Another reason to hunt XB

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Another reason to hunt XB

Post by Cossack »

All of the remaining venison contributed for food pantry distribution in three states is being dumped due to possible lead contamination. Studies show that well over 60 % of the study sample had lead fragments (most so small that they can only be seen on X ray). Over half million lbs were contributed by hunters in Minn. N.D. and Wisc. last season. No mention made of how much had already been consumed.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Wow that sounds like a lot of waste of good meat although in some cases it might be warranted.
chessy

Post by chessy »

so instead of starving to death .. they are worried about a little lead .. i think if i was in that situations i would take the lead
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Houses have been condemned because they have lead paint. Guess if you cry wolf often enough someone will hear it. I'd like to see a study which correlates consumption of lead-shot venison with mortality and/or serious diseases like kidney failure, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc
Personally, I'm not worried about it tho. Been shooting deer with all-copper Barnes bullets for years. Not so much because they contain no lead, but because provide awesome terminal performance. Nineteen consecutive one-shot kills, never a lost animal, speaks (volumes) for itself.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Wonder who thought of doing the study?????
Sounds like some of the antis might be involved.
I also wonder how much actual risk there really is from ingesting the lead fragments? Seem to me it would simply pass through your digestive tract and probably leave very little lead in your system???? (just guessing)
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

saxman

Post by saxman »

Lead has not messed me up a bit,my third arm comes in handy from time to time :shock: :shock:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

What a waste of food :cry: How have we made it through all these years eating venison shot with the old ammo of the 60's till now. my doctor is always concerned with my cholesterol levels and venison is the best meat around to combat that [he has never taken a blood test for lead in my system] This is just STUPID :o :? :shock: :(
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sounds like the result of anti-hunter tactics to me.

They do a lot of sneaky and subversive things behind the scenes. It would make sense for them to launch an attack against programs like Hunters for the Hungry, because many undecided and even some antis admit the good that comes from such efforts.

We should not underestimate their ability, or doubt the malice with which they operate.
Grizz
Cossack

Actually NOT

Post by Cossack »

QUOTE: "my doctor is always concerned with my cholesterol levels and venison is the best meat around to combat that"

Have red a comprehensive study which indicates that venison is no better for reducing cholesterol than beef. (Some) may appear lean but actually contains fat spread throughout the meat. Deer accumulate fat to survive lean times. A diet high in venison will have the same effect as any cholesterol rich diet.
maple

Post by maple »

????? :shock: Venison not leaner than beef????

Pardon my rant but: :wink:

Don't believe all the studies you read just because they were done by supposed experts. Including lead and fat studies.

Having worked in food-related research for 25years, I've seen my share of peer-reviewed bad science published in reputable international journals. There's more than one way to get your work in print.

As we say in research, and in court,
'For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.'

When I cook a venison roast and get no fat in my pan juices, it's because the meat is low in total fat. (% cholesterol ?) Not the same result for beef.

When I eat ducks and grouse laden with #5 and #6 shot, I'm more concerned about the pesticide residues than the relatively inert lead.

I've deleted most of this rant for purposes of brevity.

I would'a taken some of that venison......
TYE

Post by TYE »

saxman wrote:Lead has not messed me up a bit,my third arm comes in handy from time to time :shock: :shock:

:lol:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I make lots of deer stew and soup dishes, and can say that the meat from our local deer definitely has much less fat than lean cuts of beef. It's easy to tell because of the amount of congealed fat that can be skimmed off of the top of refrigerated broth. Lean beef often leaves a layer on the entire top surface. Many times, deer meat leaves only a few dots. Proof's in the skimmin' ... at least it is with deer around here, which may not be as fat as those big ol' northern cows with antlers ya'll call deer. :wink: I guess they need it, 'cause someone forgot to turn the heat on up there! :lol:

I don't worry about it anyway. Thankfully, my overall cholesterol is about 138, and my good cholesterol levels are very high. I hope they stay that way! :D :D

Bring on the venison!
Grizz
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I like to get all my venison ground except for back straps and tenderloin,
That way I can do chili,spaghetti,meatloaf,etc what ever I want to use it for.
I think much healthier than ground beef from the store. Leaner is better.
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

I think this lead thing is being blown way out of porportion. I have been eating game birds that I have harvest with a shotgun, ocasionally with a lead shot still in the meat for 20+ years.I also cast bullets and am exposed to some lead fumes ( try to minimize it as much as possible but I don't worry about it) I belong to a forum about casting bullets and many of the older gents there have been casting for decades and have lower lead levels in there blood than the average population. A little common sense would go a long way but common sense isn't as common as we would like to believe.