Turkeys everywhere today!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Turkeys everywhere today!

Post by Pydpiper »

Seems everywhere I look today I am seeing piles of turkeys, passed 7 farms in 15 minutes that had a dozen or 2 turkeys. I usually see them on a few of the farms I passed, but never at the same time, always thought it was the same flock traveling around.
Sat in wait of a neighborhood coyote last night, about 40 birds walked right past me from the field and went to roost.
Getting the fever a lot sooner than I thought I would..
Got my second chunk of reliable info that we are defiantly going to be hunting them in the fall too. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

Got my second chunk of reliable info that we are defiantly going to be hunting them in the fall too
I know there is going to be a fall hunt in Ontario but I have been unable to find out where. It's only going to be in a limited number of WMU's. Do you know if that info is available yet?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Here is a map of the wmu's that are proposed to have full hunting oppurtunities.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/hunting/tu ... -01-09.pdf

Also, I agree pydpyper, I seen probably 40 turkeys today behind my house and up against the escarpment.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Looks like things could be GOOD when you start hunting them. {Hope its not like the Snook down here they Know the minute season opens and get a lot harder to find :lol: :lol: }
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

We saw several nice flocks between London and South Lambton County yesterday on our way to shoot some sporting clays.

Just 2 months from today until the season opens! :D

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

I had 47 in the back yard two days ago,,, I had several that were 10 yards from the back deck and was able to get some good pics. I was able to get some pics of the white hen. I have named her Silver Back,, she's pretty cool.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Glad everyone is seeing the same thing I am, wont be long and these things are going to create a population problem that will call for more than just a fall and spring hunt.
Seen an odd number of coyotes yesterday (from the car) too, the wife called me and I could hear the kids yelling in the backseat, she said a coyote was crossing the road right in front of them, they were all pretty excited! First one my wife has seen.
I can't help but wonder if they are forecasting weather we are yet to see.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
swiftfox

turkeys everwhere

Post by swiftfox »

Pydpiper I understand that the fall turkey season has been approved on a trial basis for two years. Of course they are going to "nick" you for a fall turkey ticket too. It's to start Oct 20 to November 2. The sunday before the first deer hunt here in Ontario. The meeting 's have been held in Aylmer, Woodstock and Strathroy here in southwestern ont.

I would think that their will be some upset bow hunters as both seasons will run together for a time. I had responded to the MNR question sheet and suggested that they have the fall hunt from Sept 20th to October 1st.
That suggestion got shot down. (no pun intended) :lol: :lol:
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I personally have no problem with the overlap of seasons, I use the same broadhead for turkeys as I do deer.. Last year my son and I seen more deer pass by our position for turkeys than I was expecting.. I hunt from the same ground position for the birds as I do deer, so I will be ready for either one. :D
The problem I can foresee is the shotguns in archery season, keeps everything and everyone on their toes.. Sign of the times I guess.
I still think that these turkeys took so well to our environment during their reintroduction that we are in for some unforeseen complications. The difference form last year to this year is astounding as far as sheer numbers of these birds, not to mention I am now seeing them eating on the side of the well traveled roads, that is an invitation to a whole new problem.
May be a good time to get into the deep fryer business. :lol:
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

How do you guys hunt turkey in the fall? I'm relatively new to turkey hunting, about 2 yrs at it. Here in Ar. fall hunting them is more having one walk past you while deer hunting as they don't respond to calls like they do in the spring season. Could use your tips, thanks!
"Eze 18:21"
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I think that you'll find most of the turkeys shot during the fall hunt will be by bowhunters who are also hunting deer, just like pydpiper said.

Riley and I went out to chase some bunnies last night and on our way we saw a herd of about 20 deer one one side of a sideroad and then about 500 yards away on the other side of the sideroad we saw another herd of deer with a flock of turkeys mixed in with them!

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps