Spring Bear????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaGriz

Spring Bear????

Post by DaGriz »

Anybody going to do a spring bear hunt? What's the scoop for a nonresident alien getting a bear permit? Used to go to Ontario north of Thunder Bay some 20+ yrs ago for spring bear hunt. Now I can't even remember where I went. :? I think it was close to Maddis Lake

Been thinking it would be nice to go once again but I'm betting outfitter and gude fees make it cost prohibitive to an old retired guy like me. :cry:
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

no more spring hunt
sleddog2

Post by sleddog2 »

I have checked a few outfitters in Ontario & their rates are on average $1895 CDN for a 7 day trip. There is no Spring Bear hunt anymore much to the chargrin of my Northern friends. There are lots of bears that need to be harvested.

Sleddog
ehntr

S Shore of Gitchee Gumi

Post by ehntr »

Consider MB for spring bear. Lots of good bear country....close to Winnipeg even (Sandilands Provincial Forest area). Probably not any further than going to Thunder Bay....maybe even closer? I dont know if you are in MI or WI though. What about MN?
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I'm in Upper Mighigan , the western end on the South Shore of Lake Michigan . Winnipeg isn't all that far from me . Might check there but I'm afraid that oufitter costs make it prohibitve, Especially since I'm on a declining income!

warningshot

Post by warningshot »

no spring bear hunt in ontario.....may want to try quebec or manitoba....i have to wait til the middle aug here
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Early winter season only here.

Plenty of 'em around, though (maybe that's why).

I saw the tracks of a whopper on our dirt road last week. Well over 550 ... and they're just now starting to graze wheat! There are bears well over 600 killed in this area every year. The boar that left these tracks was a monster!

Too bad we can't hunt 'em in the spring. :?
Grizz
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Damn shame that the freaking bunny huggers have gotten the spring bear seasons canceled . We have far too many bear where I live. Hunting is only in the fall and by drawing only. Season is short and still hunters have to compete with the hound hunters. Pretty tough to get a bear as they go completely nocturnal once the hounds start running them.

I can fondly remember the days when I hunted spring bear in Ontario with a couple of well know archers, now deceased. We had some great times together. Now they and our mutual friends are long gone :cry: plus there is no more spring bear hunting. Something is really wrong with this picture :?

ehntr

Post by ehntr »

DaGriz wrote:I'm in Upper Mighigan , the western end on the South Shore of Lake Michigan . Winnipeg isn't all that far from me . Might check there but I'm afraid that oufitter costs make it prohibitve, Especially since I'm on a declining income!
Upper Michigan but not quite a Yooper lol. I used to live in Sault Ste. Marie........many years ago. I was just there a couple weeks ago visiting my Mother.

Yeah......Ontario, no offense to the many fine residents of that province...but I can't see me leaving AB for ON any time soon....make that never.