Ancient Xbow Type

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Ancient Xbow Type

Post by awshucks »

seige stuff. Found this site while roaming xbow forums, thanks to Woodies Hunting Indianna. Haven't seen it here that I can recall, it's long, has pics and I think it's pretty neat! I was paricularly amazed by some of the trigger designs [detailed photo's] Enjoy!

http://www.legionxxiv.org/catapulta/
"Eze 18:21"
Toast

Post by Toast »

I saw something on these on the History Channel or another channel. These were deadly.
Doug
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Cool stuff, Awshucks. :D

I love weapons of the past. Love flintlocks ... have a superb 1760 era fowling piece. Want to get into matchlock shooting. I started archery shooting a hickory Eastern Woodland Indian style flat-bow ... and I'd dearly love to buy (or build) a medieval style crossbow for hunting.

Have plans to build a working small-scale trebuchet ... but I guess I won't hunt with it. Getting the deer to stand still would be tough.

Thanks for the link! :D
Grizz
Toast

Post by Toast »

Yea they called them Ballista:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista

During the days of the conquest of Empire, the ballista proved its worth many times, in sieges and battles, on ships and on the land. It was even used to quell riots. It is from the time of the Roman Empire that many of the archaeological finds of ballistae date and in these times that many of the authors, whose technical manuals and journal accounts used by archaeologists to reconstruct these weapons, wrote their accounts.

After the time of Julius Caesar, the ballista was a permanent fixture in the Roman Army and, over time, modifications and improvements were made by successive engineers. This included replacing the remaining wooden parts of the machine with metal, creating a much smaller and lighter machine, capable of even more power than the wooden version, since the metal was not liable to snap like the wood, and which required less maintenance (though the vital torsion springs were still vulnerable to the rain).
Doug