Not giving up my Paradox,but would like to buy a rifle.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new paradox

Not giving up my Paradox,but would like to buy a rifle.

Post by new paradox »

What gun would you guys buy.I will be looking at a 30-6 or 7mm,around the $500.00 range nothing much more then that.There are a few package deals at SIR that are under $500.00 with a scope and synthetic stock.Remington and Savage.Any thoughts would be great.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

What are you shooting at? lots of variables come to mind.
For me, the biggest I can shoot in my area is a .270 so for me that is an ideal rifle, to enjoy anything bigger I need to travel. That would take care of yotes (with a lot of noise), deer if I went north, moose too. It would depend on what is around you, and your needs.
Mmm, guns. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

with the 30-06 you have a lot of bullet/weight options off the store shelf. i have used one for 30 plus years using bullets from 125 to 220 grains off the store shelf depending on job application at hand... that 220 grain bullet kills on both ends though good luck!
thanks philip
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use an Encore in 270. I found one on extreme clearance with dicontinued camo (big deal) or I wouldnt have it.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have a look at the about to be released Marlin bolt action (yes Marlin). Very good looking gun with a brand new trigger, list just over $300.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You may think it's funny coming from a guy that shoots a Exomax . . .but, for deer hunting(and anything smaller), I found the 7MM to be way too much gun. There's too much damage to the meat. My cousin loves his 7MM, but, every year he blows away half a deer. If the choices were 7MM or 30.06, I would go with the 30.06. I must add, I shot a 30.06 for 4 years and I sold it to buy the Remington .270 I shoot today(that was 26 years ago).

If I were you, I would look at .270, .243, or .280 and I love the Remington bolt actions. One more thing, the triggers on the Remington 700 series are fully adjustable . . .I just figured that out a few months ago :oops: . I adjusted mine . . .it was easy. Make sure the gun you are buying has a fully adjustable trigger, otherwise, you will probably be taking it to a gunsmith one day. If budget is an issue, you might want to consider ammo cost before choosing.

The lighter recoil guns will make shooting more enjoyable.

Unless you live in Africa . . . .
Last edited by sumner4991 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rich

Post by Rich »

Another vote for the 270.

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Quote:"...every year he blows away half a deer."
That likely has more to do with the type of bullets he's using than the caliber.
Many poly tipped bullets (like Ballistic Tip) are nothing more than light-jacketed varmint bullets with a plastic tip. They create spectacular kills shot through the lungs; big blow-ups when they hit shoulders, hams or bones.
I'm guessing that he's lose less meat if he used bullets that don't explode so readily.
I've used the Barnes TSX bullets in a half dozen deer rifles (of the 16 chamberings I load) and have 19 consecutive one-shot kills, very little meat loss. They are made of all copper, don't lose weight and penetrate like nothing else I've tried.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cassack . . .you are probably right. I'll ask him what load he is using. I just see the results, it's ugly. He's probably using the cheapest "off the self" shell he can find, like me. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
cajun

Post by cajun »

I personally hunt whitetail with a 243 Winchester but our deer are not as large as Canadian deer.

In the price range you mentioned, I would highly recommend a Savage in any caliber. Very accurate right out of the box and has a user adjustable trigger. I own one in stainless with a synthetic stock. It is much more accurate than my shooting abilities..........

Good luck with whatever you decide!
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

Thanks for all the help guys.I will be shooting mainly deer but I do have a freind with a cabin in moose country.I was told the 125 grain in the 30-6 is a nice bullet to use.I have a 30-30 and a 303 and those I use in the bush.I see alot of deer at 300 yards were I go,the 303 has dropped them but I would like to have alittle more confidence when I pull the trigger.Can the .270 drop a moose and how is it at the long shots?
DJ test

Post by DJ test »

My friend has a Rem 270 pump.He has dropped moose on more than one occasion at over 300yds. They are more than adequate to take a moose at that range.Keeping in mind that you know your gun and where it shoots. You must hit in vital areas on any game for clean kills.
travis

Post by travis »

hi there i have hunted with a 308 for about 15 years and have shot alott of dear and moose with it in my opinion they are a very good alround rifle. last season i bought one of the remington packages you are talking about im sure it was the model 710 synthetic with scope, i have shot around 40 rounds though it now and am very happy with it for the price i feel it is a great deal. just my opinion.
exuinox, groundpounder mount,
right stuff scope packeage
greatest WIFE and kids got me this for fathers day.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

All around rifle, [Remington 30-06] Good for all North America big game!! Been shooting one for 35 years
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Iglooman

Post by Iglooman »

6.5 x 55 Swiss
Exomag