Planning on making a steam piston engine... Any tips?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rage_A_Holic

Planning on making a steam piston engine... Any tips?

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I got a welder for Christmas, and I want to put it to good use. I'm a HUGE fan of machines that transfer energy from one form to another.

My current project, I am creating a bicycle driven air compressor. I have an AC compressor from an old car, which I am connecting to the rear tire of my bicycle via a V belt. the compressor will move air into a tank, which I can then use for small applications like filling tires, or small air hand tools, like ratchets, or grinders. I'm pretty excited about it; but so far, has been pretty easy. I'll let you know if it works when I am done.

For my next attempt; I will try to build a steam engine from scratch. the idea is to burn wood; and get electrical energy.

First step is burning wood, to receive reciprocating movement. to do so, I plan on getting a water filled copper pipe coil, and placing it in a fire. the coil will be split, feeding two steam inlets. 4 valves will control steam flow, allowing a piston to move right and left.

According to "HowStuffWorks.com" this is how old fashioned steam engines work.
Howstuffworks.com wrote:Image
I didn't like the slide bar, which is why I designed the valve system. Check out my diagram by clicking the thumbnail.

Once I have reciprocating motion, it will be easy to convert it to rotary motion, which can turn a electric generator, which can charge a battery.

I plan to make the main piston out of 4" Steel pipe, and the inlets/outlet out of 1/2" copper water pipe. What do you guys think?
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Steam engines are cool, Rage.

You'd love the annual Old Thresher's Reunion at Denton Farmpark near Denton, NC ... it's held every year on July 4 weekend.

A world of steam-power from the past there, including the world's largest cotton press. Awesome.

My bro-in-law and I go every year! It's a family tradition! :D
Grizz
crowe

Post by crowe »

the steam threshers also have a show in Brigden Ontario every summer my dad goes religiously every year it would be very informative for you if i get some info on dates and times i'll p.m. them to you.
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Steam engines are cool, Rage.

You'd love the annual Old Thresher's Reunion at Denton Farmpark near Denton, NC ... it's held every year on July 4 weekend.

A world of steam-power from the past there, including the world's largest cotton press. Awesome.

My bro-in-law and I go every year! It's a family tradition! :D
Sounds awesome! but a little far :(
Thanks for the tip though
crowe wrote:the steam threshers also have a show in Brigden Ontario every summer my dad goes religiously every year it would be very informative for you if i get some info on dates and times i'll p.m. them to you.
Excellent. Right up my ally. I'll look into it.
cwt

Post by cwt »

Not to get all preachy, but be careful. Pressure vessel is just a fancy word for bomb. Use a blow-out disc in your tank. I remember seeing a news story about one of those steam threshers blowing up at a state fair, and I always get nervous around them now.
Iglooman

Wow

Post by Iglooman »

:lol: got to give you credit - if only I could rig my ford escape to run on steam I will no longer be worshiping the oil gods. It never seems to amaze me on how fast they can get the oil from the middle east, refine it and put it in the tanks at the gas station whenever the cost of the barrel goes up. What ever did happen to the cheaper stuff that was in the holding tank?

just my two cents worth
Exomag
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I've got the bulk of the piping dry fitted. Still have to start the piston work though. I ended up using valves rated for 600PSI. I'm assuming that will be plenty. for the piping I used L grade 1/2" copper pipe.

WOW! that L grade is expensive.
cwt wrote:Not to get all preachy, but be careful. Pressure vessel is just a fancy word for bomb. Use a blow-out disc in your tank. I remember seeing a news story about one of those steam threshers blowing up at a state fair, and I always get nervous around them now.
Good point. I will put a 200-300 PSI release valve somewhere. that way, if the pressure builds too high, it will let out some steam.

I'm pretty excited. I'll be sure to post pictures soon.

But I'm still looking for a pipe to make the main piston out of. any idea's where I can get a seamless 2"-3" steel pipe, which is about 2'-3' long? It MUST have a smooth inner surface.

the piping at Home Depot was around $50. Forget that. I want to reuse it from something. I think I am going to look for empty compressed gas cylinders. Once I chop the two ends off, it will make a tube.
dnepr

Re: Planning on making a steam piston engine... Any tips?

Post by dnepr »

Rage_A_Holic wrote:I got a welder for Christmas, and I want to put it to good use. I'm a HUGE fan of machines that transfer energy from one form to another.

My current project, I am creating a bicycle driven air compressor. I have an AC compressor from an old car, which I am connecting to the rear tire of my bicycle via a V belt. the compressor will move air into a tank, which I can then use for small applications like filling tires, or small air hand tools, like ratchets, or grinders. I'm pretty excited about it; but so far, has been pretty easy. I'll let you know if it works when I am done.

For my next attempt; I will try to build a steam engine from scratch. the idea is to burn wood; and get electrical energy.

First step is burning wood, to receive reciprocating movement. to do so, I plan on getting a water filled copper pipe coil, and placing it in a fire. the coil will be split, feeding two steam inlets. 4 valves will control steam flow, allowing a piston to move right and left.

According to "HowStuffWorks.com" this is how old fashioned steam engines work.
Howstuffworks.com wrote:Image
I didn't like the slide bar, which is why I designed the valve system. Check out my diagram by clicking the thumbnail.

Once I have reciprocating motion, it will be easy to convert it to rotary motion, which can turn a electric generator, which can charge a battery.

I plan to make the main piston out of 4" Steel pipe, and the inlets/outlet out of 1/2" copper water pipe. What do you guys think?
along with the safety warnings I hope you realize that a n A/C compressor on a car can require 5 BHP to run. This should keep ypu in excelnt shape for hunting season :) . You will have to devise an oiling system for the A/C compressor . An automotive A/C system is closed and has a couple OZ of oil floating around in the system to keep it lubed . It is very specific oil in the A/C but I think that has more to do with the refrigerant than the compressor. I would stay away from engine oil as it would swell the seals in the compressor but ATF might work.
Hopefully you get the compressor figured out before you try the steam engine. any steam engine will run on compressed air so it is a good way to test you engine before you get into building the boiler.
Best of luck to you , I love alternate energy, alternate fuels, and off the grid stuff. Someday I would love to have an off the grid home .
wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe the maximum working pressure rating for type "L" copper is somewhere around 120 psi in a steam system. The type of solder used can greatly reduce that rating. I would check the ratings, then size the relief valve accordingly. You may need to silversolder or braze the joints to get a maximum pressure rating that will work.
Looks like an interesting project, but be careful! A joint blowing apart in a pressurized steam pipe can be very dangerous.
wabi
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i would recomend at least 1 relief valve of a size large enough to let off a lot of steam pressure quickly and located in such a way that if it did open that the steam from it opening would be directed in a safe direction away from people.more than one would be better and could be set up to allow a smaller valve to open at a lower pressure and a second larger one to poen at a few more pounds of pressure. this will be safer and more energy efficient, because if the smaller one opens and relieves enough pressure less energy is wasted/lost and if the first (smaller) relief valve does not let off enough pressure then the second larger one opens and lets off a lot and if the second one opens and continues to make more and
more noise then RUN! good luck!
a scrap pile at a paper plant may be a good place to look for some seemless pipe.
thanks philip
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Please do not take this the wrong way but playing with steam is a good way to get your self, or someone else killed .

Welding / or designing a boiler / pressure vessel is something best left to the experts . Any small mistake in the design or in the welding of it can create a bomb, that could kill you or anyone near as well a do some serious property damage.

I was a licensed welder - structural and high pressure pipe ( all position ). The welds for these sort of things have to be perfect .The TSSA regulates all boilers / pressure vessels in Ontario .

Just remember what happens when a rad cap comes off an over heated radiator in a car . They have a working pressure of up to 15 psi .

http://www.tssa.org/regulated/boilers/default.asp
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Rage ...

It's a good idea to respect the cautions and warnings offered by these guys, because they offer them out of concern and good nature, and they have a point: there is danger involved in this field of activity. Take all of it as it is given: words from friends who don't want you to get hurt.

That being said, don't let any of it kill your interest or dampen your enthusiasm. You need to be sensibly careful, but you don't need to give up.

Why not get involved with a group of steam power enthusiasts? There are many such groups in North America, and they love new blood. There are many men (and some women!) who could guide you in completing your project with good safety born of long experience.

You're obviously a sharp young guy, Rage, and you have a good, thinking head and a knack for experimentation and detail. We want you to keep that head on your shoulders, so just be careful.

Any steam power groups in your area?
Grizz