New member with a few questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sitkaspruce

New member with a few questions

Post by Sitkaspruce »

Hi Everyone

I live in BC on Vancouver Island. I work in the forest Industry and guide moose, bear and goat hunters in the fall. I primarily hunt deer and moose with the odd big bear. I do not hunt from a tree stand, I enjoy still hunting and spot and stalk.

I have Essential Tremour, a disorder that causes uncontrolled tremours in my body. Right now it is in my arms, hands and shoulders, more in the left than the right. It has caused me to give up shooting archery w/ a compound. I am now looking at a getting a crossbow but have a few questions.

I shoot a rifle no problem, but mostly with the aid of a bi-pod or a rest (tree, stump etc.) Also, I do not have access to a shop that carries crossbows, they are 4 hours away, so I have not held to many off them.

How is the balance of a crossbow? More weight forward or towards the butt? Can you change the balance?
Can you still hunt with them and shoot off a stump or tree?
How about mounting a bi-pod?
How difficult is it to still hunt with a cross bow? Are they primarily for stand hunting?
I am looking at a Phoenix as it seems the best for ease of use and power. Is it strong enough for the big black bears here on the Island or moose?

Sorry for all the questions. I sold my Hoyt V-Tec and have some $ for a cross-bow that is burning a hole in my pockets :D . My wife is rolling her eyes as she says I already have too much hunting "stuff" :? :?: :roll:

Cheers

SS
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hello Sitkaspruce

The first thing you will learn at this forum is you never have to say your sorry for asking a question.

The second thing you will learn is what a great bunch of people inhabit this forum and how knowledgeable they are regarding crossbows.

And the third thing you will find out in short order is how willing these people are to share their knowledge.

I am not the most technical person here at the forum so I will leave it to the better qualified to answer your specific questions.

I am qualified however to give you a big old Image
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome Sitka! :D

How is the balance of a crossbow? More weight forward or towards the butt?

More weight forward.

Can you change the balance?

Yes. Weight can be added to the butt.

Can you still hunt with them and shoot off a stump or tree?

Yes. Stump, no problem. Tree ... so long as your contact point is behind the angle of the string when your bow is cocked.

How about mounting a bi-pod?

Absolutely.

How difficult is it to still hunt with a cross bow? Are they primarily for stand hunting?

Depends on how thick the brush is where you hunt. They do require a certain clearance to negotiate, and are bulky and heavy to carry compared to a compound.

I am looking at a Phoenix as it seems the best for ease of use and power. Is it strong enough for the big black bears here on the Island or moose?

Without doubt. Pass throughs in the vital area, no problem.

Enjoy the experience! :D
Grizz
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Welcome, Excalibur crossbows are fairly easy to get through the bush with , some tight spots you have to do some twisting and tilting as you go but that is just in real tight stuff , most bush going is easy . The Phoenix is a great crossbow it will perform great on any large game animal , and is not hard to cock even by hand if you had to get a second shot off in a hurry . I feel a spot and stalk would be easier with a crossbow. :D .
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Hello and a BIG Welcome to the forum. I will allso leave the real technical questions to the more experienced. All i can say when i first started to get into crossbow hunting in August All my questions were answered right here and i have never looked back, Excellent advice here. and i now own 2 of these beautiful Weapons and just love them :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D First of all welcome to the best forum bar none. :D
As stated before the phoenix is more than enough bow for bears and such .As for spot and stalk ,anything you could do with your vertical bow ,you should be able to do with the crossbow.
Where on the island are you ? Was stationed in esquimalt for 6 years.
Esox

Post by Esox »

I'll add to the chorus of WELCOMES... Also don't ever hesitate to ask a question of this Forum... These are among the most informative and giving group I've seen... and it's not ONLY about crossbows either... There are many folks here that write about their "life" conditions too and ask for help when it's needed, so feel free to speak your piece....

But back your questions...I can concure with what has been written here already... What you described as your favorite way of hunting fits very well with a crossbow.... They are a bit bulky at first for stalking but many of the group hunt that way... They are for all intents and purposes a single shot form of archery... The second shot can happen but don't bank on it.... They are typically very balanced and steady to shoot offhand.. Small additions can be made to adjust length of pull and weight stabilizers if needed but usually they're fine right out of the box... And most important they are FUN to shoot and very ACCURATE !!!

After you've shot one a few times, you'll see that the "disavantages" are minor and you'll get used to the challenge of hunting with a crossbow very quickly...

So for now... Try any of the Excalibur line. They are all top quality products.... (Phoenix model is excellent) and enjoy and....

Welcome to the Forum
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!! If you scroll down to the topic " Horton knee rest for crossbow" you'll find how some bi-pods are mounted .
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Just one more piece of advice , put a scope on your crossbow , makes a world of difference :) .
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
Digger

Post by Digger »

Welcome to the forum Sitka. I use Steddy Eddy by Ten Point, it steadies your aim vastly. Adjust the rod into your gut and it will steadt your xbow.
It improved my accuracy.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
diesel

Post by diesel »

Big welcome glad your here.
:D
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Since most of your questions have already been answered I'll just throw in a welcome for now. But I'll also add that I am a spot and stalk type hunter myself and find it much easier with the crossbow than with a vertical. I most always hunt from the ground and its a big advantage to not have to make all the movement in drawing back the bow before your shot. And when I'm sitting, my knee is all I need for a good steady prop. Welcome aboard!
Why ride when you can walk!
maple

Post by maple »

Welcome Sitka,

First of all, tell your wife you just GOTTA have one of those Phoenixi(sp?). She'll understand :wink: and you'll love the Excalibur products.

The great thing about crossbows is you can shoot freehand, or with a bipod, stump, rock, or like in the western movies, get your horse to lie down and shoot over him. :lol: No problem. I like to sit leaning against a tree and use my knee for support. Not something you can do with a vert bow.

Since the maximum advisable distance for shooting game is about 30 yards, you may want to give grizzly bear huntin' a pass.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Welcome, I think everything has been said above, you will love the Excals.