Hardwater fun.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

Hardwater fun.

Post by catcher »

I thought I would share with you all one of my winter activities. Yes Saxman not only does our rain turn into white stuff called snow but our lakes freeze into ice. As we speak there is about 18 inches of ice out there on the mighty Bay of Quinte. I love to go ice fishing for walleye and what ever else comes along and bites. I was out last night and thought I would share some pics of the event. It was -14 celsius but with the heater going in the portable ice hut it was rather comfortable. I use a portable fish flasher called a Vexillar and is a real time fish display. Was not a great bite, but did manage one nice eater. If anybody wants to come on up and give it a try with me you are more than welcome anytime.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Burrrrrr -14c :shock: :shock: It hit 70c here today with high winds and rain is coming. Never been ice fishing but it looks fun. What do you use jigs, minnows??????
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
catcher

Post by catcher »

Ya I use minnows and a whistle jig. That revolving blade gives off good vibrations in the water and can trigger them to strike. Some people use big spoons but I prefer to go small. It is alot of fun if you ever get the chance give it a try.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

That is a GOOD Eating Fish There :D I grew up in Monona Wisconsin i can relate to the ice fishing looks like you have all the bases covered :wink: I left over 20 years ago and can not see me in that cold again :lol: Tennessee will be the coldest i can handle :wink:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Nice fish, actually the whole set-up looks great.
That propane tank looks like it is working pretty hard. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

Yes we live in different worlds but we have ICE HOLES down here too.
HA!!!!
I kill me.
When I was on the road I kept a small apartment in Laconia New Hampshire and I always wanted to Ice fish.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

nice but where is the catfish????
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Good job!

I haven't ice fished since moving to Ontario ages ago. 18" of ice doesn't seem quite thick enough for us when we were used to burying the auger and not getting through. LOL :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

How in the world are you gonna get a flounder out of that little hole? :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

That's exactly the ice shack I wanted to buy, but they were sold out. I ended up buying a homemade one from a local guy. I like the idea you can pull them around with a snowmobile or quad. Is there enough room inside the sled to put all your gear, ice auger, tackle, rods, etc. etc.???
Someone also told me that your feet get cold in those kind of shacks, how do you find it??

As soon as the weather starts getting a little warmer, I'm putting away the snowmobile's and start ice fishing hard, my kids sure like going out on the frozen pond.

I'll try and post some pictures later on when we get the chance.

Congratulation on your Walleye, and happy fishing.

Grey Owl

P.S What kind of All-terrain do you have? Looks like a Grizzly.
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

My cousin has the same one my feet were always warm we also used a heater tho. we usually cover the bottem flap with snow to stop the drafts i usually have to take my jacket off im so warm
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Man after my own heart. Mine is pretty much the same, one a single person FishTrap Scout Pro. Easier to set up and to heat. Great since I usually fish alone. Warmer feet? Try putting a piece of thick carpet under your feet.
Spent a couple of days on the ice last week, in a large mobile house. It was 22 F when we set up. Two days later it was -26 F when we woke up. No inside privy; that kind of cold will get your attention going. One good thing, you don't spend a lot of time doing it.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I also do some ice fishing on the BOQ to pass the cold winter months as I live within 25 min. of some of the best walleye fishin in the world. Here are a few from the other day. Not sure what the first two would weigh as I did not have a set of scales with me that time or a measuring device. But someone was kind enough to come weigh and measure the last one, it was 8lbs 11oz and measured 28 3/4" so your guess is as good as mine for the other 2 but I would guess around 10lbs for the first and easily over 13lbs for the 2nd but I could be way off as I do not catch them that size often enough to be a pro at it. Keep in mind I am 6'2" 250lbs if it helps for size perception.
ImageImage
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I forgot to mention that the 3 big pigs all went back down the hole to fight another and hopefully make the spring spawn. However I did keep one around 3lbs for the table, they just taste tooo good lol. :wink:
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like fun!
I'm in the middle ground I guess. Seldom enough ice for (ice) fishing, but too often too much for (regular) fishing.
Real interesting weather here today! Rain turned to sleet and then to snow then back to sleet, then back to rain! The roads were cleared, but everything else was covered in wet ice. :shock:
Looks like the same thing again tonight. :(
I did do some maintenance on my bowfishing equipment today! :D
wabi