Dampening

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

canadiancaller

Dampening

Post by canadiancaller »

Does anyone have any pics of a sts dampening system?
Love some feed back as i'm interested in the mathas aswell
Thanks
Davey
"whack em' and stack em'"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Canadiancaller! :D

Thought I'd give your post a bump up.

I know several of the knowledgable posters on here have recently started using the STS system, and can probably tell you lots about it.

You might get more attention if you edit your post and include "STS" in the title, too.

Good luck. Lots of good guys on here who love to test and report, and to help out. Enjoy the experience. :D
Grizz
canadiancaller

Post by canadiancaller »

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE AND WELCOMES!! MEANS ALOT!! :)
Boo

Post by Boo »

OOps. Welcome Davey!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

I recently put the STS system on my Phoenix and am impressed with the noise reduction & vibration dampening. I was also impressed with the "catwhiskered" string Boo makes. The combination of both the Boo string and the STS system makes a very noticeable difference in the way the bow feels and sounds to me.
I compared my Phoenix (I removed the DBs from my Phoenix when I first got it because I didn't feel the small amount of noise reduction and dampening they offer were worth the effort of removing the pads every time I unstring the bow, and I string it only when I'm going to shoot in the warm weather months of summer) to my buddy's Phoenix which is the stock production model (DBs & Excel string). For the test I used the same arrow and had my buddy fire both bows while I listened, the I shot both bows while he listened. My son observed and listened while we both shot. All of us agreed my bow was much quieter.
In summary I would say nothing you can do will completely silence a crossbow, but if the noise and vibration distract your concentration, the Boo string & STS system just might be worth the investment.
As far as hunting, I don't have all the yardages, but most of my shots on deer have been in the 10 - 20 yard range, with the 0 - 10 yard range being second, and only 1 or 2 in the 20 - 30 yard range, with an average probably under 15 yards. I've been crossbow hunting deer for several years, and I don't believe the noise has ever been a factor at those ranges.
For hunting I'm not going to try to stretch my personal limit for an "ethical" range because of the noise reduction, but for general practice and target shooting I do find the Phoenix more pleasant to shoot with the Boo string and STS system on it.
wabi
canadiancaller

Post by canadiancaller »

Thanks Wabi!

Love to see a pic or two of the sts..where do i buy them?

Thanks Again
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome Davey :D Nice to have you on the Forum.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
jniszczak

Post by jniszczak »

I had a Boo string and STS on a new Vortex and thought it made a whole lot of difference. If you do nothing else, I highly recommend the string upgrade and get in touch with Boo!