Crossbow solution(s) required for Lady shooter.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gunnutjay

Crossbow solution(s) required for Lady shooter.

Post by gunnutjay »

Hey Guys;

My wife and I are considering buying crossbows. We had never shot a crossbow until yesterday at South Nation Archery in Winchester ON. Larry was kind enough to allow us to fire the 200 pound excalibur crossbow (15.5 inch power stroke) he had at his store. We were IMPRESSED with the Excalibur product!!!

So, this is where we are needing some advice. My wife was unable to cock the crossbow, not because of a lack of strength, but because she physically couldn't pull the rope cocking aid the 30 or so inches required to use its mechanical advantage. She was about 1.5 inches short of cocking the bow by herself!!! Larry was impressed!!!

*** I should also say that we know the "crank-a-roo" exists, but my wife doesn't want to have to lug it around with her.

He suggested that my wife go with the Vixen, a 150 lb model with a 13.5 inch power stroke specifically designed for smaller archers. At LeBaron's, my wife had a good look at the Pheonix and if she is able to "run" the Pheonix with the 14.5 inch power stroke, that's the one she wants to go with. Because LeBaron's doesn't have a range, the opportunity to try cocking the Pheonix wasn't an option. Unfortunately, we have yet to see all the Excalibur crossbows in one location so our decision as to which one to get for her is up in the air. We definitely want her to be able to "run" the bow by herself and hunt independantly.

Larry also said that some small statured hunters had re-designed the foot loop up front to allow further advantages to the hunter and assist cocking the bow. With the bow sitting lower to the ground, it means the crossbow string can be pulled back further by the shooter... We are open to solutions like this, but would love to see/hear from others, especially ladies, or their significant other who has solved this problem for them.

Thanks in Advance
Jay & Huntress
P.S. Its also driving me crazy!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

What game do you intend to hunt??

The Vixen has proven itself capable on moose sized critters. The Phoenix will add more KE and a little more zip.

One thing your wife may want to try is shortening the rope cocking aid. This, from what I have read, helps small statured folks. I'm sure some of the vertically challenged will add their personal experiences. There are also a couple of women on the forum with whom your wife may be able to relate.

Welcome!! :D
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Yahooo! Another woman is going to enjoy her crossbow! WELCOME!

As far as hunting and 3D - the Vixen won't disappoint you! I love my Vixen. It's more than enough to carry through the woods. I use the rope cocking aid to cock and uncock. The nice thing about the Vixen is that if were to find myself without the cocking aid (broken, cut or lost) I could still do both by hand.

I have the strength to cock all the models including the Exomax with the cocking aid, but at 5'6" tall those last few inches on the longer models are pretty hard work.

As I understand it, there are a few members on this board who have more than one model but prefer to hunt with their Vixens because they're lighter, shorter, and just as capable. :lol:

If you're concerned about the lack of camo - don't be. The non-glare brown Vixen disappears in the woods just as well.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome to the forum both of you.
My wife Patti shoots the Vortex 200. She is 5'6" and about 135 lb. At first using the cocking rope was kinda difficult. It is all about practice and technique, getting used to the technique being more important. It came quickly for her and she can now cock my Equinox 225 without any problem either.

Remember the cocking rope is adjustable to shorten the string length. The one you used as a demonstrator likely was not set up with the ideal length for your wife, which probably made it more difficult for her. Just keep shortening the sting by changing the knot location. A shorter string will allow a easier pull stroke for a shorter person.

I think Excalibur has the old style shorter version stirup still available to shorten the overall length about one inch for those interested.

So, the way I see it, if she is a newbie and can cock the Vixen I'm confident cocking the Phoenix with some practice will become easy, especialy with the cocking rope adjusted properly to her liking.

Also, the cocking rope can easily be used to uncock the Excalibur as well. Always 100% make sure the deck is all clear before doing so.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gunnutjay

Post by gunnutjay »

Thanks Chris, yes, we tried shortening the rope cocking aid... She was still short of being able to lock it back.

We just located a Phoenix that my wife is going to see if she can cock it. If that doesn't work, we will look for a Vixen for her to try to cock.

Cheers
gunnutjay
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Gunnutjay! :D

No news here ... she'll be best off with the bow she can easily cock. Ya'll know what you need to know about that already.

You've come to the right place.

Enjoy the experience! :)
Grizz
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

You can make the rope shorter on the cocking handles
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

My wife was unable to cock the crossbow, not because of a lack of strength, but because she physically couldn't pull the rope cocking aid the 30 or so inches required to use its mechanical advantage. She was about 1.5 inches short of cocking the bow by herself!!! Larry was impressed!!!
If you have to pull 30", to cock the bow, the rope is much too long. The rope that is included in Cocking aid kit is purposely made longer than needed so it can be used with other crossbows besides the Excaliburs.

Personally, I cut my rope in half, (making the aid 32" from handle end to handle end). Having to only pull about 16" or less allows me to cock any of the Excaliburs with ease, even though I'm just over 5'6".
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
HW

Post by HW »

If you want to see all the Excal lineup, the guys from excal will be at the sportsman show this week at the Ex. They will be showing off all their models.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the family.

HW
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If you can make it down to the sportsmans show ,excalibur will be there.So you can look at all the models and choose for yourself .For a shorter statured person I would personally suggest a phoenix .
just my 2 cents worth.
Ps welcome to the forum :D
TPM

Post by TPM »

To me the Vixen seems like the obvious answer. Why make things harder for her than you have to? Being able to cock a bow once is fine if all she wants to do is hunt but if the bow is going to be used for target practice or 3D than she may become discouraged after about the 15th or 20th time cocking it during an afternoon of shooting.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friends.
I cant help you with your decision but you have come to the right place.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Welcome to the forum , as you can see here you have alot of help with any question you may have , great people here and great wealth of knowledge, take your time with what model of Excalibur is right for you and your wife , what ever model you do go with i know you will be very happy with the bow and the customer service is way beyond great, i would definatly go to the sportsman show and try out what ever you want and you will have the people there that will help alot.
RyanB

Re: Crossbow solution(s) required for Lady shooter.

Post by RyanB »

gunnutjay- Ryan here from Canadiangunnutz (he asked this question over there and mentioned to him that the great people over here would have an answer for him!)

Anyway, I also mentioned to him on that site that she may have better luck with one of the older used bows. Did the carved limb tip bows not have a shorter draw length?

That is just a thought that may work for her as there are always great deals that come up on here in used bows and it could just be the ticket.

RyanB
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum, Nice too have you both aboard :D I would definately take the time to try the bow before you buy, Too make sure she gets the one she feels comfortable with.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]