length of barrel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bait pile willie

length of barrel

Post by bait pile willie »

just got my pal in the market for a shotgun,using it for turkey,and deer. for deer will shoot buckshot and foster type slugs.the gun I am looking at comes in barrel lenghts of 24-28' 23/4 to31/2 inch shells.5 choke tubes.is there any problem with 24' barrel.I have been told that with shells with plasticwads holding the pellets together longer so barrel lengh isnt so important.the gun is a stoeger pumpgun.any thoughts on this wold be appreciated.thanks.BILL
saxman

Post by saxman »

Excuse my ignorance.
What is a PAL?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

It is a firearms Possession and Acquisition License.
Apparently the modern day progressive powders make anything much longer than 24" or so a waste. My Super Black Eagles are both 24" barrels and I have no problem whacking turkeys and high flying geese at longer ranges.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thanks Boo
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

A 24" barrel is ideal for both slugs and turkey hunting where getting round a tree makes the short barrel better suited for quick handling. Just make sure it has removable choke so you can tune the pattern to the game you're shooting. (Forster Slugs tend to favor more open bore than heavy turkey loads which favor F or XF chokes).
wabi

Post by wabi »

With modern powders the 24" barrel is plenty for full velocity. A longer barrel "points" better, but can be a real handicap in thick brush.
For hunting I would pick the short barrel.
wabi
swiftfox

length of barrel

Post by swiftfox »

bpw. I had to have one of my guns made over for turkeys this year (Winchester) as I was using my browning 5 but it is not a good idea to shoot steel shot through these guns. you can but only for a short while. They develope a bulge at the end of the barrel. I went with a 24 inch barrel (full) with turkey choke. I am also lucky enough to have a cylinder barrel for this gun that I use for deer hunting. I shoot challanger sabots through it. You should have no problem shooting either OO buck or sabot in a 24in barrel.

Also FYI anyone with a old POL may now apply for renewal as there has been an admendment to the gun licence system. If you have a PAL like me, just keep getting it renewed. I saw that post on OFAH website. :D
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
saxman

Post by saxman »

My turkey gun has a 24" and uses choke tubes,put down everything its been pointed at,both of my semi autos have longer barrels and are fixed chokes,I think one is modified and the other improved cylinder
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Re: length of barrel

Post by Pydpiper »

swiftfox wrote:Also FYI anyone with a old POL may now apply for renewal as there has been an admendment to the gun licence system. If you have a PAL like me, just keep getting it renewed. I saw that post on OFAH website. :D
Edited, I found the link :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

I had to have one of my guns made over for turkeys this year (Winchester) as I was using my browning 5 but it is not a good idea to shoot steel shot through these guns.
I agree, it's not a good idea to shoot steel through old A5's but if you're using it for turkey why not just use lead?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Thanks for the gun legislation info, I have been wanting to upgrade my POL. About time they start to simplify this stupid registery.
swiftfox

length of barrel

Post by swiftfox »

TPM as you know the old brownings came in barrel length from 26-32 inches . The buck special being included. We were talking 24 inch barrels in this thread. My old browning was a waterfowl gun with a vent rib and 28 inch barrel. I will continue to shoot lead through it for upland game, however for duck and geese as you know you must use steel shot. As I had said in the previous thread, I had an extra barrel for the winchester and the deal on the turkey barrel with the chokes was to good to pass up. Also as I get older the "light weight 12" ain't as light as it used to be and I have the versatility of having an all round gun in the Winchester. Besides you know how it is with Boy's and there toys----same goes for Gals. :D :D
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
bbbwb

Length of Barrel

Post by bbbwb »

swiftfox: I have an A5 Browning and I use it for waterfowl shooting the non-toxic shot --- tungsten matrix, bismuth with no problem. I am of the understanding that it will not cause problems

bbbwb.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I have an A5 Browning and I use it for waterfowl shooting the non-toxic shot --- tungsten matrix, bismuth with no problem. I am of the understanding that it will not cause problems
You are correct, the tungsten matrix and bismuth is fine for older guns but bismuth is no longer produced and tungsten matrix is getting VERY expensive. I did shoot steel through an A5 with a 30" barrel and a fixed MOD choke for a couple of seasons when no-tox shot first became mandatory and I had no problems but I know Browning recommends you don't do that. If you have an older Belgian A5 there is always the option of buying a newer Japanese made A5 barrel for it. These are fine for use with steel shot and they will fit the older Belgian guns.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger