camera's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

camera's

Post by M&M »

My wife has expressed interest in taking up a hobby of photography and I was wondering what would be a good digital camera to get her that would sort of get the most bang for the buck so ta speak M&M
saxman

Post by saxman »

Tough question,one I am interested in the answer to as well.
I know more mega pixels makes for a better enlargement but I am confused about optical vs digital zoom and price.

GOOD THREAD M&M
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
M&M

Post by M&M »

ya saxman I am kind of clueless but I have seen some amazing photos that have been posted on this forum so I am sure there are some folks that are more than able to point us in the correct direction on a good digital camera. Also how have you been doing lately I hope and pray your doing well. M&M
saxman

Post by saxman »

M&M I know that RJ takes woderful pictures, ecoaster is right in there.
Chris4570n his picture of the old barn shrouded in fog or snow or mist is on my desktop know.
Let us hear from you guys and guide us in the right direction
One feature I want is a timer so I can get in my own kill shot without a partner as most of my hunting is done solo.
At this point my friend my health is not good,mental attitude even worse.Marriage not so good either,i wont even bring up money,guess I just did.
God is testing me and I will be a good and faithfull servant and through him alone we will be healed,thayks for asking.How about you?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
hunter 740

camera

Post by hunter 740 »

MY wife has a cannon powershot S5IS 8 mega pix. memory.Cost her 350.00 takes good pics. and short videos.
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

If she wants to get serious with it , get her an SLR type digital. Canon,Nikon etc. . You can get kits with camera and 2 lens . I bought my Canon Rebel with 2 lens ( 50mm and a 75-300 zoom ). . I use it for outdoor photography . The kit was $1500 but has come down since I bought mine.
Also a lot of good point and shoot digitals out there. I highly advise you to find a camera shop that will explain the diff. in them . Nothing worse than having the wrong tool for the job. And expensive too .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I too have a Cannon S5 IS . . .it takes great pictures . . .see crazyfarmer's thread.

I can tell you this . . .the digital zoom is basically worthless when taking a quality picture.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bow4it

Post by bow4it »

Canon digital slr is the best route to go. It has a big learning curve, but it is worth it in the end. I can second the remarks made about the digital zoom.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

We use a SONY 7.2 Cyber-shot. It was worked well for family and trips, we print our own pic's. I use a wildview in the woods
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I think Nilon and Canon Digital SLR's are superior quality to my Pentax K100 D .. I have taken some good shots with it .. but lately more crummy shots than good shots ..

I wouldn't recommend t it to anyone ... I already have $$$ into it so I'm stuck with it ..
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Nikon D300 :wink:

check out these sites
http://nikon.ca/en/
http://www.canon.ca/english/home.asp

Good Luck with whatever camera you decide and have fun! :D
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Optical zoom is the only zoom worth mentioning. Digital zoom only magnifies the exsisting image. You can see the pixels get bigger as you use the digital zoom.

I use a Canon S3 point and shoot. It has 12x zoom, with image stabilization. Macro and super macro capability. Plus there are many manual functions you can use to be creative or have more control over how the picture will look. It's, IMO, one of the best point and shoots you could get. I've got many enlargements, 8x10, done and they look great.

If I could afford two cameras I would get a digital SLR, with a big, fast lens(600mm). A couple smaller lenses, macro and a small zoom/wide angle. But I wouldn't get rid of the S3. The smaller point and shoot is great because you can tuck it inside your jacket while hunting.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Some of the point and shoot digitals have come a long way. I have been shooting a Nikon Coolpix L1 for a few years now. It is a 6.2mpixel point and shoot job, autofocus, can take videos, etc. I am really pleased with it but I wanted to make the jump to a digital SLR mainly for higher resolution and more zoom for getting pics of those far off critters. I purchased a Nikon D40X, with two lenses (18-55mm and 70-300mm) off ebay. Saved a bundle by buying as part of a package deal. You can take some really nice photos with a not so expensive camera. Just look at different angles and lighting to "create" a great photo. It takes a bit more time and thought, but it is worth it when you get a great one.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!