border crossing for bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fogducker

border crossing for bows

Post by fogducker »

with the canadain and usa borders..can bows be shipped to either side with out a problem?
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have mailed xbows t0 the US with no trouble. I have gotten xbows and verts from US, most times you will have to pay duty on your purchace.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You never know with customs, some days things slide through other days they seize cotton balls for safety reasons. A lot of it is how the shipper describes it, it is never wise to lie but the wording can be changed a bit to assist in it's passing. As an example, I ship and receive flashlights from all over the globe, if it is packaged as a "flashlight" it can get held longer than if I disassemble it and ship it as "flashlight parts".
I am buying a new tomahawk from the US, the company says if they change the wording from "tomahawk" to "hunting tool" the customs delays will be minimized.
Using a major carrier like UPS will help too, but the shipping often equals the value of the item. There is no definitive answer as to hold ups, it's all about which way the wind is blowing.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

have mailed xbows t0 the US with no trouble. I have gotten xbows and verts from US, most times you will have to pay duty on your purchace.
on average how much would the duty be?..
sorry for all the dumb questions :oops: but im in the market for a bow,and i need to know if i should forget about the sales on the states side
fletch

Post by fletch »

PST + GST that's it. There can be considerable savings shopping to the south but it does affect your local dealer don't forget. Make sure you know what you want before you order.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Pydpiper wrote:
Using a major carrier like UPS will help too, but the shipping often equals the value of the item. There is no definitive answer as to hold ups, it's all about which way the wind is blowing.
UPS can be expensive, they have a hrokerage fee that can get up to 40 or 50 % of the cost. Cost me $60 for a $125 order.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

UPS can be expensive, they have a hrokerage fee that can get up to 40 or 50 % of the cost. Cost me $60 for a $125 order.
wow that could get quite $$$ on a half decent bow..
maybe i should just put up an ad and hope like hell a good deal is found in the gta area for me..
any one know of places in the gta or surrounding area that deal in used bows?
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Whoa................don't be discouraged with cross border bow shipping. I have sent and received many. There are no legal restrictions or prohibitions on bows including crossbows. Describe what it is on the customs declaration i.e., crossbow, compound bow, longbow, recurve bow. That is what is required (along with the value). These items will cross the border just as fast (or slow) as any other item of similar size. Do not use UPS....as stated they charge outrageuous brokerage fees. Use POST (USPS/Canada Post). two weeks is the normal turn-around time I have been experiencing....doesn't matter if it's sent priority or not.......customs will slow it down. Shipments received in Canada that are over $40 are subject to a $5 customs handling fee plus the applicable PST/GST.....if the bow is made in the USA/CANADA/MEXICO there are no other customs duties (NONE). So $5 to Canada Post on behalf of customs is a lot more economical than paying $100 to UPS for brokerage fees.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I tried to order a crossbow a few years ago and Cabelas would not sent it because of the border issues.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

new paradox wrote:I tried to order a crossbow a few years ago and Cabelas would not sent it because of the border issues.
That's not so much a border issue as a Cabela's issue. I tried to buy an electric filleting knife from them and they wouldn't ship it to Canada. I even went so far as to speak to a supervisor. It's company policy. That got me mad, so I wrote the company. I got a nice letter saying that they had too many problems with Customs, so they won't ship anything that's weapons related. Whatever a "weapon" is.

ehntr knows what he's talking about on your shipping question.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.