Skunk problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DOXNUT

Skunk problem

Post by DOXNUT »

hey was just wondering if anyone on here has ever delt with skunk problems. How do you deal with pest who can defend itself, with stink. Got one or more adult animals living under my shed for the past few months. Now that the nights are slowly warming, they are becoming more active. which is making me worry about letting the dog outside after dark. Don't want to hurt them. Thanks
the elf

skunk

Post by the elf »

Throw Mothballs or moth flakes under building where obvious entrance/exit is-----don`t be shy give them lots-----shove in as far as possible so the stuff is unaffected by weather. Possibly more drastic permanent measures might be necessary.Also when you groom your dog--put the hair under shed as well.--------Lon.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Contact Pydpiper, that's his business. I think you either need to trap them and relocate them or seal up the area where they are getting in when they are out for the night.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

I read somewhere that if you can place a drop cord & light bulb in the area they will leave.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Our neighbour has used pool chlorine pucks tossed into their holes under the sheds - I'm not sure of the other environmental consequences, but it seems to have worked as far as the skunks go. With a toddler and a dog in our backyard I'm very careful with what I put out, even what plants I use in the flowerbeds.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Where abouts are you DOXNUT? If you are in my basic proximity I will be happy to deal with them for you.
Very few make shift techniques are going to work right now, you have a female who has been there at least all of this winter and is fairly determined to have her young there. There are times of the year you can easily persuade them to leave, but this is definitely not it.
Skunks, like most other female animals are establishing their home to prepare for the spring birthing season, she has marked the spot with her scent (not the skunk scent) to bring in the boys for mating, that smell is what needs to leave to keep this from happening every spring and fall.
Mothballs won't do it, the active in them is naphthalene, no affect what-so-ever on skunks. At the right time of the year it is easier for them to move than to remove them, again, this is not that time.
I will be happy to bring this to a quick end for you if you are reasonably close to my route, the way I would any forum member, if not then I can guide you to getting rid of the skunk and it's odor in one fairly easy step, by PM.
David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Esox

Post by Esox »

Getting rid of them before your dog tangles with them is job one!!.... They are a problem for dogs and on top of that they can and do carry rabies...

I have a friend that had his dog sprayed, twice and it's noooooo fun!!!... Now he kills every one he comes across, just as a precaution....

Whatever you have to do.. DO IT!... Don't be polite.... Just do it.....
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

thanks everyone,lots of great ideas. tried mothballs inside a specially made container to protect children but with cold weather it hasn't worked. heard of using a work light and even rockn the place with music but haven't tried them. i'd hate to make this problem some elses, so safe removal will be my quest, i'm not planning on eat them so i'm taking them alive.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

PYDPIPER......I'm in sarnia, ON. Thanks buddy!

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE!
Rich

Post by Rich »

A 22 long rifle has always worked well for me, the smell only last for a little while. Real cheap also.

Rich
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

wow! i have learned more about skunks in 3 days then i ever thought imaginable. So from my new knowledge i'm starting to get a better understanding on whats happening. Im figuring that the skunk i seen last night was a male following his noise. THe reason i think this is because i cover up her entrance with 3 feet of snow, and there is no sign of her exiting. Over the past days I noticed lots of skunk tracks all threw my yard. The snow cover entrance has tons of tracks on it, now im seeing the big picture. THANKS EVERYONE. Hopefully my trailcam will get some evidence for me.
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

I know that trapping one in a cage then putting the cage in a rain barrel with the lid on for a few weeks, Then tricking a friend to open it is a riot :lol:
“A hungry dog hunts best”
Lee Trevino

Every time you kill a coyote an angel gets a set of wings. OK, I made that up. But it should be the case.
Mike P
saxman

Post by saxman »

My Dumb @$$ brother in law shot one with his pistol and it went under his trailer and got into the AC duct and stunk the whole place up,they had to move out for a few days.HA!!!!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

There aren't any skunks in this part of East Carolina (the soil doesn't support their burrowing habits) ... but I did see a pretty solid-looking roadkill skunk in my travels out-of-state last week.

I wish I'd had a good trash bag with me, 'cause I was very tempted to stop and pick it up and bring it home to put in a trap that this redneck keeps setting right by the road (without permission) about a half-mile from the house.

That would get 'em talkin', now wouldn't it? :shock: :wink:
Grizz
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I'd put the garden hose under there then turn on the tap, that should move her out long enough for you to seal up the burrow. :D

Jay