Landowner Permission

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay73

Landowner Permission

Post by jay73 »

I never realized it before, but I talked to the Ontario MNR today and they informed me that any hunter hunting private property must carry landowner permission on them at all times.

Maybe everyone else knows this already, but it's new to me. I used to hunt north of Brampton, and I know that this has been in effect for Peel Region for some time now(and probably some other regions), but didn't know the same applies for all of the province.

I thought I'd post this for anyone else that was oblivious. Happy hunting!!

Jay
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Yeah, it is a good idea, because we want to cut down on trespassing. I should say as well that there is some tresspassing on this property, I just haven't run into it yet. :? I did a bit of deer hunting here last fall as well.

The landowner asked me yesterday if I needed him to sign anything, I told him no, but after talking to the MNR today, I went back and told him I'd bring him some paperwork.

Jay
Adam

Post by Adam »

If i was asked to sign something along these lines i would make it clear that this was not a liability waiver, taking on responsibility if the hunter got injured. I have gotten the answer "I am not going to say no but, I am not going to say yes" has anyone else gotten this response before?
TPM

Post by TPM »

Maybe everyone else knows this already, but it's new to me. I used to hunt north of Brampton, and I know that this has been in effect for Peel Region for some time now(and probably some other regions), but didn't know the same applies for all of the province.
I don't think it does. I know some regions and townships have this requirement but it's not a province wide thing. It is necessary to obtain permission under the Trespass to Property Act but it's not always a requirement to carry a signed permission slip. With all due respect to the MNR staff I do know that I have gotten wrong and conflicting answers from them in the past. If anyone can prove me wrong please speak up.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TYE

Post by TYE »

Smart idea, but I've never heard of it being mandatory.. :?:
huntman

Post by huntman »

I believe this is only in affect if the property is POSTED no tresspassing or private property. That doesnt mean that if a property is not posted you would not need to ask for permission it simply means you can hunt on it without the paper. That is how the MNR explained it to the farmer that i hunt on his land.
TYE

Post by TYE »

huntman wrote:I believe this is only in affect if the property is POSTED no tresspassing or private property. That doesnt mean that if a property is not posted you would not need to ask for permission it simply means you can hunt on it without the paper. That is how the MNR explained it to the farmer that i hunt on his land.
That makes sense.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

In NC, we have County Laws in addition to the state laws ... imagine how confusing that can be!

Here in Tyrrell, requiring written permission from the landowner was one of the changes I helped to implement in 2007, in addition to banning hunting from the state right of way. It makes it much harder for tresspassers to do their thing, 'cause the law has a solid case if they don't have written permission.

Here's a hint:

Get some business card stock, and using a business card template on some computer software program, make up a simple permission card, like this:

I, ____________________________________________ ,

hereby grant permission to

to hunt on my

____________________________ County, NC property

in the year ____________________________ .

That's all that's required here. No liability is granted or assumed. Of course, they can say more, but it's good to keep them as simple as you can, and to use big print and blanks!

The card-sized forms are easy to carry, and you can keep some blanks on you so when you "run into" someone whose property you'd like to hunt, you already have them.
Grizz
jay73

Post by jay73 »

TPM wrote: With all due respect to the MNR staff I do know that I have gotten wrong and conflicting answers from them in the past.
This is true, and I have only talked to them once on this matter. I will try again on Monday and see if I get a different answer, but I've stated what I've been told.

Has anyone else heard this?

Jay
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Another good reason for written permission, if your hunting"your lands" that you and your family and friends have hunted forever and one day you drive into the usual spot and BEHOLD a new vehicle. Noone else in the main group said they were going to be here today. You walk in with Blaze Orange( safety first) and meet up with the other party. You ask do you have permission. Oh ya "Bill" gave me the OK yesterday. Sorry but the landowners name is Steve and you need written permission and must be known to the family. I talked to other hunters who have had this problem and it ends quietly and noone gets angry. These days we need to be more respectful to the landowner as development keeps making farmlands smaller and narrowing our prime hunting areas.
Mark
DaGriz

Permission slip with liability release

Post by DaGriz »

Here's a permission agreement that is used in several states here is the US. Just copy, paste and print,

Permission for Hunting or Trapping on Private Land

Permission is hereby granted to the undersigned sportsperson for hunting/trapping
on land owned by the undersigned landowner or their agent for the
date(s) listed
and according to the conditions stated on the reverse side of this permit.
In accepting this permit, I agree to assume and release the landowner from any or
all liability for personal injuries, property damage, or for the loss of life or property
resulting from, or in any way connected with the issuance of this permit.
Hunting/Trapping Permission Period: (check one) _____ Daily _____Seasonal
Date(s) ____/_____/_____ to ____/____/____
________________________________________ _________________
Sportsperson’s Signature Today’s Date
Hunting License No. ______________________________________________
Sportsperson’s Address: ____________________________________________
(street)

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Adam,
Yes I've gotten that response as well. I think around here you are only required to have written permission if the land is posted. It helps to always have written permission because a landowner may give others that you do not know permission to hunt the same land. Any confrontation could be quickly resolved if you have proper written permission. Especially if they cannot produce equivalent permission.

I've hunted on private property in Virginia that past four years which I have verbally asked the landowner each year if I could hunt the upcoming season. Due to overpopulation he is very happy to grant access. He will NOT however sign anything giving me written permission. I've asked a few times. I guess some folks just aren't the kind to sign something. The form in Virginia even says the landowner would not be liable your actions while hunting on their property.

DuckHunt
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Went to the local MNR office Tuesday and they told me no, it wasn't mandatory to carry permission to hunt from the property owner. Sorry for the confusion, was just going on what I was told. :roll:

Jay