Moose or Deer which is better tasteing????????????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Black Coyote

Moose or Deer

Post by Black Coyote »

Having harvested moose in both Newfoundland (my home province) and Northern Ontario; the taste will vary greatly one area to the other; especially in Newfoundland moose on the west coast of NFLD will have a different taste from one taken on the east coast of the province.
But my personal preference:

Deer; Moose; Seal Meat; Caribou;Turkey
Grizzly Adam

Re: Better tasting --deer or moose?????

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bbbwb wrote: It all depends on the method of handling and care between field and table. Field care is very important -- field dressing and cooling asap.
No doubt about that! It makes all the difference ... especially with BEAR ... which are often so fat and have such a heavy hide and coat that cooling quickly is critical.

I have liked what moose I've had better than deer, and the same goes for elk ... but I really like prime bear meat prepared properly. Good bear meat is GOOOOOOD, folks! It needs to be a young bear that's been butchered right. You can't expect an old boar that laid around for hours after being shot to be good, nor can you expect one that was run by hounds to be good. It takes a young one of reasonable size, dropped like a rock, and gutted and skinned quick. I know many people who have scarfed down bear meat without knowing it, all the while proclaiming how good that "beef" was! :wink:

I still think Boo needs to come down here and confront that bear-o-phobia of his. We could round up a junior for him ... something around 300 pounds ... you know, a "starter bear." Leave the big stuff for later. :wink: :D

I'd do the cooking. 8)
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Besides the age of the animal, how it's shot and taken care of, how it's cooked is all important to taste. Moose is good but I've prepared venison so that those eating it though it was veal. On another occasion I took parts of a smoked and BBQ venison shoulder to a friend. His wife asked what it was and I told her "wood veal". (she HATES venison.) She tried it and liked and wanted to know what wood veil is. Got madder than a wet hen when I told her that 'it would be veal if it weren't venison.'
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have moose and deer in the freezer and would take deer chops on the grill first .....
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Cossack - "Wood Veal" = "would be veal if it weren't venison"

That's great! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Will have to remember that one!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I have only been fortunite enough to have moose a couple times and I tell ya it was pretty dang good, good enough to make me want to get me one. But I have to say I do love my venison. Preperation will make or break it.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Myself I like moose more than deer. I am able to hunt moose every year so if I am unable to harvest a moose then I will fill my freezer with deer meat.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I prefer moose over deer any day. I know this thread is about moose and deer, but surprisingly only a few people mentioned buffalo or bison. These animals eat mostly grass, much like cattle, on occasion they'll dine on popular twigs which helps prevent worms in their stomach, and also if there's not much of their favorite feed left.

1. Buffalo
2. Elk
3. Moose
4. Antelope
5. Pizza/Beer
6. Deer

Grey Owl
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

Any one try Juniper Berries, the store kind.

The once humble juniper berry is enjoying a renaissance of its ancient popularity as a seasoning for game, as the country's top restaurants list venison, squab, pheasant and rabbit on their menus. A few juniper berries will reduce the wild flavor of these meats and will add the pleasant tartness long associated with Germanic dishes, such as sauerbraten, stuffed goose and beef stews. Juniper tea is a centuries old hangover remedy.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Brainiac wrote:Any one try Juniper Berries, the store kind.

The once humble juniper berry is enjoying a renaissance of its ancient popularity as a seasoning for game, as the country's top restaurants list venison, squab, pheasant and rabbit on their menus. A few juniper berries will reduce the wild flavor of these meats and will add the pleasant tartness long associated with Germanic dishes, such as sauerbraten, stuffed goose and beef stews. Juniper tea is a centuries old hangover remedy.
I have tried them. My grand mother used to pick them when we went camping and used them for cooking both at home and while out. I may have to reaquaint myself with them.

I have only had moose once years ago and recall it to be good. But I have no complaints, and have had no complaints with the venison that I prepare. Once in a while a screw it up be overcooking, but eat it just the same. I prefer it over beef.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Boo wrote:In order of preference I like;
Antelope
Elk
Moose
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Caribou (have yet to whack one)
Turkey

Bear(I will avoid them like the plague, no way Dave!)

Good thread Dick!
Hey Boo i have some nice big Bear steaks in the freezer do you want me to send you some , i could also send you some Bear jerkey you would like that , with the eastmans outdoors hickory seasoning mmmmm Gooood !
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

moose { as long as it is not an old bull.bear next. deer last. at our wild game dinner the first thing to go is meat balls made from bear burger,even the gals love it.
Big John

game

Post by Big John »

bait pile willie: That's what I make from my Bears. Burger, sausage, and a few choice steaks! :) Bear Burgers go like hot cakes around here!

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
roland

Post by roland »

moose over deer also.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Moose, Elk, deer, with raccoon bear tied and some place way down below everything eles antelope.
Antelope taste just like sage brush.
The town that I'm from the Lions club has a Raccoon dinner every year the first Monday in Feb. My Dad use to catch half the coon for it.( about 125) They fix about 800 meals. Raccoon is not bad there is just a lot of things that are better. Bear erminds me of that.
I would love to go bear hunting some day but don't think I could eat it, so deer will do me just fine.