Camo Tape

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tworr

Camo Tape

Post by tworr »

The customizing has begun.
I've filled my stock with silicon and decided that I wanted to camo the side of the rails.

I found camo tape in realtree AP to match my Equinox, but had poor results with the brand which was Hunter's Specialties Camo No-Mar Vinyl Gun and Bow Tape.

When I put the tape on the side of my rail, there was very little to no stretching to get in the grooves of the rail and the tape peeled off within a few minutes. It also seemed like the tape was more paper than vinyl.

Has anyone had better results with other brands? I believe the camo duct tape only comes in Hardwoods HD. The camo cloth comes in Mossey Oak Break-up and wouldn't come close to matching the Realtree AP of the Equinox.

Thanks,

Tworr
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Get it camo dipped! :D
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
tworr

Post by tworr »

That definitely would be the best solution!!

Then that just brings up the whole question of why just have the rail dipped in Realtree AP when I could dip the whole thing for a new look.

Can you hear that?
I'm not sure what would be screaming loader, my wallet or my wife!!!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I risk being unintentionally offensive, but I have to ask.

Why spend any money on camo? The bow finish is non glare. Big game is color blind.

Is it not entirely a cosmetic issue no matter whether you use tape or other means?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I did my Vortex and Equinox in HS AP camo tape. Rail, Scope, scope mount, DB bars, and riser. Nothing peeled on both. Cleaning surfaces with accetone certainly helped. I couldn't ask for a better job, especialy for $5.00.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bj

Post by bj »

Hi5 wrote:I risk being unintentionally offensive, but I have to ask.

Why spend any money on camo? The bow finish is non glare. Big game is color blind.

Is it not entirely a cosmetic issue no matter whether you use tape or other means?
exactly....sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees - i guess that's a camo joke.....mr. camo man has pulled the wool over most folks eyes...if it ain't new, the lastest and the greatest, then it ain't "no freakin' good" you'll have to get the 2008 pattern...i'll have to tell my buddy about this with his deer---- brown vixen...you, know the one that shot two deer last year - oops, sorry "Big Bill, it was probalby just a mstake ! :shock: ...

What a racket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Silicone? Isn't that heavy?
As far as camo goes, I would do what enormous mentioned, he is a great modder and wont steer you wrong.

Some people just don't understand a guys need to modify something, adding camo to a bow may not make it less visible in the woods but holding a bead on an animal with something that you made/modified/painted yourself is pretty cool, and I applaud you for trying. I hunt in camo clothes, like most people, but I also like to see other hunting (and non hunting items) in camo. My wife has a nice tight fitting T-shirt with camo trim, looks pretty hot on her, but it isn't there to hide in the woods, my wallet is real tree hardwoods, really has nothing to do with new/latest it is just another way of expressing myself.
Carry on and have fun, don't forget to show us the thing when you are done.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
tworr

Post by tworr »

I mean sure, the camo tape will give another 1 or 2 fps but that's not important. If it looks good, it's got to shoot faster.
I'm already putting the arrow in the same hole everytime so it's not about being a better shoot. Just ask the squirrels who have a hole in their head.

Putting camo on the rail is about customizing the xbow and making it my own. I just think it will look good without spending a bunch of money.
I have an image in my head of what I want it to look like and it has camo from the side ridge down.

Adding silicon did make it heavier, but it sure soaks up the vibration now.
I actually like the weight and I bet it's close to what a wood stock would feel like.
The idea of adding the camo tape was not only about getting the look I wanted, but another way I thought I could reduce vibration without filling the rail with foam. I read someone used cork under the rail and thought that I could kill two birds with one stone. If the rail was covered in tape it might slow down the vibration between the metal of the rail and the plastic stock.
tworr

Post by tworr »

I put this together real fast to show how I want my xbow to
look.

I do graphics for a living and find "balance" in this design.
Most importantly, the location of the camo keeps if from being damaged by the string or the cocking aid.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thats how mine looks 8)
But better.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
tworr

Post by tworr »

enormous wrote:Thats how mine looks 8)
But better.
Man, I cleaned it with acetone too!!! :evil:

I may try again tonight.

Does your xbow have grooves on the sides of the rail or is it flat?
-edit I see you said you did it to both your Vortex and Equinox.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I say different strokes for different folks,We dont have to use camo at all if we sit still,but we use it.
Some people enjoy tweaking and customizing.
If a person dosent like camo then dont camo,if you like it,go for it brother.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Normous

Post by Normous »

Maybe i just recvieved a better batch of tape. so far so good here.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

It's yours do what you want to.
Will try to get a pic of mine on here.
I have killed more deer in jeans than camo
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I spray painted my whole bow, including the scope. Did it need it. Of course it did!!! :D It's what seperates my Exocet from everyone elses. Same reason I painted my 10/22 and my 870. An inexpensive customization is all it is.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"