got my STS system for the Phoenix today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

got my STS system for the Phoenix today

Post by wabi »

Unfortunately I didn't have time to do any real testing. I got them put on (and one side was a very tight fit! :? ), put my Boo string on, and only had time to shoot a couple arrows on my indoor target.
My first impression was that it doesn't make a huge reduction in overall noise, but it does change it from a twannnnng to a short dull thud. I was also hearing the sharp thwack of what I thing is the arrow retention clip hitting the deck. Perhaps a small piece of "moleskin" on the bottom of the clip will cure that.
The biggest thing I noticed was when the arrow was in the bullseye (and at 10 yards it doesn't take much time) my crosshairs were still centered on the bullseye! Usually recoil will throw the sight picture off, but I was staying right on target!
I did notice the serving is only on about ½ of the pad, the other half of the pad is bare string. Need to ask Boo if that will create a potential problem? I can easily serve the bare portion if he thinks it is necessary.
Haven't passed judgment on whether they are worth the $$$, but I'll try to shoot it side-by-side with my buddy's Phoenix and compare them sometime in the near future.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wabi, I would say that if you hear the arrow retention clip after you put the STS on then it has decreased the noise noticeably. I experienced the same thing. Right after installing the STS you could then hear the prolonged twang of the clip. I put heat shrink on it to shut it up.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I found mole skin around the bottom end of the clip to last hundreds of shots before replacing. I wrap it completly around for better adhesion. Loading a bolt is quieter as well.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
oldbhtrnewequip

Post by oldbhtrnewequip »

Boo wrote:Wabi, I would say that if you hear the arrow retention clip after you put the STS on then it has decreased the noise noticeably. I experienced the same thing. Right after installing the STS you could then hear the prolonged twang of the clip. I put heat shrink on it to shut it up.
Boo,

Can you post a picture with the clip?

Thanks!!

Pete
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've got to dig through my "electric" box I guess. I think I might have some heat-shring tubing (for well pump cables) that might fit the clip.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

I used double wall (self-sealing) heat shrink because it glues itself to the arm.[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... CN0694.jpg[/img][/img]
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I forgot to mention that I adhered a 1" by 1/2" Sims Vibration rubber strip halfway down the clip. They come in two packs of 3" by 1/2", for around $8.00. It also assits in canceling clip vibration well.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family