Red Tail Hawk ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Red Tail Hawk ...

Post by R.J. »

April 13th

Doing some scouting today ... I happend on this cool scene ~

Two turkey vultures watching a Red Tail Hawk on a skunk carcass ...

As I got closer ... 1 turkey vulture took off and the other marched around the Hawk spreading his wings trying to bluff the Hawk off the carcass .. he eventaully turned towards me and stayed in this fanned position ...

When I was approx 15 feet away ... he stood defiant , then he flew off and circled around in the background ..

The Hawk seemed to ignored me , and gulped down more meat ...

I was real surprised that he let me get up to within 6 feet of him .... he watches one of the turkey vutures circle past ..

I took another step and snapped this frame before I backed off and let him eat in peace .... besides , they skunk carcass was still very pungent ! , And I had all my nostrils would take !!

See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Very, very nice pictures!! :D
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Big John

pic

Post by Big John »

RJ: That Hawk Pic, up close eating, is way to Cool!! 8) 8) :)
Beautiful Shot!!

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

wow, awesome pics RJ
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Very, very,.....very jealous. Awesome pics. Would have loved to have been there.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Digger

Post by Digger »

WOW, super pics Rick. Makes eating the a$$hole out of a skunk seem almost palatable. Keep the pics coming. :) :) :D :D
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BUCKSHOT

Hey R.J.

Post by BUCKSHOT »

R.J.
How are ya!
I think animals know your intent and you are fortunate to get such awesome pictures. I guess you get a lot better pictures when your not on the couch!
Way to go!
BTW did you know they opened Turkey in 53 a/b? We have 200 acres in our area to hunt this season. Hopefully WJ and I can bag a bird or two without as much travel and work as prior. We also have 100 acres in Midland if need be.
I think the Birds up here took a hard hit this year, so we may be Midland bound! There are supposed to be many birds around our new properties, so Wayne and I will be up for a pre-scout soon.
There is still a ton of snow in the bush though, so we haven't made it out yet!
Time is getting near, I guess next weekend or so we will scout some South facing hillsides and fields.
Were you out scouting when you got those fine pics?
I hope all is well and you carry on the with the awesome picture taking that we all look forward too!
Cheers!
Enjoy the Harvest!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Those are some Great pictures 8) Thank You for takeing the time to share them with us :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Very nice pictures! :)
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Awesome close ups. Hawks must have a very poor sense of smell :lol: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Wow.. That was awesome!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

I had just confirmed 2008 turkey season permission at a farm I have hunted for years ... I always check every year to make sure nothing has changed .

I noticed two dark shapes at the back of the next property .... I thought they were turkeys and I wanted to try a spot and stalk for some pictures ... so I drove around the farm and parked on the next concession road .

When I glassed them I saw they were turkey vultures and at that distance the Hawk blended in pretty well ..

I was real surprised how close I got ... they were all obviously hungry ! ...

I have a picture of an imature gosshawk from years ago that would not leave a pheasant kill and I was able to get within feet of him as well ...

The turkey vutlures interacting with the hawk are what makes that series of shots unique ... a break from the usual waterfowl , deer and turkeys shots !

When I walked back to my truck on the consession road , I had drawn a crowd ... A couple of vehicles had stopped to watch as I walked into the field... Then two more stopped to see what they were looking at .... One couple thought it was a pair of turkey vultures protecting their baby ! :lol:

In the right place at the right time ! Cool series of shots for my 2008 photo journal !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
saxman

Post by saxman »

Theres a hunter for ya. Nice pictures R.J. :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Nice oictures RJ.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
Fox

Post by Fox »

Amazing pics, I may have to pick your brain once I get the Digital SLR I am looking for this summer.