New to Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

First of all Welcome to the dark side
If you want honest info below the border on crossbows you should get ahold of Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery 740-483-2312 .He has forgot more about crossbows than most people will ever know . He is the Excalibur Rep for the US.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

a few years ago i was in a local bow shop ...went in thinking i was gonna buy a excalibur ......he talked me out of the purchase started waving ten point and hortons in front of me ....i walked out rethinking my purchase ....i waited and now i currently own a phoenix 175lb bow ...bought it last year ...now he mostly sells excals and pushes.....one of the .... drawbacks of the excal are the are cumbersome to be carrying thru the bush....i track animals and find it tought do to the size ....i find the x bow noisy as well ...some of the bow accesories are made elswhere eg: china ...other than that not much else to say .....i would buy another probably the exocet next time ......just my 2 cents
oldbhtrnewequip

Post by oldbhtrnewequip »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D

I think you'll be pleased with the lower price and simplicity of an Excalibur bow ... they're very high quality; they're all you need.

They're NOT quiet.

Don't worry about it. Doesn't make any difference! :D
Maybe but my new string is in the mail from Boo :)...hoping that quiet things down a bit !!
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

welcome and enjoy
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Friend

Isnt it funny as wabi said how we are programed to feel differently about the crossbow when we have none of those feelings switching to other weapons.It's like having a girlfriend from accross the tracks that we visit every now and then but dont let anyone know about.(not that I know anything about that)
I too switched because of health issues and I can say I waited to long,wish I had done it earlier.
In most of my hunting situations I choose the crossbow unless terrain dictates otherwise.
Good luck with your decision but to sway you my way my bow has never been in a pro shop NEVER.It's fast efficiant and extreemly deadly and like it's owner it's pretty darn good looking too (shameless plug)
I carry my crossbow with pride,I have stickers all over my jeep in case anyone is confused as to what I like to do.
Come join us in this great sport and lets FIGHT for other peoples right to do the same.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

That away Saxman :!: :!: I wish i could put my thoughts in words like you :wink: You hit it right on the head AGAIN Keep it up :!: :!:
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I can see one thing already - once I get my crossbow I am going to hook up with Graywolf and get some of his custom bolts I saw in one of the other forums if he is still making them this spring.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Welcome...........

Like many here, I'm an excalibur nut. I've owned about 7 models threw the years besides accuracy and quality. Also It's nice to know your buying a quality product designed and made in Canada. No "Made in China" Here!
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

As you can see, there are many people here willing to help & give advice where they can. IT's one thing that got me onto looking at the excals. I too dry fired my excal once & blew a limb. One email & Bill sent me new ones. Customer service is unmatched by anyone. The bows are practically indestructable. Just the thought of having to take a compund xbow back to the shop to get adjusted or change strings was enough to turn me the other way! I like being able to change strings in just a few minutes. I have three different strings I rotate and use.
You'll never be dissappointed with an Excalibur.
Once you own one...you feel like you're part of a real big family
Goodluck with you choice!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

Well I finally got that new crossbow - 2008 Vortex
Would like to hear from you guys on what arrows and string I should be shooting with this besides what comes with the right stuff package.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Boo

Post by Boo »

You should think about Miller Killers and use the string that came with it until you are certain that you will not have a dry-fire. Also......I have an STS on all of my mag tipped bows.
BJ here on the forum (705 789 1208) makes arrows to order or you can call Danny Miller at Horizonatal Archery 740 483 2312. The arrows are basically carbons with front brass inserts.
Good luck!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend,I can offer no more advice that what you have already received except choose what you like.I shoot the Excalibur Equinox and it averages 348fps,I have killed one deer with it and had no complaints of noise although I do use noise reduction devices.
The folks here will help you no matter what you choose.
:D :D :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Since you've already gotten plenty of advice, and purchased your crossbow. I'm just going to WELCOME YOU TO THE FORUM.

On the other hand, maybe I should add and say: When you own any Excalibur, you own one of the best crossbow available. Of course that's only my opinion, and what do I know, I've only owned Excaliburs since 1989. :wink:

By the way, in 2007 I did happen to buy another a nice crossbow, (Tenpoint QX-4 Elite), which at the price of two Excaliburs, lighten my pocketbook substantial, only to realize that Excalibur crossbows are hard to beat :!:

..... and no I'm not an Excalibur employee. :lol:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Welcome and enjoy, you have came to the right place.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

Having shot my new Vortex about 50 times already with no trouble at all getting it sighted in at 10,20,30,40 & 50 yards. I was really impressed just how accurate it shoots. If it was not snowing like hell outside now I'd be out there shooting it now. As Boo said I am just going to get comfortable with it and then add an STS and a custom string to try to cut down the noise and vibration. I get a lot of really good info from reading all of the posts on this site and can tell there are a lot of people on here willing to help us newcomers. IT IS APPRICIATED! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS