better! He's a good guy and will become a great compliment to our fraternity.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

nice work with the little guy
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string