Fall Turkey?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MADMAX2

Fall hunt!!

Post by MADMAX2 »

Don't shoot the messenger here I know that were having it and was wondering what are neigbors to south liked and disliked about it ,me personlly I wont have time but was interested in the pros and cons I didn't think it would be half as exciting the spring!!Thanks for the replies :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Fox

Post by Fox »

I am with you, curious.
DanO

Post by DanO »

I wonder how many hunters would actually target turkeys. I think they'll become an incidental. Not sure that does them justice. The spring turkey hunt is big partially because there isn't another option at that time of the year if you're a hunter. IMO

I've heard the MNR may close the bow hunt during the two week turkey hunt to avoid conflict. The same as they do with controlled hunts or rifle hunts. I wouldn't want to give up 2 weeks of October deer hunt for a turkey hunt. Between the turkey hunt and the controlled hunt that'll spook the crap out of the deer.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

For what its worth I can honestly understand both sides of the issue, myself as far as eating the bird I can't help but think they would be much better eating in the fall. After watching them pick thru cow sh@$ all winter in flocks of 40-70 where farmers are spreading in the fields :shock: I have to say I realy have to try not to think about that when my bird comes out of the fryer lol thank goodness they taste so good. Five or 6 months of feeding on prime crops just seems more appealing to me. I probly will not take the time as it would cut into my whitetail hunting, just my opinion is all.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

At the Turkey Seminar yesterday in St. jacobs they were saying the season will be the last 2 weeks of Oct., before the deer season opener. They also said your WMU will get a season if your have had 3 consecutive 3 of 200 birds harvested annually. No mention of gun/bow, but they did say shot size is the same as Spring season no bigger than 10 ga and no smaller than 20ga so if you're caught in the field carrying deer loads turkey hunting "Good Luck" and don't get caught.
mark
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think they should have a fall turkey season during the archery deer season.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Wait until you get Fishers in your area. Then you will not want any part in more Turkeys taken out of the flock you hunt. I do not know if they drive the Turkeys out of the area or they eat them. But I have a few areas that hold lots of birds all year long in the past. And since we have seen a number of Fishers in the area that we have never seen before. The Turkeys are very few now. And also finding lots of Turkey remains like piles of feathers and pieces of them scattered around the area. I do not like the idea of a fall hunt at all. Conserve your flock you hunt not deplete them.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I would most likely get the licence in the fall. If I happened to have one within rage, it would get a bolt slung at it from my tree stand. As far as the guys who are against it, what's the difference if someone is out there chasing turkeys, grouse, woodcock, rabbits, ducks, geese, or squirrels? The latter are all open to hunt in the fall. I have run ins with other hunters all the time who are not after deer.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!