Arrow speeds out of your Phoenix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

No, not a mystery at all. If one is as analytical as I, the reasons should appear quite obvious and make sense, but then again I might be totally out in left field. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
BUCKSHOT

ComfyBear

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Hey Comfybear

If you are Comfy with your thoughts, why won't you share them?
Qiut beatting around the bush, I know that can be fun sometimes :lol: but tell us what you mean!
Last edited by BUCKSHOT on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy the Harvest!
BUCKSHOT

Phoenix Poop

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Vixen kicks butt!
307 fps -$80.00 by todays value compared to the Phoenix. PHooooof.
Now they make the vixen with the super duper angled riser yeewho.

If anyone has an older straight riser for sale, let me know would ya'
Enjoy the Harvest!
xbowking

Re: Phoenix Poop

Post by xbowking »

BUCKSHOT wrote:Vixen kicks butt!
307 fps -$80.00 by todays value compared to the Phoenix. PHooooof.
Now they make the vixen with the super duper angled riser yeewho.

If anyone has an older straight riser for sale, let me know would ya'
You are getting 307 fps from a Vixen ?? , what arrows & string are you using ? that is fast for a Vixen . that angled riser really pumped the speed up.
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
ComfyBear

Re: ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

BUCKSHOT wrote:If you are Comfy with your thoughts, why won't you share them?
Qiut beatting around the bush, I know that can be fun sometimes :lol: but tell us what you mean!
OK, IMO certain manufacturing decisions made it necessary to change the Vixen's rail to 13.5", which I think made good business sense. In turn that decision revealed certain factors, which then I think made it clear that the Phoenix's rail should be 14.5".
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

xbowking wrote: You are getting 307 fps from a Vixen ?? , what arrows & string are you using ? that is fast for a Vixen . that angled riser really pumped the speed up.
Frank (BuckShot) is referring to a Vixen with a 14" rail and that he has modified with a homemade "accelerator" kit.

Personally, I prefer stability over speed.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

globemountain

Post by globemountain »

Boo wrote:
globemountain wrote:My Phoenix with FFF string shooting Excal/Firebolts with a 100gr. point averages 299.6 FPS measured through a chrony.
I have some heavier TenPoint elite arrows and they average 284.5 FPS through the chrony.
Any idea what your arrow weight those are globemountain?
I'm not sure. I don't have an arrow scale. I think the Firebolts are around 360-370 including the field point and I think the TenPoints are around 430 including the field point. The tenPoint arrows have a brass insert.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

My wife has a Vixen with a 14" rail (power stroke) in factory real tree hardwoods camo with magtip limbs , very nice bow . I bought it from a forum member on here , and now i cant remember what his name is . DARN ! ,well anyway it is in Mint shape and my wife loves it.
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
Boo

Post by Boo »

ComfyBear wrote:
xbowking wrote: You are getting 307 fps from a Vixen ?? , what arrows & string are you using ? that is fast for a Vixen . that angled riser really pumped the speed up.
Frank (BuckShot) is referring to a Vixen with a 14" rail and that he has modified with a homemade "accelerator" kit.

Personally, I prefer stability over speed.
Well I am interested. Frank, what's the scoop?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BUCKSHOT

O.K

Post by BUCKSHOT »

All right here is the scoop.
I am flying bolts at 307 with a modified straight riser out of a Vixen.
When I bought the bow I was sitting talking to my dealer, at the same time I was looking at the bow. It occured to me that if the rail was pushed forward you should be able to gain some fps.
I built a spacer kit with the same profile as the limb seat, which is about .800" and stuck it on the bow.
With the use of this kit I went from 281 fps to 307 fps with no ill effect to accuracy, string wear, blah blah, blah.
The whole thing seemed to be naturally awesome.

At this time we are working on a set which can be used on angled risers.

Every time you turn around Excalibur is coming out with something different! I have faced many challenges trying to keep up with their dimensional variations from bow to bow, through evolution.
I sure wish they will standarize their kit.
Then we can build universal enhancement kits without all the trouble involved.
I.E. the rail from an older 185 E-mag with cast riser has different dimensions than a riser which is machined.
They have different bolt diameters for the limb retaining bolts e.t.c. blah, blah, blah.
I have been very fortunate to be able to work with folks that are understanding and willing to overcome these variations to achieve the ultimate! Speed. Thank-You all!

At the end of the day I do agree with Comfy. Speed is not the greatest way to achieve your goal, as per filling the freezer. But there is a fine line when it comes to speed in my opinion.

A Vixen is more than enough bow to do the job on venison.
They are quiet, easy to cock, lighter than most e.t.c.

These modifications have been driven by our ability to improvise and improve just to say I told you so, Know what I mean!

The ideal bow to me would be the Exocet because it is in the realm of perfection for speed, maintenance, part longevity e.t.c. but because I can't afford to have multiple bows I turned my Vix into the equivalent of an Exocet.

There's the scoop.
Have a good day!
Enjoy the Harvest!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

BuckShot, I find it hard to believe that you are you getting 307 fps from your Vixen with the spacer kit?
If I'm reading correctly, what you've done is taken a Vixen with a straight riser, added .800" shims to increase the powerstroke from 14" to 14.8".

From my personal experience with Excalibur products I know that with my 2001 Exocet (straight riser, 15" powerstroke and rated at 165lbs draw weight) , using a FFF string and a 20" Easton XX75 2216 bolt, tipped with a 100gr fieldpoint, I was only getting a speed of 286 fps.

That being the case, am I missing something. How is it possible to get 307fps from your Vixen, which in effect has only a 14.8" powerstroke?

Besides, even if it's possible, wouldn't there be less complications, not to mention warranty issues, if one were to just get a 15" or 15.5" Exocet with a straight riser?
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Normous

Post by Normous »

I like Buckshots way of thinking. My 1992 165lb Exocet recieved the same treatment with a .920 riser extension, riser angled shims, mag tip limbs, FFF string. It chronographed GTII with 100gr tips at 318-319 fps. Reliably and accuratly. I wore out many strings on that one.
Everytime Excalibur came out with a new model I was quick to analize the new improvement and modify inexpensively, I might add, to gain the same improvement in my old Exocet.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BUCKSHOT

Huimm!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Trust me Comfy, I can prove it if you like!
She is a straight shooter like me.
Enjoy the Harvest!
ComfyBear

Re: Huimm!

Post by ComfyBear »

BUCKSHOT wrote:Trust me Comfy, I can prove it if you like!
She is a straight shooter like me.
Frank, I wasn't doubting you. I was just wondering how light an arrow you have to use, or if there was something you weren't telling us.

In any case, it's a moot point since I'm quite happy with both my Exocet 175 and Exomag 200, while I was never a fan of the Vixen.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

BUCKSHOT

Hey

Post by BUCKSHOT »

If I had two crossbows to choose from I would be happy as are you!
Actually I am happy with my rig.
It is totally functional, my arrow weight is 337 gr laser II.
I actually converted an older style riser to be fit with a set of light limbs (black) riser painted black, homemade stirrup (black) and a set of heavy alluminum arrows to suit an old black Vixen rail for my son's upcoming b-day, a gift to him.
I kept the front end from my Vixen for a quick swap need I go for a hunt.
I gave him the scope and all, he just doesn't know it yet. I also painted the stock black. the stock is new and was tan but I thought I should make it suit. It certainly does.
I guess I am good to go for a crossbow hunt but I am seriously considering changing over to a Compound, time will tell.
Thanks for the challenge their Comfy!
I don't have any secrets Bud!
Enjoy the Harvest!