turkey chockes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Livtahunt

turkey chockes

Post by Livtahunt »

i know this is a crossbow site but im sure most of us our hunters who use various weapons....i have a remington 870 express and im looking for a good choke tube for it....i dont plan on shooting past 40 yrads...i have a h.s. strut undertaker choke tube now and it just dosent hold a good pattern past 25 yards for me....i have heard good things about the kicks gobblin thunder tube...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I'm pretty sure the one I have is a Remington Super full turkey choke with straight rifling. Patterns out to 40 yards have always been good. Although I prefer the birds to be closer.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I'm going to test a Primos Jellyhead and a tightwad in mine on Tuesday, I'll let you know the results. :wink:

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Chris , A turkey choke with rifling ? ? ? ?
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

A .660 2" Extended Rhino Choke a shooting 501L #4 copper x 5 copper x 7 hevishot® 250-270 pellets.

http://www.rhinochokes.com/main.htm

Bad boy choke for bad boy shells......
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
josh1963

Choke tubes

Post by josh1963 »

Whats the constriction of your choke?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Tuskntine asked
Chris , A turkey choke with rifling ? ? ? ?
Yes it is made by Briley .Out of my 870 they throw a very nice pattern that the turkeys have not been able to avoid . :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Can't help on that ... I've never had one!

I have had great success with the standard full-choke screw-in that came with my Winchester 1300. I'm sure the aftermarket tubes tighten patterns as advertised, but I'm not sure they're as necessary as the marketers portray them to be. Turkey populations in many areas were eliminated with standard choke shotguns! And I'm sure that they are a disadvantage on a very close-in bird, because they tighten groups so much that you almost need rifle sights to ensure a hit. Ive known people to miss birds five yards away, and fringe them at 10 or 15!

From what I've seen myself, heard from others and watched on hunting DVDs, a pop-up blind would be a better investment than an aftermarket choke tube.

Of course, I guess we could have both! :D :D

Maybe a double would be best ... one barrel especially tight, and one in I/C ... good to go up close or far away.
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have good luck with the Undertaker, I may try something new after this season just for fun, but right now I am getting great patterns out to 40 yards, that is as far as I have shot it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

My first year hunting turkeys, a guy sold me an H.S. Undertaker choke as a "turkey choke". It patterned like crap. At the end of the season I pulled it out and noticed it said Undertaker Waterfowl on it. I put it up to the light with my mod choke and they were about the same inside diameter. I now have the Primos Tight Wad Turkey Choke and it's inside diameter is a lot smaller :D . Pattern is great out to 40 yards. I still use the other choke for it's intended purpose of bringing down ducks and geese.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

What Grizzly Adam says is so true.

I use a HS Strut Undertaker, and I find it is deadly at 35-40 yards On a couple of occasions I've shot at turkeys which were between 17-20 only to have them run, then shooting and dropping them dead at 35 to 40 yards.

LIvtahunt, before you give up on the HS Strut, you might try using different ammo. I've tried number 5 & 6 Winchester XX Magnum 2 3/4" loads, and have found that my Rem. 1100 patterns better with the number 6s
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

ComfyBear wrote:What Grizzly Adam says is so true.

I use a HS Strut Undertaker, and I find it is deadly at 35-40 yards On a couple of occasions I've shot at turkeys which were between 17-20 only to have them run, then shooting and dropping them dead at 35 to 40 yards.

LIvtahunt, before you give up on the HS Strut, you might try using different ammo. I've tried number 5 & 6 Winchester XX Magnum 2 3/4" loads, and have found that my Rem. 1100 patterns better with the number 6s
I concur, try some different loads before you buy another choke it is cheeper to buy shells than chokes. I use Winchester extended range Elite in #6 3" with an Undertaker out of my 870 Wingmaster and I get more pellets in the kill zone at 50yrds than alot of other loads I have tried at 35yrds. And the downrange energy is far superior as the shot used in this load is more dense than lead. I took both my birds and a yote beyond 40yrds last year with no follow up needed none travelled more than a few feet including the yote.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

different shells can work wonders:)

in my 11-87 I use the truglo xtreme which patterns very well out to 30yards for my with winchestor HV 4's. I tried the kicks and 3-4 other tubes but the 19buck truglo did the best for me:)

I tried the feberal shells also which supposed have that wad which improves flight and they actaully did the worst for me